Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A bigger seat -- it’s what he craves.

A devoted, 290-pound White Castle fan is steaming mad at the fast-food chain, which he says repeatedly broke promises to make the booths in his local eatery bigger.

Read more: White Castle fan claims eatery needs to supersize its seats - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
The Constitution was written to protect the rights of the minorities, right down to the minority of one.

However, it in no way intended the Government to set any minority up as a standard for all.

The 14th Amendment is garbage.

I can just see this guy in court screaming, "equal! equal!", while standing next to his 105 pound asian lawyer.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't see a lawsuit gaining traction, White Castle management said he could ask for a chair, as could a pregnant woman. Just like booster seats and high chairs. I think as long as something is made available he's flat out of luck. Perhaps they should just keep a chair or too handy next to the high chairs.

But I can see a scenario where some some new building code stipulates how many inches minimum a stationary seat must be from a stationary table in all public places as not to discriminate against big stomachs.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So that's what White Castle calls them. Krystal has the same thing, and they don't call them "sliders", they call them burgers.
NFN, it takes vaseline to get a Krystal burger to slide they are so dried out.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM

80 posts, read 108,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Why?

And are you sure you want to say everyone? What about the guy at the bar who has had too much to drink? Should he still be accommodated?
He chose to be drunk. Some people are born with the fat gene like me and diets just don't work. One is a choice, the other could be genetic. There is a difference! The key here is "reasonable accomidation" and being fat is reasonable since a big portion of the population is overweight.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't see a lawsuit gaining traction, White Castle management said he could ask for a chair, as could a pregnant woman. Just like booster seats and high chairs. I think as long as something is made available he's flat out of luck. Perhaps they should just keep a chair or too handy next to the high chairs.

But I can see a scenario where some some new building code stipulates how many inches minimum a stationary seat must be from a stationary table in all public places as not to discriminate against big stomachs.
I disagree here again. Sitting in a chair typically blocks the flow of traffic and also makes you stand out, causing possible anguish and embarrassment. Benches do not need to be fixed, and this could certainly be constrewed as discriminatory. Business owners have been proven to be biased toward old people, fat people or someone who just might be a little bit different as in colored or Chinese or Muslim.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoovalley View Post
I disagree here again. Sitting in a chair typically blocks the flow of traffic and also makes you stand out, causing possible anguish and embarrassment. Benches do not need to be fixed, and this could certainly be constrewed as discriminatory. Business owners have been proven to be biased toward old people, fat people or someone who just might be a little bit different as in colored or Chinese or Muslim.
Chairs don't restrict traffic any more than a high chair. And yes, I think obese people stand out no matter where they are sitting. I have an obese friend and had breakfast with her and some some others yesterday...I was in a booth she used a chair on the end. We requested an out of the way area.. She knows she is fat and has to sometimes stand out because of it.

The guy in the OP doesn't think he's obese, but he is.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,492 times
fast food co. these guys are your life blood

Old 09-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Chairs don't restrict traffic any more than a high chair. And yes, I think obese people stand out no matter where they are sitting. I have an obese freinds and had breakfast with her and some freinds yesterday...I was in a booth she used a chair. She knows she is fat and has to sometimes stand out becasue of it.
Still beg to differ. Big difference in the amount of consumed real estate from a high chair to a fat person in a chair. Besides, a kid poops his pants and could care less what anyone else thinks and............... It's super annoying when your trying to eat and people are walking around you as the navigate a pathway or are putting on a jacket or removing one, and it hits you and so on. Me? I'd just as soon walk out and find another place rather than block a pathway with a chair. Sorry.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoovalley View Post
Still beg to differ. Big difference in the amount of consumed real estate from a high chair to a fat person in a chair. Besides, a kid poops his pants and could care less what anyone else thinks and............... It's super annoying when your trying to eat and people are walking around you as the navigate a pathway or are putting on a jacket or removing one, and it hits you and so on. Me? I'd just as soon walk out and find another place rather than block a pathway with a chair. Sorry.
Some places are set up better than others for that kind of thing. If this guy would rather go somewhere else that would be ok with me, but he doesn't. So he can sit in a chair or takeout until/unless the booths are made bigger. And then if he get's bigger still....well you know. Too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies