Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

This is a six year old thread. Hopefully, this has worked itself out by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 05:07 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
No money for him. But they could be good pals and each give him $10,000 to soften the blow.
I play the lottery consistently and have regular numbers I play all the time. On July 4th, the Pa lottery machines went down. I thought that if my numbers came up and I wasn't able to play them due to their technical problem, they'd still have to pay me. Or they would REALLY wish they had.
Luckily for all concerned the lottery machines came back on. My numbers didn't win, though.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:45 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
We had a pool on job sites co=ordinated by one guy; if you wanted to stay in but you were posted to another site, on vacation, or just off for a few weeks as you were waiting to travel, you made arrangement with this co-ordinator to stay in th e pool. His brother ran a pool on another site, and they won fairly large, enough that all the winners paid off their house. just because he was off for some kind of reason doesn't mean he couldn't have made arrangements to keep in the game.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:02 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Ok, So I'm watching HLN yesterday and vinnie politan starts talking about this man that had played the lottery with his co-workers for 8 years. Never missed putting money into it. They had never won anything. Something had happened to the mans back forcing him to leave work and go on disability. He had been out for 3 months total. The man hadn't put money into the lotto for the entire time he had missed work.

The co-workers end up winning the lottery. Now the man is sueing them because they refuse to give him what would have been his share of 99 million dollars had he still been at work playing.

What do you think? Is he entitled to a share of the money even though he hadn't been paying to play?

Discuss!

No !!! Bold above !!! No pay no play !!!

Old 12-08-2020, 11:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Geez what a bunch of Scrooges in this thread not wanting the poor guy to get a dime.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:16 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Geez what a bunch of Scrooges in this thread not wanting the poor guy to get a dime.
Poor guy decided not to play for 3 months.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:50 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Why couldn't these instant millionaires find within their hearts to go together and give their former co-worker and lottery playmate, at least a partial share? Considering that the only reason he hadn't continued putting money into their lottery fund was his disability, you'd think they'd feel better about themselves if they showed a bit of generosity. It's just a thought and maybe the Political Forum is the wrong place to find support for such things?

Old 12-09-2020, 03:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Why couldn't these instant millionaires find within their hearts to go together and give their former co-worker and lottery playmate, at least a partial share? Considering that the only reason he hadn't continued putting money into their lottery fund was his disability, you'd think they'd feel better about themselves if they showed a bit of generosity. It's just a thought and maybe the Political Forum is the wrong place to find support for such things?
For once we agree on something.

OP doesn’t say how many coworkers there were, but she does say the pot was $99 million. Let’s say there were 10 coworkers, each getting $9.9 million. I’d say that each could give $100,000 (out of $10 million, they wouldn’t miss it), and give the guy $1 million. It would be enough to change his life, and it wouldn’t make a difference to the lives of the coworkers, considering they’d each still have $9.8 million (less taxes).

Old 12-09-2020, 04:50 AM

8,056 posts, read 12,774,958 times
I suspect a LOT of lottery winners get sued over sharing the prize. Even if you don't get sued could you imagine the number of people that would ask for money or a "loan" they figure wouldn't have to be paid back?

I don't play the lottery myself but it seems as if the best way to collect would be in the form of a trust so that you could remain anonymous in States that require the name of winners be published.

(of course in this case the guy would have found out anyways)

I remember the winner of that 1 billion dollar lottery (split three ways) lived in Tennessee. He did the exact opposite of what should have been done. He went on one of those morning news shows to let everyone know he had won. I know he was sued multiple times including some inmate at the local prison that claimed he had "lent" the winner money to buy the ticket. Sure it was a bogus accusation but it still had to be cleared up. Simply keeping quiet would solve a lot of problems.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:11 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
For once we agree on something.

OP doesn’t say how many coworkers there were, but she does say the pot was $99 million. Let’s say there were 10 coworkers, each getting $9.9 million. I’d say that each could give $100,000 (out of $10 million, they wouldn’t miss it), and give the guy $1 million. It would be enough to change his life, and it wouldn’t make a difference to the lives of the coworkers, considering they’d each still have $9.8 million (less taxes).
That could be what happened after all. It didn’t take long for Google to figure out what lottery we’re talking about. It was in Ohio, and the man who was on leave, Edward Hairston, sued 22 co-workers at Kraftmaid cabinets. The lawsuit only took a year, as all the parties agreed to have some winnings set aside by the judge in advance just in case Hairston won. That was a nice good faith gesture as it freed up the rest of the winnings to go to the coworkers (usually these lawsuits linger for years and when that happens, the lottery won’t pay out until the case is settled).

This lawsuit took about a year; it was set to go to trial but then all the parties reached an out-of-court settlement, so Mr. Hairston did get something (less taxes and attorney’s fees). There was an interesting back and forth by the opposing lawyers in one article. The one for the lottery winners said they emailed Hairston to see if he wanted to continue to play (each ticket was $15). Hairston’s lawyer responded that the winners used his work email address, which he was blocked from using while on leave.

Ironically enough, another article referenced a similar situation that happened at Humana several years later. 27 workers in the IT department won a $1 million powerball and unfortunately 2 additional employees who normally participated in the pool were off that day so their money was never collected. The Humana group voted to give them their share anyway. One was quoted as saying that karma delivered this money to them, who were they to go against it now? Sweet story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies