U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM

9,958 posts, read 3,977,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
So will everyone personally involved with the floods in the Northeast or the recent fires in Texas expect FEMA to come to their rescue even though they are Republicans and want to dismantle these governmental entities....or will they now become Democrats? I hope everyone can finally see how important keeping a strong central government is!

As long as residents like myself in states like Texas are forced to give our money to the Federal government I will fully expect FEMA to show up in a time of need to help those who PAID for FEMA. If the Federal gov. wants to cut TX a check for all the money that it's citizens paid to the feds we'd gladly take care of this fire on our own but that isn't going to happen. We simply want our money back and FEMA is the only way to get it back. That doesn't make me less conservative, it just makes me a lot more logical than the typical liberal idiot. I would love to dismantle FEMA and let states keep their funds for times of need like this, states should be able to work together using shared resources and man power without the feds sticking their nose into things and doubling the cost of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,990,334 times
Quote:
The country was built and became the strongest nation in the entire world BECAUSE we were all for one and one for all. In Europe we would just be another bunch of small countries and have no power. You need a strong head and torso to be powerful, the individual states (arms and legs) are wonderful but you can live without some of them. Civil liberties came in the form of constitutional admendments...... FEDERAL admendments, not state amendments. Civil liberties are either disallowed or never allowed by individual states trying to scream "states rights" ie: slavery, rights for women, voters rights etc. etc. etc. If we let the states decide, one group would kick out another group, or disenfranchise their voters (oh wait, thats already starting to happen....hmmmm). I'll stick to a strong FEDERAl government thanks. My army is bigger than your army.
^^^Written like a true Statist!^^^

If the behemoth central planning Federal government was not using the states' national guard divisions overseas for wars at the pleasure of globalists and guarding poppy fields in Pakistan and Afghanistan for the European heroine trade, the states most effected by some of these natural disasters would have their own state resources at hand to help them instead of FEMA.

Get it yet?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 AM

16,843 posts, read 16,671,052 times
Quote:
FEMA was still run poorly during the Katrina debacle. No "Brownie" points should have ever been given to old "Brownie", yet there was Geo, patting him on the back. How many days did YOU watch TV and keep saying? Where is the National Guard,

Until it was announced that Gov. Blanco had not activated the LA Guard and would not until 36 hours after landfall. After that was announced I knew where the Guardsmen were, at home awaiting an activation that was criminally late. I dislike the current Gov. of MD but to his credit he activated the MD Guard 3 days prior to our recent brush with Hurricane Irene and they were pre-positioned 24 hours before projected landfall. As had Gov. Ehrlich in 2003 and 2006 with TS Isabel and Ernesto.

Where is the government, Where is the help. Nary a bottle of water!

Water which FEMA did not have as they had not yet been requested by Gov. Blanco to enter the situation. You should direct your question to Mayor Nagin and his Emergency Planning staff who sent people to the Superdome without making arrangements for supplies of anything.

As an aside, have you ever looked at the FEMA site or your state or local EOC pages. One of the first guidelines stated is to have 3 days of water stockpiled per person. Usually there are gallonage recommendations. Then come meds. Then comes cash. then comes important papers. All these after having a personal emergency plan prepared.

FEMA does not stockpile supplies but it does have the capacity to cut through red tape to procure them after being requested by the Gov. of the state. That is the thing that people such as yourself choose to not understand. FEMA has to follow very specific legislatively imposed guidelines for entering a situation. The first thing stated at any Emergency Management training I have attended, or co-taught, is "FEMA is not a first responder, don't expect them on the ground for about 3 days".

It was absurd and just plain wrong! Local, state, federal.....everyone should have been there to help. But those levees were a federal problem to begin with.....and with our infrastructer in such disrepair, lots more "emergencies" like that is right down the road.

That may well be but after the fact it was discovered that the federal money sent to LA for levee upgrade and maintenance had been "diverted" locally.

What I/we put on my/our materials for Emergency Management classes is the following (classes for government officials):

Personal safety is an individual responsibility. Government responsibility is called COOP (continuation of operations) so aid can be delivered and clean-up begin.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 AM

2,226 posts, read 794,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
^^^Written like a true Statist!^^^

If the behemoth central planning Federal government was not using the states' national guard divisions overseas for wars at the pleasure of globalists and guarding poppy fields in Pakistan and Afghanistan for the European heroine trade, the states most effected by some of these natural disasters would have their own state resources at hand to help them instead of FEMA.

Get it yet?
I'm all for bringing home the troops and keeping them here. It isn't the liberals who are war mongers. That was Bush and Buggers that sent them out into the world shocking and awing all those Muslims into a hate filled rage....not to mention all those juicy contracts they got with the military contracts....remember Haliburton....remember Dick Cheney?

Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,642,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's amazing that a person will equate a natural disaster as the same thing as sitting on your a$$ and not even looking for a job....

Way to go leftie....
What's that got to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So your onboard with just handing out debit cards left and right with a couple grand on em and then flooding the area with hundreds of thousands of money that isn't tracked and half stolen by contractors? Yep sounds like it. Maybe they should do like Clinton and just send out a check to everybody who lived in a certain zip code. Yeah you lefties take the cake on spending others money and then always come back wanting more.
Who said that? Do not twist what people post.

Quote:
Did I say that? Fact is FEMA is out of money. That's what happens when the government decides to pay for natural disasters.
Actually, I believe the last I heard, FEMA had close to a billion dollars available. That was just before Irene.

Quote:
The states and guard should help. Not in monetary ways or rebuilding their homes. It appears you have a different idea of how the government should operate than I. It's quite a simple thing to yell "get out of wars" especially when you have no idea why they're being fought. That's for a different thread though.
Guard? Do you mean NATIONAL guard? As is FEDERAL government? ??? Surely you jest. I like how you avoid using that "F" word!

Quote:
Apparently your not too involved in many church activities. I have been in the past and they do plenty. You want to see folks fed send that FEMA money to them.

We took in a family after the '93 floods up here for a month or so. They were of course friends of mine. That good enough for you or should I have bought them a new house?
You took in one family that you know, that are friends. You helped that family, and that's great. Surely you can see that you can't rely on everyone have family friends to take them in?

Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 AM

2,226 posts, read 794,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
As long as residents like myself in states like Texas are forced to give our money to the Federal government I will fully expect FEMA to show up in a time of need to help those who PAID for FEMA. As well you should, just quit bellyaching like a sick cow everytime the Federal government is even mentioned in a sentence. No one can complain about "the Feds" quite like a Texan....then balance their budget on the backs of those Fed dollars, or want the Feds to show up everytime they have a problem. Noone thinks you shouldn't have the Feds helping you....but quit whining about the government with every breath you take. Thats Texas size hypocritical. If the Federal gov. wants to cut TX a check for all the money that it's citizens paid to the feds we'd gladly take care of this fire on our own but that isn't going to happen. We simply want our money back and FEMA is the only way to get it back. That doesn't make me less conservative, it just makes me a lot more logical than the typical liberal idiot. Everyone would love to keep every dollar we ever made or will ever make. But we are a United States of America and should every dollar we made be kept in our own states...its still that state or (government) that is taking your money. If you think your state....or anyone else's state would be more careful with that money than the feds, your just nuts. They would spend it in areas you don't believe in and are pissed off about....just like the Feds do. Texas, although they believe they are better than every other state in the union....isn't. Perry would have that money gone in a heartbeat and never for services. But those good ole boys would be enjoying it...for sure. I would love to dismantle FEMA and let states keep their funds for times of need like this, states should be able to work together using shared resources and man power without the feds sticking their nose into things and doubling the cost of everything.
if that had ever been possible, then there would have never been a need for a Federal agency of any kind to even be formed. Where there is need there is a formation of an agency. No need, no agency. Its quite simple. You have to go back to the 1800's to see how all this started and why for each agency. Their was a need, the need was filled and politicians on both sides over the decades turned them into red tape nightmares. The answer is get rid of the politicians!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:56 PM

16,449 posts, read 6,437,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's that got to do with anything?
Ummmm, everything? The left love people who NEED things from the government....and the left equates NEEDS from the government as ALL hand outs.

BUT, you cannot correlate a natural disaster to someone sitting on their ass not looking for a job.

Now, if the left does not do this, then why is this thread even here?

Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Ummmm, everything? The left love people who NEED things from the government....and the left equates NEEDS from the government as ALL hand outs.

BUT, you cannot correlate a natural disaster to someone sitting on their ass not looking for a job.

This thread does not happen to be about "someone sitting on their ass not looking for a job". The poster you quoted did not make that correlation, you did.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM

16,449 posts, read 6,437,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This thread does not happen to be about "someone sitting on their ass not looking for a job". The poster you quoted did not make that correlation, you did.
Really, I'm going to BOLD the part where to OP specifically calls out republicans who want to dismantle hand outs..

Please give us what a dem thinks is a hand out?

Quote:
So will everyone personally involved with the floods in the Northeast or the recent fires in Texas expect FEMA to come to their rescue even though they are Republicans and want to dismantle these governmental entities....or will they now become Democrats? I hope everyone can finally see how important keeping a strong central government is!
The OP specifically brought repubs and dems into this.....IF the OP would not have brought repubs/dems into this, I would agree with you.....

Now, answer my question...

Quote:

Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Really, I'm going to BOLD the part where to OP specifically calls out republicans who want to dismantle hand outs..

Please give us what a dem thinks is a hand out?

The OP specifically brought repubs and dems into this.....IF the OP would not have brought repubs/dems into this, I would agree with you.....

Now, answer my question...
The OP was talking about FEMA! It's the thread title and the title of her OP! I don't even know what question you want answered, but I don't respond well to "commands" from CD members. No one is under any obligation to respond to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies