Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Time to close the USPS?
Yes 32 16.75%
No 146 76.44%
Unsure 7 3.66%
Other 6 3.14%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,119,866 times

Advertisements

Mandatory prefunding of pensions. It's been a problem ever since this brilliant idea came along. Read about it here ... The Truth About The Post Office's Financial Mess .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 03:02 PM

45,304 posts, read 60,476,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
You're lost in your own words. The bold are exactly the same thing. USPS accepts mail and packages. Amazon accepts products of all sizes (for the most part) and sends them to customers.

There's nothing different between the two ways of how they operate. Hiring people to package products at Amazon vs. not at USPS does nothing significant, it's just a minor detail in the large distribution network.

The only thing you need to worry about is how does the input (mail/products, etc..) reach the output (destination) in an efficient manner.

Possibly. But, then again, Amazon doesn't present itself as a carrier. So maybe you're the one who's tangled up a bit.

But you're so dead set that the more expensive UPS and FedEx (and loss prone, at least in my experience, as well as slower, again in my experience) are somehow "better" than USPS, which also offers a much wider range of services.

I can only go by my own, as well as others experience. When I order something from a single vendor which has to be split up between USPS and either UPS or FedEx the Post Office part of the shipment arrives days sooner and in better shape. And with FedEx the chance of the item being misdelivered runs about 40%.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:07 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,191,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
One of the complaints is that USPS has consolidated into regional sorting facilities. An example would be that if I mail a letter from where I am to the next town it goes 50 miles away to the regional facility instead of a local truck 5 miles.
Which is a more efficient way to do things. Filling up one truck to go to a regional sort center which then sends them to the other local offices in other full trucks is cheaper than using 10 1/4 full trucks at each local office to go to the other local offices.

FedEx and UPS to the exact same thing. I'm in Boston and use FedEx Ground. If I ship a package to Maine, it goes to a local hub 5 miles away and then 85 miles south to Willington, CT. From there, it goes to Saco, ME passing within about 10 miles of the origin hub on it's way north. The difference is that both those trucks were full. Going from the local hub to Maine would be less than full.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 PM

3,355 posts, read 1,231,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
44 cents for a letter is something that every American can afford. Just what would UPS or Fed Express charge for the same service?
Because it is so affordable....that is why it is so n debt and needs to go. Or find a way to make it break even

Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,510,651 times
I think we could cut back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday residential delivery.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,699,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think we could cut back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday residential delivery.
I would support cutting back government jobs as long as we end farm subsidies and any other money that benefits the private sector. It is interesting how Republicans hate government jobs but stay silent when money is coming directly into their own pockets.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,191,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Because it is so affordable....that is why it is so n debt and needs to go. Or find a way to make it break even
Actually, the Post Office would be profitable if it weren't required by a Bush 43 era Congressional mandate that has them pre-fund retirement benefits for employees 75 years out. In 2016, the USPS "lost" $200 million dollars but had to put $5.8 billion in that retirement fund - without the mandate, it would have made a profit of $5.6 billion.

No other organization in the United States is required to put money away today for employees it has yet to hire or in some cases, have yet to be born.

https://about.usps.com/news/national...6/pr16_092.htm

Note - I don't work for the USPS or have any stake in it. I just think it's stupid to put such an onerous requirement on the agency.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:46 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,510,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would support cutting back government jobs as long as we end farm subsidies and any other money that benefits the private sector. It is interesting how Republicans hate government jobs but stay silent when money is coming directly into their own pockets.
I was speaking from more of a practicality standpoint. One day a week mail delivery would work for me. I bet 3 days a week would work for most people. I'm a union person, have been for 30+ years but I do not believe in protecting obsolete jobs and never have even though many of my fellow union workers do. I believe in the end better jobs result.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,012,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
44 cents for a letter is something that every American can afford.
Its now 49 cents. The post office gave out raises & bonuses. As if they don't make enough already.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,674,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Plenty.

Cut back delivery days to five or even three days a week.

Charge more for bulk (junk) mail.

Reduce employee benefits.

Sell more products and services.

Move small postal offices into small stores, such as 7-11s.

Allow the delivery of alcohol.

There's lots they can do.
The bold is probably the only thing that would make a dent. Cutting delivery in half (3 days a week instead of 6) would maybe require fewer employees. However, they'd have twice the mail to deliver, so the difference in hours might not be much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies