Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The article didn't address much about why the guy did what he did. I'm guessing one of his neighbors turned him in for some city ordinance BS or something along those lines and the guy got pissed off, found out there's no law against butchering a cow on your property so hacked one up. He should have a big BBQ for the block.
But that neighbor shouldn't have been invited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As to location of the slaughtering,it might be the only spot available...it would be 'nice' to do it out of view,but if that was the only suitable spot,then so be it.
Not really. We all make choices on where to live, if these people want to live the rural life, then they should not be living in the city. I can't move to the city and bring my horses and chickens. Because of zoning laws where I live, I cannot have a pig farm on my property. I'm sure they had every opportunity to learn of the zoning laws before they moved in.

Like it or not, when someone chooses to live in a city, they have to put up with all kinds of laws, such as how many junk cars they can have in their front yard, how they must dispose of trash and even the burial of family members, it's also natural to bury your loved ones in your own yard but you can't do it.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Charges for disorderly conduct, discharging a firearm, health code violations all pending. We got the dept of health, dept of ag, police a whole swarm of regulation enforcers swarming. Oh and the poor children who may have had to see how food makes it on the table. This is our govt in action.

Police called after man butchers cow in his driveway
Why would it be ok to butcher a cow in the driveway when it is not allowed to hang clothes on a line to dry?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 AM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Junk said he hadn't been forwarded the case yet as of Tuesday, but said his review would also include the state's animal cruelty statute. "There are a lot of possibilities."

Lori Buttars, spokeswoman for Weber-Morgan Health Department, said the department had not yet been contacted by police about the cow case.

"We have not started that process," she said. "But we'll work with police as needed." The department had received at least three media calls about the case, she said.

Yeah, all of those local officials are just "swarming" all over this case.

I don't even know why I read the crap you post.
Plus Bennet said, " "It's not illegal".

Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why would it be ok to butcher a cow in the driveway when it is not allowed to hang clothes on a line to dry?
Because there is no law against it.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Another good point.

Why can't you have as many junk cars parked in your yard, and just put your old furniture and appliances out in the front yard when you live in a city? Why bring the cow in at all? Why not just have a small herd in the backyard and bring in hay?

There are some cities that are so restrictive, you're obligated to mow your lawn every so often, you can't have the natural look of high weeds if you prefer that look.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Because there is no law against it.
Is there a law that forbids hanging clothes on a line, which I take it is also not allowed in many neighborhoods?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
no backyard ?

the freaking driveway....

it sounds like he was look for a reaction and commotion
The driveway is probably concrete, much cleaner then in a grass/dirt back yard. Less chance of getting dirt on the meat.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not really. We all make choices on where to live, if these people want to live the rural life, then they should not be living in the city. I can't move to the city and bring my horses and chickens. Because of zoning laws where I live, I cannot have a pig farm on my property. I'm sure they had every opportunity to learn of the zoning laws before they moved in.

Like it or not, when someone chooses to live in a city, they have to put up with all kinds of laws, such as how many junk cars they can have in their front yard, how they must dispose of trash and even the burial of family members, it's also natural to bury your loved ones in your own yard but you can't do it.
You are making assumptions. The article states, "It's not illegal".

Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Is there a law that forbids hanging clothes on a line, which I take it is also not allowed in many neighborhoods?
Knowing how people are,yes there probably is.

Most people want others controlled,they do this through laws and zoning and regulations.

It isn't for safety,or decency or whatever,it is to control others so they conform.
It is one of the many reasons we no longer live near people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies