Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times

Advertisements

There has never been a successful social government program that has ever 1. Come in at or below budget. 2. Performed well at addressing the problem it is designed to address and 3. That is financially solvent. The nanny state has been a disaster from its inception and each addition by the federal government is yet further proof that if you want to find the worst possible way to accomplish a goal, ask a politician to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Do you think that this drivel was so important that you had to start a new thread about it rather than contribute to one of the many that are directly on point?

Anyway you're wrong. Social Security is doing fine. It's kept seniors from dying in the streets, and is fully funded for the next 20-someodd years.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Do you think that this drivel was so important that you had to start a new thread about it rather than contribute to one of the many that are directly on point?

Anyway you're wrong. Social Security is doing fine. It's kept seniors from dying in the streets, and is fully funded for the next 20-someodd years.
What world do you live in?
Social Security is bankrupt and has been for decades.

It is amazing to me the number of not just ignorant people in this country but the many highly educated ignorant people in this country.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:

If I wish to start a new thread then I will do so.. I think it is important and your opinion, while I respect it, is just that... Your opinion. As for Social Security, it is flat broke and has been for years.. It is funded each year. It is not payed for. The funds for Social Security have been robbed by the politicians ( both democrat and republican ) that you have voted for.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:

How is it funded?

You need to keep up with things before posting.

"Social Security to See Payout Exceed Pay-In This Year" (2010)

Social Security Payout to Exceed Revenue This Year - NYTimes.com

Which means bonds (IOU's) will be cashed in. The money to redeem the bonds comes from the GENERAL REVENUE, which is part of that $14 trillion in debt you might have heard about.

So, explain to me how socials Security is doing fine.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There has never been a successful social government program that has ever 1. Come in at or below budget. 2. Performed well at addressing the problem it is designed to address and 3. That is financially solvent. The nanny state has been a disaster from its inception and each addition by the federal government is yet further proof that if you want to find the worst possible way to accomplish a goal, ask a politician to do it.

If you like the Postal Service, you will love Obamacare.

Yes, it's amazing to me why people want more government. Government is the most wasteful, inefficient, fraudulent organization ever invented. Government has given us wars, slavery, stolen our money and now controls every aspect of our lives. We cannot do anything without a permit. We cannot decide what we will eat, drink or smoke.

Why have we allowed government to become so powerful and expensive and allowed it to usurp our freedom?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Trust Fund FAQs for a primer on how the fund invests its income.

Money that comes into SS via payroll taxes (FICA) and income taxes on benefits is invested in a trust fund consisting of special Treasury bonds.

While it is true that starting in 2010, outlays began to exceed tax revenues, the trust funds have enough money to last until 2039.

This follows a four-year period of declining payroll tax revenues because of rising unemployment. The easiest way to “fix” Social Security, which is probably in better financial shape than any program in the federal government, is to get more people working and paying into the payroll tax. Better job growth alone would push out the solvency to at least 30 years, if not more. Increased wages and an influx of legal high-skilled immigrants wouldn’t hurt either. Then you could provide a path to citizenship for the undocumented and fold them into the legitimate economy, capturing their payroll tax (which is a short-run net benefit). After that, if you want to control for historic inequality by increasing the payroll tax cap to cover 90% of compensation, as the program was intended, fine.

But it’s simply dishonest to say that Social Security is bankrupt or even going bankrupt. It’s scheduled to pay full benefits for 28 years, even after a half-decade of bad job numbers.

More reading, if you dare.

Amusing how the first to throw around the ignorance accusations are throwing boulders at glass walls.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

It is amazing to me the number of not just ignorant people in this country but the many highly educated ignorant people in this country.
As one of your highly educated ignorant people who has been on SS for nearly 17 years let me bring you up to date to some things that you seem to not know about.

Social Security did what it was supposed to do for years but in the early 50s the Congress started using what was called the yearly surplus in SS funds instead of leaving the money in the fund where it was meant to be. The program was well planned and established but they didn't know that the Congress would spend all the "surplus" money.

That surplus came from the fact that in the early years of SS there was much more paid in than taken out. Politicians just don't take kindly to money sitting there unexpended and they saw a chance to get money to pay to our "friends" in foreign aid and not have to raise any taxes. The closer we got to more being needed than was paid in each year the more most of us knew we would soon be in trouble. Because of the way Congress spent that money they owe the people of this nation somewhere between $2.5 and $3.5 TRILLION and they can never pay that to the people. Some today really think that they can make up for all that falsely raised and spent money but any fool knows it can't happen now. It is painful to think that they owe us all that money and younger people will never see any of it.

A much sadder part of it all is that in the early 21st Century some politicians wanted to allow people to put 4 or 5 per cent of their money in private funds and most called that privatizing the whole program. OK, this past year we went from surplus to having to pay out more than was coming in and so many of our people decided that SS was a bad program. It is bad only because politicians found all that money sitting around and didn't want it put into interest bearing funds so they spent it every year.

I must ask you if you really can prove that the government has been handing money out to people outside the money that is taken in from payroll taxes, every year. Do you not know that since they started spending that money they have taken to keeping it in the General Fund which was wrong from the start but nevertheless what they did so they could spend from the Fund more easily. Your statement that the SS program has been broke for decades seems to me to be more of the unknowing way to make it appear like it was broke, all along.

Since you consider me so ignorant and since I am a holder of a MS degree maybe you can tell me how wrong I am. I won't accuse you of ignorance but you have exhibited a high level of not knowing that I want you to defend, if you can.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM

80 posts, read 108,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

If our military would stay out of my social security funds, I could actually retire one day. SS does just fine, it's the military spending that is killing this country and my retirement!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
As one of your highly educated ignorant people who has been on SS for nearly 17 years let me bring you up to date to some things that you seem to not know about.

Social Security did what it was supposed to do for years but in the early 50s the Congress started using what was called the yearly surplus in SS funds instead of leaving the money in the fund where it was meant to be. The program was well planned and established but they didn't know that the Congress would spend all the "surplus" money.

That surplus came from the fact that in the early years of SS there was much more paid in than taken out. Politicians just don't take kindly to money sitting there unexpended and they saw a chance to get money to pay to our "friends" in foreign aid and not have to raise any taxes. The closer we got to more being needed than was paid in each year the more most of us knew we would soon be in trouble. Because of the way Congress spent that money they owe the people of this nation somewhere between $2.5 and $3.5 TRILLION and they can never pay that to the people. Some today really think that they can make up for all that falsely raised and spent money but any fool knows it can't happen now. It is painful to think that they owe us all that money and younger people will never see any of it.

A much sadder part of it all is that in the early 21st Century some politicians wanted to allow people to put 4 or 5 per cent of their money in private funds and most called that privatizing the whole program. OK, this past year we went from surplus to having to pay out more than was coming in and so many of our people decided that SS was a bad program. It is bad only because politicians found all that money sitting around and didn't want it put into interest bearing funds so they spent it every year.

Since you consider me so ignorant and since I am a holder of a MS degree maybe you can tell me how wrong I am. I won't accuse you of ignorance but you have exhibited a high level of not knowing that I want you to defend, if you can.

Yes, as you point out the greedy SOB's in Washington can't stand to see a pie unsliced and began raping SS in the fifties. By the 80's their dirty little secret got out (SS was bankrupt) so the educated elite as they often do to the detriment of those with plain common sense explained that SS was not what it really was (wow! Shazam!!! what magic - thank you for enlightening me Mr. Ivory) an illegal government imposed savings plan for retirement (lie #1) paid for by those who would receive it and plundered by crooks in Washington but a government funded program (lie #2, the government has no money but that which it confiscated from it's citizens) paid directly from current revenues.

This kind of BS shell game politicking is facilitated by ivory tower elite who give the sheen of credibility to government propoganda (ie. thieving bastards in congress).

You haven't contradicted me, you regurgitate what I have said in more detail and poetic prose. Not only are an intrinsic part of the problem you are such a perfect example of the ignorant, educated, hypocrisy I am talking about - you exemplify my point.

And as for your sanctimonious BS about receiving it for 17 years please explain this to the young people you're stealing from you selfish and sancitimonious SOB, which you arrogantly point out yourself that you are doing.

You're a baby boomer and part of the salad days. I'm sure you lived a life of prosperity and currently suck off the productivity off the young in this country. What I find truly offensive is you proudly proclaiming this while you are part of the system that leaves the next generation with less than nothing.

I didn't accuse you of ignorance, you claimed ownership of my comment, and as stated above, you have provided us a wonderful living example of what I am talking about. I want you to defend it, if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies