Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the US justified in bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Yes. The US was justified 144 79.56%
No. The US was not justified. 32 17.68%
Other 5 2.76%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:15 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The worst part of all this thread is that those making all the noise against that use of the A bomb was ordered by a Democrat, Harry Truman. Now if he had been a Republican, I could understand it.
The new worst part of this thread is that someone is so encompassed in Democrat vs Republican that they think it matters which party ordered the killing of 100's of 1000's of individuals.

I ask again though, are you saying that sometimes it is ok to kill innocent individuals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Filihok,

You constantly ask this question regarding if is it ok to kill innocent civilians...I have to ask if you are aware what is meant by a declared status of warfare between two states? Warfare makes killing legal and moral. Anyone engaged in work which supports the ability of the adversarial state to engage in warfare is the enemy. There are conventions which place limits and definitions regarding the conduct of warfare and some are adhered to and some are not. Sometimes it is the course of the war which changes how warfare is practiced(change from precision bombing to area bombing due to the inability to pinpoint targets) and sometimes it is actions by the enemy which then invite retribution.

To answer your question...it is ok to kill civilians. There really are no innocent civilians in warfare except infants, the severely disabled and the extremely aged. That is harsh but true.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
There were some military establishments in those cities. It is kind of like the Vietnamese putting storage facilities for weapons or ammunition so close to civilian hospitals hoping they wouldn't be bombed. Sometimes that kind of reasoning has to result in killing of civilians and they knew it.
There are indeed difficult moral choices in war--even in a war you have to be involved in, which WW2 never was for the U.S. That being said, most people would argue that the existence of 'gray areas' does not mean there is no difference between killing 100 noncombatants to get one combatant, or killing one noncombatant to get 100 combatants.

Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki--to name the most obvious--fall into the former class.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Filihok,

You constantly ask this question regarding if is it ok to kill innocent civilians...I have to ask if you are aware what is meant by a declared status of warfare between two states? Warfare makes killing legal and moral. Anyone engaged in work which supports the ability of the adversarial state to engage in warfare is the enemy. There are conventions which place limits and definitions regarding the conduct of warfare and some are adhered to and some are not. Sometimes it is the course of the war which changes how warfare is practiced(changed from precision bombing to area bombing due to the inability to pinpoint targets) and sometimes it is actions by the enemy which then invite retribution.

To answer your question...it is ok to kill civilians. There really are no innocent civilians in warfare except infants, the severely disabled and the extremely aged. That is harsh but true.

Do you believe that infants, the severely disabled and the extremely aged were killed in the Japan bombings? Do you believe that the US was justified in killing these innocent individuals?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That is your opinion. It is not the state of international law as it now stands, or even as it stood in the 1940s.

BTW, if your definition is sound, 9/11 was obviously much more moral than the atomic bombings. (By my more stringent definition, 9/11 was equally immoral.)

Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Do you believe that infants, the severely disabled and the extremely aged were killed in the Japan bombings? Do you believe that the US was justified in killing these innocent individuals?
Please no smiley face if you are grown and mature person. I do not in any manner sense intelligence on your part as you are only asking questions and not detailing your position. You do not seem to grasp basic principles of warfare. Instead of a smiley face perhaps you can answer my question above as we have answered your very brief quips.

Again this was made clear to you by others. Innocents (as categorized above)do die in warfare if they encumber the ability to strike at the targets which advance the end of the war.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Please no smiley face if you are grown and mature person. I do not in any manner sense intelligence on your part as you are only asking questions and stating your position. You do not seem to grasp basic principles of warfare. Instead of a smiley face perhaps you can answer my question above as we have answered your very brief quips.

Again this was made clear to you by others. Innocents (as categorized above)do die in warfare if they encumber the ability to strike at the targets which advance the end of the war.
So, are you saying that it is, sometimes, ok to kill innocent individuals?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
There are indeed difficult moral choices in war--even in a war you have to be involved in, which WW2 never was for the U.S. That being said, most people would argue that the existence of 'gray areas' does not mean there is no difference between killing 100 noncombatants to get one combatant, or killing one noncombatant to get 100 combatants.

Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki--to name the most obvious--fall into the former class.

Given the chance, don't you think that the Germans, and the Japanese would have done the same to the US? I'm betting they would have. Just sayin'.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That is your opinion. It is not the state of international law as it now stands, or even as it stood in the 1940s.
I am familar with international laws of warfare in that period and initially there were limits placed on the conduct of certain aspects of the war. But the difficulty of the struggle and the need to achieve victory voided peacetime conventions.

That is not opinion, that is fact.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The new worst part of this thread is that someone is so encompassed in Democrat vs Republican that they think it matters which party ordered the killing of 100's of 1000's of individuals.
Amen to that. Had I been around prior to about 1960--maybe even 1968--I would've been a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies