Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Is it true or not that "black folks" (and I mean specifically lower income African Americans who are the Democratic base) generally dismiss those blacks who have incorporated themselves into "white culture", meaning success in and matriculation into "white" schools, jobs, neighborhoods, etc.?
I'm a black man that is not only mildly successful, but college educated (as were my parents and my only child), work with damn near all white folks at my job, and live in a majority white city AND neighborhood.

Can't say that i've been dismissed by anyone. I don't have any problem with my people for the most part. Do i like every single black person in America? No. But so what. But then, i'm not "incorporated" into "white culture" (whatever the hell that means) either. I'm solidly black, and will remain so for as long as i live. Being successful doesn't have a damn thing to do with how black i am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm a black man that is not only mildly successful, but college educated (as were my parents and my only child), work with damn near all white folks at my job, and live in a majority white city AND neighborhood.

Can't say that i've been dismissed by anyone. I don't have any problem with my people for the most part. Do i like every single black person in America? No. But so what. But then, i'm not "incorporated" into "white culture" (whatever the hell that means) either. I'm solidly black, and will remain so for as long as i live. Being successful doesn't have a damn thing to do with how black i am.
Exactly.....theres a whole lotta white people I dont like, you know?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Are conservatives now to be excluded from invoking the dreams of MLK by your tribe too?
Of course not. Free country. Except that all this "MLK invoking" is quite suspicious, seeing as how conservatives weren't so enamored of him when he was alive. But now that he's dead, they can't get enough of him.

That's just me being magnanimous. In truth, it's not just suspicious, it's bullsh*t. That's why i dismiss it outright when i hear it.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
So, why the disconnect between his actual life and the life people think he led? Is he purposefully misleading people? Or are his supporters on CD just promoting an untrue image for some reason?
The myth is easier to market than the real product. Yes, the misleading is intentional, be it by his handlers, himself, or both. Obama's supporters perpetuate the myth because the reality is extremely unappealing.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I don't have time to address all your questions at the moment, but I don't think the insurance statements are necessarily contradictory. .
Janny Scott, a NY Times reporter and author of a biography about Obama's mom disagrees:
Quote:
The book concludes that although Mr. Obama often suggested that Ms. Dunham “was denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition, it appears from her correspondence that she was only denied disability coverage.” Ms. Dunham, an anthropologist who worked on development projects in Indonesia, died in 1995, less than a year after her diagnosis.
The book concluded she was not denied a single medical claim. She was denied a disability claim for living expenses because she was dishonest about having been diagnosed with cancer previous to changing jobs. They still paid her medical claims, but not her disability. Very reasonable.

Let's see what the experts think about Obama's story:

Quote:
Robert J. Blendon, a professor of health policy and political analysis at Harvard, said that if an alternate narrative about Ms. Dunham’s dispute had been discovered during the 2008 campaign “people would have considered it a significant error.”
Or had it been a conservative, it would have just been called a lie.

Here's that hard, right wing paper the NY Times saying Obama didn't tell the truth about his mother:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/us.../14mother.html

Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Once again, you folks don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Thank you!

Quote:
You think that you get "street cred" by going to a black church? One of the stupidest things i've ever heard. Street cred? LMAO....some of you have active imaginations. I'm black and i don't even know what the hell that means in political terms as it relates to black people.
I'm black, and I don't even know what street cred is. I always thought it was a white thing.

Quote:
How would "street cred" help him with black people in Mound Bayou, Mississippi? Or Mount Airy, North Carolina? Most blacks don't live in Chicago and Detroit. You really believe that black folks in Seattle, Washington knew that he attended Rev. Wright's church? Really?
Knew or cared.........

Quote:
I mean, these posters using terms like "black enough" as if they have the faintest clue about what that even means. SMH...whatever.

These race based threads are getting more laughable by the day.
And that's saying something.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
So.... whats the problem with President Obama's upbringing? Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure most people know who and how he was raised. I mean its all in wikipedia for crying out loud. Also its been dissected hundreds of times on this forum it gets kinda of boring.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Moreover, i'm not the one who started with the tribe thing. Go back and read. I simply went along with the statement.

You weren't?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Go preach to someone else you poor disadvantaged and discriminated victim of society. Woe is me for your plight.

You come on here making your race an issue then take offense when others reference it. My BS alert is going off. As for giving you orders?????

**** Off - I've treated you the same way I treat anyone else on this board and I'm not gonna tip toe around you because you claim to be black.
LOL...expect the race baiters to be along shortly demanding you be sanctioned...

Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL...expect the race baiters to be along shortly demanding you be sanctioned...
riiiiiight

Both of you(You and Detroit) need to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies