Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:44 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We take care of our own, down here.

Adopt a family!
Those burnt out of their homes are finding other families through a network of local Texans on the internet, to house them until they can figure it all out.
excellent idea, want to post any links or facebook pages on that? Bastrop is over 50 miles from me, but I'm sure there are other things besides a check to the Red Cross that could be helpful. Besides FEMA is now on the way for more long term help. I think yu can be sure most states "take care of their own", no matter which state you reside in. But average citizens can only help with small scale help....not that it isn't important...just won't contribute that much for the longer term. Thats why we have federal agencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Better late as usual, than never, eh?

How fast is fast enough? Texas balanced their budget on fed money last year, they had floods earlier in this year, now fires. FEMA to the rescue each time. I know how fast, fast either. Does people dying in the streets in New Orleans ring a bell? Now that apparantly wasn't fast enough!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

I don't think government should pay for everything but as great a nation as we are we should help people who are down on their luck for no fault of their own.
Highly subjective, especially in a culture that trends to avoid taking responsibility for themselves.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Highly subjective, especially in a culture that trends to avoid taking responsibility for themselves.
this thread is about natural disasters how is that 'subjective"? many people in thie dire economy have lost their jobs with none to replace them, have spent their entire savings trying not to depend on government services. not everyone on the "dole" refuse to take responsibility for themselves and their family.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
It's not the job of the FEDERAL government, it's the job of the state government.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:25 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
How fast is fast enough? Texas balanced their budget on fed money last year, they had floods earlier in this year, now fires. FEMA to the rescue each time. I know how fast, fast either. Does people dying in the streets in New Orleans ring a bell? Now that apparantly wasn't fast enough!

And for the 4000th time FEMA had nothing to do with that. The deaths and destruction, along with the lack of initial response, caused by Hurricane Katrina can be laid squarely at the feet of Nagin and Blanco.

FEMA is a 4th tier responder which can only enter a situation at the request of a Governor. It really doesn't have "supplies" on hand for any emergency but is instead a money supplier and logistics entity.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
excellent idea, want to post any links or facebook pages on that? Bastrop is over 50 miles from me, but I'm sure there are other things besides a check to the Red Cross that could be helpful. Besides FEMA is now on the way for more long term help. I think yu can be sure most states "take care of their own", no matter which state you reside in. But average citizens can only help with small scale help....not that it isn't important...just won't contribute that much for the longer term. Thats why we have federal agencies.

Social media helps recovery efforts in Bastrop « Bastrop

Check it out.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
2011 will be remembered as the year of the multiple billion dollar disasters.

It's not over. La Nina has strengthened again after subsiding. Continues drought for TX and Western OK? ??? More flooding? ????

Wait and see, I guess.

Heard that, not good news!

Drought.....w-a-t-e-r, w-a-t-e-r please!

Red is Extreme
Brown is Exceptional, I'd rather be extreme.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And for the 4000th time FEMA had nothing to do with that. The deaths and destruction, along with the lack of initial response, caused by Hurricane Katrina can be laid squarely at the feet of Nagin and Blanco.

FEMA is a 4th tier responder which can only enter a situation at the request of a Governor. It really doesn't have "supplies" on hand for any emergency but is instead a money supplier and logistics entity.
FEMA was still run poorly during the Katrina debacle. No "Brownie" points should have ever been given to old "Brownie", yet there was Geo, patting him on the back. How many days did YOU watch TV and keep saying? Where is the National Guard, Where is the government, Where is the help. Nary a bottle of water! It was absurd and just plain wrong! Local, state, federal.....everyone should have been there to help. But those levees were a federal problem to begin with.....and with our infrastructer in such disrepair, lots more "emergencies" like that is right down the road.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Great link, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies