Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

I believe Obama mentioned an extension of benefits beyond the current 99 weeks. Do you agree they should or otherwise?

I note the justification is that those who receive the benefits immediately use them for basic living expenses-utility, housing and food expenses and the dollars travel throughout the commerce system which then provide continued employement to those in the receiving businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I believe Obama mentioned an extension of benefits beyond the current 99 weeks. Do you agree they should or otherwise?

I note the justification is that those who receive the benefits immediately use them for basic living expenses-utility, housing and food expenses and the dollars travel throughout the commerce system which then provide employement.
No...this is just more of a power grab to control people.

Let the system bottom out and start to rebuild when Obama is gone.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

I note the justification is that those who receive the benefits immediately use them for basic living expenses-utility, housing and food expenses and the dollars travel throughout the commerce system which then provide employement.

Disagree

Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
I will get wrangled here, but I disagree with endless extensions. At least, not with the current way that unemployment is administered. I believe that, as with many things, there should be limits. And I speak of this from experience with numerous family and friends who recently were or still are on unemployment.

In my drive into work, I saw signs at McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts, a gas station, and a couple of local shops indicating they were hiring. It boggles me that in a country that has >9% unemployed there would be any jobs open. Why aren't people jumping on these jobs? Quite simply, those unemployed get paid more to sit at home and collect unemployment checks. That's not right.

One limit I would agree with extending continuously would be on a set amount of money that would cover basic needs of life (housing, food, etc.). It's not right that 2 people unemployed with the same size family in the same town would get different amounts simply because one person 'earned' more than another when they had a job. If the amount were set lower but still adequate to help people, more people would be searching for any and all work they could get to make money.

I think there is also a sense of self-worth when working that is lost with receiving checks and further complicates the employment and economic situation IMO.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Just give them guns. Might as well put an end to this nation's misery.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
A person can get a job at Home Depot. Some are waiting for a position. They can almost always get a part time job. Does unemployment permit a person taking what they can get.
They are always ads in my newspaper wanting carriers.
I'd give 6 months and match what they earn for the next 12 months. Same for welfare.
Where I grew up, it was root hog or die.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
No. I think if unemployment, as it currently exists, were capped and we suddenly stopped paying out to those using it long term we will see a just as sudden decline in the unemployment rate. I know it's got to be insanely hard to go for a well paying job to low wage that doesn't require the same skill set or whatever, but i think most people in that position can make at least as much as unemployment gives them.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
See Obama isn't really that smart. What he SHOULD have done was just put these people to work doing the things in his Jobs plan. I know why he didn't, those jobs are reserved for his union masters.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
UE benefits should be CANCELLED for all in any town that has jobs available. If there is ONE fast food resturant with a "help wanted" sign then all benefits are cancelled until the job is filled. As long as someone is hiring there should not be any unemployment payments.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
let em keep it, just reduce it slowly over time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies