Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We can tax the imports. We built expensive items here before and Americans had wages that allowed them to buy them. Unemployed Americans also cannot afford $30K vehicles.

If Obama really gave a damn about Americans, he would have tackled the problem of globalism, NAFTA, "free trade", and so on and wouldn't just be doing speeches pretending to care.
But this is a global economy now and corporates sell all over the world.

The US is at the high end of the labor cost figure so we are the losers here.
The emerging countries with their flourishing middle class will dictate where the jobs are. As their standard of living increases ours will decline. This will continue until a medium is hit where we all end up on a level playing field.
A loss for the US.

And there is nothing we can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually, it's four and change...nowhere near six.

The National Debt by President · The National Debt Crisis

Curious that you claim Bush ran the economy off "the cliff" because I made the best money in my life during the Bush Presidency and always had numerous jobs available to me. In fact, dealerships used to send me letters in the mail all the time trying get me to come work for them. Unemployment averaged about 5% for most of his presidency, inflation was low and the economy grew. So what's the beef?
It was a false economy created on bad credit. I'm sure you saw the **** hit the fan towards the end of Bush's term.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But this is a global economy now and corporates sell all over the world.

The US is at the high end of the labor cost figure so we are the losers here.
The emerging countries with their flourishing middle class will dictate where the jobs are. As their standard of living increases ours will decline. This will continue until a medium is hit where we all end up on a level playing field.
A loss for the US.

And there is nothing we can do about it.
You think it's a good time to tell them that that median is 25% of what the current GDP is (2010 dollars)? Or should I wait?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You think it's a good time to tell them that that median is 25% of what the current GDP is (2010 dollars)? Or should I wait?
I think you better wait
Too many folks think UAW wages for non college graduates should be "the norm".

Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With one small twist.

The cost of the jobs plan is estimated at $450 billion. The census bureau reports that there are about 113 million households in the United States:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Okay, then.

Instead of just handing the cash to a newly-created bureaucracy, and rewarding unions for their support of the Democrats, with the power of the stimulus watered down and chipped away, why not demonstrate some real creativeness and issue each American household a non-transferable voucher -- which MUST be redeemed within one year (or it is no longer valid), and good only for goods, products, or services made in the USA --- for $3982.30 ($450 billion divided by 113 million)?

That way, the money goes to the people who will spend it, depending on their own individual choices and needs. Small and large business will benefit. People will be hired by the private sector. Taxes will be collected. And the entire economy will benefit.

Obama claims that his proposal will benefit each American household by $1500. I have him beat by over two grand!

Good idea? Yes? No? Why?
I like it.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And how many of those tax hikes are in effect right now? We still have essentially the same tax structure that we had before Obama became president.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
And how many of those tax hikes are in effect right now? We still have essentially the same tax structure that we had before Obama became president.
I counted 9 already in effect.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I counted 9 already in effect.
My assertion stands. We currently have essentially the same tax structure we had under the prior administration. The vast majority of American people are either not effected by these changes or could avoid them.

Americans for Tax Reform :: Comprehensive List of Obama Tax Hikes

-A 156 percent increase in the federal excise tax on tobacco

-Obamacare Medicine Cabinet Tax

Americans no longer able to use health savings account (HSA), flexible spending account (FSA), or health reimbursement (HRA) pre-tax dollars to purchase non-prescription, over-the-counter medicines (except insulin).

-Obamacare HSA Withdrawal Tax Hike
Increases additional tax on non-medical early withdrawals from an HSA from 10 to 20 percent.

-Obamacare Tax on Indoor Tanning Services

-Obamacare Blue Cross/Blue Shield Tax Hike
The special tax deduction in current law for Blue Cross/Blue Shield companies would only be allowed if 85 percent or more of premium revenues are spent on clinical services.

-Obamacare Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals

$50,000 per hospital if they fail to meet new "community health assessment needs," "financial assistance," and "billing and collection" rules set by HHS.

-Obamacare Tax on Innovator Drug Companies
-Obamacare “Black liquor” tax hike
-Obamacare Codification of the “economic substance doctrine”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies