Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With one small twist.

The cost of the jobs plan is estimated at $450 billion. The census bureau reports that there are about 113 million households in the United States:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Okay, then.

Instead of just handing the cash to a newly-created bureaucracy, and rewarding unions for their support of the Democrats, with the power of the stimulus watered down and chipped away, why not demonstrate some real creativeness and issue each American household a non-transferable voucher -- which MUST be redeemed within one year (or it is no longer valid), and good only for goods, products, or services made in the USA --- for $3982.30 ($450 billion divided by 113 million)?

That way, the money goes to the people who will spend it, depending on their own individual choices and needs. Small and large business will benefit. People will be hired by the private sector. Taxes will be collected. And the entire economy will benefit.

Obama claims that his proposal will benefit each American household by $1500. I have him beat by over two grand!

Good idea? Yes? No? Why?

LOL---too funny.

You begin by saying you support Barack Hussein's jobs plan, but with "One small twist."

And then you proceed to intoduce a totally different idea with absolutely no recognizable resemblance to his plan.

What are ya, a lobbyist?

So...I have two points to make:

1--Obama's plan. Good Lord, another $450 billion? On top of the $800 billion he squandered in that bail-out of some of the very same financial and lending institutions that help cause our current economic meltdown?
I just don't get where all this money is ocming from. Do most people realize how much a billion is? For example, a billion seconds ago we were in the Middle Ages. And to help distribute and account for this incredibly expensive program, he wants to create yet another government agency?
Yeah...just what we need: more government and a bigger deficit.

2-- As for as your plan: I'm sure if you were a politician and presented it to the American public, you'd get alot of votes. But the problem is that it wouldn't create any jobs. True, it would spurt some bucks into the economy in the way of consumer spending, but it would be a drop in the bucket.
And while a few thousand bucks per household might help some people catch-up on their bills for awhile, it's not enough to save them from big financial problems like home foreclosures. Also, I'd hazard to guess that most people wouldn't even spend it on necessities, but instead like most of us do with our tax returns: on fun, non-essential stuff.

Other than that, good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,905,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
LOL---too funny.

You begin by saying you support Barack Hussein's jobs plan, but with "One small twist."

And then you proceed to intoduce a totally different idea with absolutely no recognizable resemblance to his plan.

What are ya, a lobbyist?

So...I have two points to make:

1--Obama's plan. Good Lord, another $450 billion? On top of the $800 billion he squandered in that bail-out of some of the very same financial and lending institutions that help cause our current economic meltdown?
I just don't get where all this money is ocming from. Do most people realize how much a billion is? For example, a billion seconds ago we were in the Middle Ages. And to help distribute and account for this incredibly expensive program, he wants to create yet another government agency?
Yeah...just what we need: more government and a bigger deficit.

2-- As for as your plan: I'm sure if you were a politician and presented it to the American public, you'd get alot of votes. But the problem is that it wouldn't create any jobs. True, it would spurt some bucks into the economy in the way of consumer spending, but it would be a drop in the bucket.
And while a few thousand bucks per household might help some people catch-up on their bills for awhile, it's not enough to save them from big financial problems like home foreclosures. Also, I'd hazard to guess that most people wouldn't even spend it on necessities, but instead like most of us do with our tax returns: on fun, non-essential stuff.

Other than that, good post.
so you admit that obama's plan is, at best, incredibly flawed?

this plan would call obama out on his plan, wouldn't it?

does everybody want to be shocked and awed, or at least shocked: (zero hedge today)

here we go again!

It is hard to believe that the last time the US had breached its debt ceiling was a whopping one month ago. Courtesy of much toil, tears and televized theater (not to mention fake compromises), the Obama administration managed to get an accordion-feature extension of the debt-ceiling-***-target, whereby it is currently at $14.694 trillion, and can be extended in $500 billion increments, for a total of $1.5 trillion provided congress and senate do not vote down such an expansion. The reason we bring this up is because as the data below demonstrates, the US Treasury will breach its brand new debt ceiling... ON MONDAY.

That's right: as of yesterday, total US debt was $14.717 trillion (obviously an all time record, and every day closer to parity with US GDP), while debt subject to the ceiling was $16.772 trillion, or just $22 billion below the total before someone has to go ahead and commence the whole debt ceiling fiasco from scratch. And since as the Treasury is auctioning off another $32 billion in 3 Year bonds on Monday, that process better scramble or else all that rhetoric about Social Security being nothing but a plundered ponzi scheme will be proven true yet again.

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-08-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,723,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'd go one step further. The voucher could only be used for products made in America.

is anything still made in the usa???

Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
and of course the GOP solution is more tax-cuts that haven't created job in the past.
What is wrong with you?

Cut Taxes - Cutting taxes creates revenue, Kennedy (the super democrat) understood this.

Stop over regulating - why do we need 140 agencies with overlapping programs. It's like having five guys to fix a pot hole; one to fix it and 4 to manage him.

Close the holes in corporate taxes - no more loopholes, companies like GE should be paying 15% on that $16B in profits last year. There are hundreds of similar examples.

Stop subsidies - why are we paying GE subsidies when they don't pay taxes? Why are we subsidizing the poisoning of our gas by adding corn syrup to it?

Stop policing the world - We can't even secure our borders. Why do they still believe we should secure Germany, Japan, South Korea and anyone else that wants to free up their defense budgets on our dime.

Stop paying for Chinas military buildup. Yes, we are paying the entire bill.

Stop listening to the stale words of a President that hasn't said anything of substance EVER! His actions are different than his words, he hasn't done what the people elected him to do, but had plenty of time to ram through everything they didn't want.

GOP bites, but the DNC is toxic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
DEBT is 100% made in the USA baby!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,613 times
Cuts payroll taxes in half? That's funding for medicare and social security cut in half. Brings up the failure date by a couple of decades.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,246,376 times
Quote:
Hey. Isn`t anyone interested in my idea?

Forget tax cuts and bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo. Just give us the money. We know what to do with it!

Nobody here needs an extra thirty-nine hundred bucks? Compliments of Uncle Sam?
I must have been asleep when he talked about money. All I heard was his talk about what he wanted for every one of us. I guess knowing that he is to tell the full story about money a week from Monday must have lulled me a bit.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Aside from bulldogdad, I`m not hearing from anyone who wants the money.

Is everyone here just too rich to need it? I mean,you could use the thirty-nine hundred grand to tip the doorman if you prefer.

Damn, C-D has one helluva wealthy demographic!
Nope, I remember the first attempt of Bush that had to be paid back the next year and don't think this one will work. How high will he have to ask to have taxes raised to pay for your suggestion? The Chinese may not want to go along.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
That is why we need unions out of government, a balanced budget amendment (with exceptions of emergencies or defence of the country), and a great reduction in regulations that hurt businesses like Obamacare.
THEY just can't accept what you say here although it is so true.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,991,022 times
Quote:
So bypass the unions and give the money to the people!

Doesn`t anyone ever read the OP any more?
What about he people who don't own homes?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,315,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Sad, but velly velly tlue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies