U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 5,411,987 times
Reputation: 1985

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
They don't drop you if you become sick as long as you pay your premiums.
They refuse to cover treatments and essentially that makes your "insurance" useless. Pay $400 a month only to find they won't cover a procedure YOUR Dr. says you need? There is no valid reason for this. Was not pre existing, is not expiramental. Or better yet, they authorize something and then change their mind AFTER the procedure because it is a second time so they instructed the Dr. incorrectly and oh are stuck with a thousand dollar bill? Nan other industry it would be fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,121 posts, read 26,703,943 times
Reputation: 16255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
They refuse to cover treatments and essentially that makes your "insurance" useless. Pay $400 a month only to find they won't cover a procedure YOUR Dr. says you need? There is no valid reason for this. Was not pre existing, is not expiramental. Or better yet, they authorize something and then change their mind AFTER the procedure because it is a second time so they instructed the Dr. incorrectly and oh are stuck with a thousand dollar bill? Nan other industry it would be fraud.
This has happened many times to me, and fighting it is a long and arduous battle. HealthNet in CA decided to deny ALL of my claims because they decided my local Dr didn't have the 'correct' qualifications to sign a prescription for a medication I had been receiving consistently for nearly 12 years at that point. Imagine being 22 and getting a call from a collections company asking if you would like to start a payment plan for the $240,000 bill your insurance company decided it didn't want to pay.

After that, they decided they didnt want to pony up the $139 twice a month to have a home health nurse come over and start an IV for my meds. I asked if I could pay cash and they told me they wouldnt release my medication to me unless it was done in the location of heir choosing. They decided I needed to come to the closest 'Health Net approved' hospital which was a 2-1/2 hour drive away. So, as a full time student with a full time job, for 6 months I had to drive 2-1/2 hours each way (during normal business hours, of course) every other week to get my meds.

Yeah, insurance companies are super helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM
 
6,226 posts, read 6,850,493 times
Reputation: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This has happened many times to me, and fighting it is a long and arduous battle. HealthNet in CA decided to deny ALL of my claims because they decided my local Dr didn't have the 'correct' qualifications to sign a prescription for a medication I had been receiving consistently for nearly 12 years at that point. Imagine being 22 and getting a call from a collections company asking if you would like to start a payment plan for the $240,000 bill your insurance company decided it didn't want to pay.

After that, they decided they didnt want to pony up the $139 twice a month to have a home health nurse come over and start an IV for my meds. I asked if I could pay cash and they told me they wouldnt release my medication to me unless it was done in the location of heir choosing. They decided I needed to come to the closest 'Health Net approved' hospital which was a 2-1/2 hour drive away. So, as a full time student with a full time job, for 6 months I had to drive 2-1/2 hours each way (during normal business hours, of course) every other week to get my meds.

Yeah, insurance companies are super helpful.
I've haggled with these hustlers several times. I did this for my wife. I can not imagine the stress this can cause you on top of the fact that you have to deal with your condition. This another illness on top of your condition. It's called stress and it is a killer. The stress that I went through dealing with 3 different insurance companies over a period of a few years added age on me, grey spots appeared on my head and hair started falling out in clumps under those spots. Even when my wife received her medicare it took months for my body to recover from the stress. This is dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 12:25 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,103 posts, read 1,400,444 times
Reputation: 3671
Should "Pre-Existing" conditions be covered under regular health insurance?


No. That's just a way to fool people by hiding the horrendous costs of "pre-existing conditions" coverage, by trying to hide them behind an insurance plan.

States should set up their own programs that cover pre-existing conditions only, and leave genuine insurance to insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 04:27 AM
 
Location: annandale, va & slidell, la
7,402 posts, read 3,053,521 times
Reputation: 6224
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. Unlike car or home insurance, health care is a basic human necessity.
Really. Since when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 10:12 AM
 
9,515 posts, read 2,339,655 times
Reputation: 4707
If my insurance company takes you on with pre-existing conditions and your insurance company take me on with pre-existing conditions then there is no difference from keeping our old policies to switching carriers, the risk would share out the same.

That is why a single payer plan makes so much sense: eliminate the angst we are having over this and keep people from falling through the cracks and being financially ruined.

The emphasis can then shift to preventive medicine and the entire society would save a boatload. Right now people neglect themselves because the deductibles are too high (which is actually what I am dealing with right now). Single payer can emphasize preventive care because the very same system will save money down the road.

Medicare for all could do that. Plans that do not cover essential health criteria are not helpful, they just participate in the agony we already face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,103 posts, read 1,400,444 times
Reputation: 3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
If my insurance company takes you on with pre-existing conditions and your insurance company take me on with pre-existing conditions then there is no difference from keeping our old policies to switching carriers, the risk would share out the same.

That is why a single payer plan makes so much sense: eliminate the angst we are having over this and keep people from falling through the cracks and being financially ruined.

The emphasis can then shift to preventive medicine and the entire society would save a boatload. Right now people neglect themselves because the deductibles are too high (which is actually what I am dealing with right now). Single payer can emphasize preventive care because the very same system will save money down the road.

Medicare for all could do that. Plans that do not cover essential health criteria are not helpful, they just participate in the agony we already face.
Unfortunately for the big-govt leftists, single-payer (i.e. big government running all health plans, levying taxes to pay for it all, transferring wealth from the high earners to the low earners to hide how much it costs, little or no control of costs except for rationing and death panels) is unconstitutional in this country, and for good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:11 PM
 
9,515 posts, read 2,339,655 times
Reputation: 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Unfortunately for the big-govt leftists, single-payer ... is unconstitutional in this country, and for good reason.
Please explain your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top