Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Your plan leaves out the large portions that create jobs in other countries.

That part always seemed more important & immediate to Obama's crew (gang).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My god people are so incredibly brainwashed to continually believe government can solve the very problems it creates.
They were brainwashed by the politicians on both sides of the aisle who promised to create jobs in their election campaigns.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Almost every single tax cut prior to this President would prove you wrong.
Reagan had to hike taxes five times to crawl out of the deficit hole he created with his cuts, and we all know where Bush cuts got us. They got us into the debt mess we are in now. You can't keep cutting taxes unless you also cut spending, but now that tax-cuts are also called 'spending', I don't know how you can cut, without spending.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Reagan had to hike taxes five times to crawl out of the deficit hole he created with his cuts, and we all know where Bush cuts got us. They got us into the debt mess we are in now. You can't keep cutting taxes unless you also cut spending, but now that tax-cuts are also called 'spending', I don't know how you can cut, without spending.

The government wants taxes........go after the rich who are hiding their wealth and capital in every corner of the earth, laundering billions in drug money, and profiting immensely from Chinese and Indian slave labor, lax environmental regulations, and third world working conditions. As a middle class tax paying American I've about had enough!!!!!!!!!!! The rich don't create jobs. They make money with MY MONEY........and then when those risks don't pan out.........they get bailed out with more of my money. Meanwhile they tell us how great capitalism is and how if we work hard, follow the "rules" unlike them.......we too might one day make it into their little twisted clubs of plutocracy so meanwhile we work like dogs making what amounts to peanuts hoping to retire into our measly existence at the age of 70 with a 401k that is worth less and less ever year and again feeds the companies that the rich own. Americans want to live in this fantasy world of "capital" that only the rich can provide. WRONG! Capital is like energy........it is neither created nor destroyed. It does in fact grow on trees. The problem is it grows on the bankers trees and they charge us interest to use what should be ours naturally to do with what we want. I.e. the bankers are given the right to print the much needed capital that society needs to function OUT OF THIN AIR AND CHARGE US INTEREST AT THE SAME TIME! It's an utter scam created in 1913 by the bankers and passed into law by our corrupt monied politicians who have been in bed with them for 200+ years. Americans seem to forget the original founding fathers like Jefferson wanted our money supply to be under the guise of our Constitution and transparent to the people and voting public. Instead we have a government that can dole out trillions of dollars in the form of private bail outs and when asked where and to whom that money went they sit there and shrug their shoulders. Pathetic how far our country has fallen in the last 100 years. We have foxes guarding the hen house.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:31 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
and of course the GOP solution is more tax-cuts that haven't created job in the past.

Taxes need to be cut because the money is not producing anything of value by being cycled through Washington. Let EARNERS keep more of what that produce.

Most large corporations SPONSOR the schools in their immediate area. I will bet more would do this if they did not have to surrender their cash to the federal government to do the same thing.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
You support him giving illegals American jobs?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With one small twist.

The cost of the jobs plan is estimated at $450 billion. The census bureau reports that there are about 113 million households in the United States:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Okay, then.

Instead of just handing the cash to a newly-created bureaucracy, and rewarding unions for their support of the Democrats, with the power of the stimulus watered down and chipped away, why not demonstrate some real creativeness and issue each American household a non-transferable voucher -- which MUST be redeemed within one year (or it is no longer valid), and good only for goods, products, or services made in the USA --- for $3982.30 ($450 billion divided by 113 million)?

That way, the money goes to the people who will spend it, depending on their own individual choices and needs. Small and large business will benefit. People will be hired by the private sector. Taxes will be collected. And the entire economy will benefit.

Obama claims that his proposal will benefit each American household by $1500. I have him beat by over two grand!

Good idea? Yes? No? Why?
It's a bad idea for one simple reason: the almost $500 billion is borrowed money which our kids and grandkids will have to repay eventually. Moreover your idea is simply a variation of Cash-For-Clunkers and the $8500 tax credit for new home buyers and we know how well those schemes worked.

What amazes me about Obama's speech is the cynicism it exhibits. Olympia Snowe, my senator, was being interviewed this am on the radio. She told the story of how Little Timmy Geithner was testifying before her committee this past February and she asked him to address the concerns of small business owners she had met and spoken with and who expressed concern that the economy simply wasn't turning around and, worse, may be falling back into recession. Geithner chided her for having a "pessimistic and dark" view of the economy.

In other words the Obama has been peddling the illusion since the summer of 2009 that the economy is turning around. Remember 2010's "Summer of Recovery?" And then last night Obama has the gall to stand up before Congress and the American people and make it appear that he's been concerned about the stagnating economy while the Republicans have been playing politics and hampering his efforts to jump start the economy (which, we were told, had been jump-started by Stimulus I). Where was the sense of urgency last month when he was on Cape Cod hobnobbing with the beautiful people? He shed crocodile tears last night over the 14 million out of work. But he had no qualms about making them wait a month while he vacationed and campaigned.

I hope the American people don't fall for this BS. I hope they realize that the so-called American Jobs Act is really only about one American job--Obama's.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
What's wrong with decreasing taxes for businesses which either hire new workers or give their present workers a raise?
Nothing.....if fact it is a good idea.

On paper.

A few business might fall for this but, in the end most will not, it will not balance out Obamamcare.

Tax credits come...and go.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
what they need to do YESTERDAY is stop with all the regulations:

September 1, 2011 Billings, Mont. – During his presentation on the status of the nation’s new country-of-origin labeling (COOL) law, and on behalf of the R-CALF USA COOL Committee, R-CALF USA member and Kansas cattle feeder Mike Callicrate was asked a non-COOL question that set convention goers on their heels during the 12th Annual R-CALF USA Convention held August 26-27 in Rapid City, S.D.

“Has the Environmental Protection Agency declared hay a pollutant?” an audience member asked. Callicrate responded affirmatively and explained that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently initiated a formal enforcement action against his Kansas feedlot for, among other things, failure to store his hay in a pollution containment zone. “Now that EPA has declared hay a pollutant, every farmer and rancher that stores hay, or that leaves a broken hay bale in the field is potentially violating EPA rules and subject to an EPA enforcement action,” Callicrate said. “How far are we going to let this agency go before we stand up and do something about it?”

Callicrate is permitted to handle 12,000 cattle at a time in his feedlot, which is considered a small to mid-sized feedlot in an industry now dominated by mega-feedlots such as those owned by the world’s largest beef packer – JBS-Brazil – with a one-time capacity of over 900,000 cattle; or the other mega-feedlot that also feeds hundreds of thousands of cattle at a time and is owned by the nation’s second-largest beef packer - Cargill; or the other handful of mega feedlots with capacities of hundreds of thousands of cattle such as those owned by Cactus Feeders, Inc. and Friona Industries.

EPA Declares Hay a Pollutant in Effort to Antagonize Small and Mid-Sized U.S. Cattle Feeders

all of this crap is strangling small businesses and the little guy in this country.

if you want people to pay ANY taxes, they have to be WORKING to do it. i don't care what anybody's vision is for america, destroying and overregulating small businesses is NOT the way to get there.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With one small twist.

The cost of the jobs plan is estimated at $450 billion. The census bureau reports that there are about 113 million households in the United States:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Wow, this was a very bad speech. First off he spoke like he was at a campaign rally with cheering crowds and Greek columns standing behind him. Secondly - who wrote this repetitive monstrosity??

I have not duplicated any quote:

"I am sending this Congress a plan that you should pass right away."
"You should pass this jobs plan right away."
"You should pass this jobs plan right away."
"Pass this jobs bill"
"You should pass it right away."
"Pass this jobs bill"
"You should pass it right away"
"Pass this jobs bill"
"Pass this jobs bill"
"Pass this jobs bill"
"Pass this jobs bill"
"Pass this jobs bill"
"you should pass it again - right away."
"Pass this jobs bill"
"pass this bill right away"
"Pass this jobs bill"
"allow us to pass this jobs plan"
"You should pass it."

Text of President Obama's address to Congress - National - NewsObserver.com (http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/08/1471550/text-of-president-obamas-address.html - broken link)

Last edited by Wapasha; 09-09-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies