Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ☻
The Obama Stimulus 17 41.46%
Tax Cuts for the Rich 8 19.51%
Do nothing 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:36 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So we're left with eloquence on why sustaining the status quo is somehow better. For **anyone**.

To repeat the Q posed in the thread:
What should (can?) be done about the high unemployment rate?

Hire people.
The rest is the details.

Well, I suppose we could just dispose of them instead.
Is that the alternative you prefer?

IT'S PEOPLE! - YouTube
You are right (about hiring people), but if you answer my question, you will see why business owners (including you) are not hiring....

The unknown is what stops business owners from doing anything...you as a business owner should know that....

Just answer my question I posed....would you buy that car?

It's a simple yes or no....no explanation needed...we will know everything from your answer.....

Amazing that NOBODY in this thread is willing to answer my question anyway....even the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But until then... reshuffle the hours that are being worked anyway.
No (ok, maybe a few) additional hours are needed.

And another word for uncertainty is FEAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNpxQANk0M/
So, fear, yes If I were a business owner there would be NO way I would pile millions of $$$ into anything....even my business, I would keep it as is, just like you are doing....

Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yes and add to that consumers. I see a general slowing of everything as the government piles on more and more regulations. We have coal-powered energy out here on the High Plains and the new EPA rules will likely increase our electricity costs by at least 10%.
a few examples of why causing energy costs to the American people to skyrocket, is not only okay with 0bama, but is has been his plan for many years.

Quote:
Obama on cap and trade: 'electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket' - National Right Side Politics | Examiner.com

"Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." -- Barack Obama, January 17, 2008, San Francisco Chronicle
Quote:
Exxon, U.S. Government Duel Over Huge Oil Find - WSJ.com

Exxon Mobil Corp. is fighting with the U.S. government to keep control of one of its biggest oil discoveries ever, in a showdown where billions of dollars hang in the balance for both sides.
Quote:
CBO Analysis Affirms American Tradition Institute Findings That a National Renewable Energy Mandate... -- WASHINGTON, July 27, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

"Either an RES or a CES would raise the overall cost of producing electricity in the United States," CBO reported. "Without such a standard, generators in competitive electricity markets would choose the mix of sources that maximized their profits, and in regulated markets, regulators would tend to require a mix that minimized the cost of electricity production. An RES or CES would induce them to alter that mix and produce electricity in a more costly manner (not accounting for any environmental or other benefits of changing the mix)."
Quote:
Georgia Power says it will close 3 power-plant units *| ajc.com

Georgia Power wants to shut down three power plant units within the next two years, an official from its parent, Southern Co., said Monday.

The decision to shutter the coal-fired units is based on the pending Environmental Protection Agency rules that would require the utility to install equipment to meet stricter environmental controls, the company has said. It would be too costly to upgrade the Plant Branch units, which started operating in 1965 and 1967.
Quote:
Utility giant AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs - The Hill's E2-Wire

Utility giant American Electric Power said Thursday that it will shut down five coal-fired power plants and spend billions of dollars to comply with a series of pending Environmental Protection Agency regulations.

Quote:
EPA Regulations | Coal Industry | Job Loss | The Daily Caller

The coal industry is crying foul over new Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations which they say will be among the most be costly rules ever imposed by the agency on coal-fueled power plants.
The result, industry insiders say: substantially higher electricity rates and massive job loss.

0bama: "If somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."

Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Buy more hamburgers.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You are right (about hiring people), but if you answer my question, you will see why business owners (including you) are not hiring....

The unknown is what stops business owners from doing anything...you as a business owner should know that....

It's a simple yes or no....no explanation needed...we will know everything from your answer.....

Amazing that NOBODY in this thread is willing to answer my question anyway....even the OP
What was your question???

Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
a few examples of why causing energy costs to the American people to skyrocket, is not only okay with 0bama, but is has been his plan for many years.

0bama: "If somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."
Plans for a coal plant was cancelled near me.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What was your question???
Sorry, I should say, no one on the left has answered.....

Quote:
Not enough options,

But, lets start by given small business/business in general a 5 year plan of what the taxes are going to be like....just tell them....that's all they want....

Whats happening right now is like this:

Majin, I want you to go buy a $100,000 car....and then I'm going to tell you insurance rates are, your APR and your payments AFTER you have already bought it...

Would you actually do that?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I should say, no one on the left has answered.....
Oh...OK!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Obama presented his plan last night, whats yours?
It isn't a matter of a little tax credit here, loan there. It is a matter of building an environment, mostly a regulatory environment, that is friendly to business, that supports and encourages business and maximizes the opportunities open to business.

Specifically, reducing corporate taxes, regulation and other burdens across-the-board for starters.

The Obama admin, Pelosi's House and Reid's Senate, turned the soil that the economy had its roots in, that it needs to grow healthy, and then grow larger, into a toxic waste dump instead of a fertile field. Pelosi is in the minority now. Steps 2 and 3 in 2012, i.e. removal from office, via the electoral process, of Obama the Toxic, and Reid.

We, as a nation and the governing elite, and even the pizz ants who post their anti-business, anti-capitalism, garbage here, have to stop hating and start embracing business, businesses and businessmen/women.

When the soil is de-toxed in 2012, and a pro-business environment installed, business will do the rest, and we all will prosper.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:

Maybe they cannot identify with your example, because they cannot comprehend what a business owners goes thru.

Here is something they can identify with.

Most everyone either owns a home and pays a mortgage, or rents a home from someone else who pays the mortgage on that property.

The people who either own or rent, balance their finances around their rental or mortgage payments. If you hear 0bama pounding his fist wanting to end the mortgage deduction, that could cost you a few thousand dollars extra, come tax day, you may not be able to buy that new car, or even pay your bills.

If you own 10 rental properties, and they all cost you $2,000 more each year, you will be forced to raise the rent on all your tenants.

If you have on a mortgage you are locked into paying for it, and if you suddenly find yourself owing the government $2,000 at the end of each year, it will really hurt, and many people may not be able to keep paying that mortgage or new increased rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies