Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Why do we have to learn to live with diversity? All I hear is diversity is great, multiculturalism is great but why do you believe it's great?

Compare the situations of what happened in New Orleans after Katrina and what happened in Japan after the quake and tsunami. I can't believe the Japanese were looting and shooting each other after the tsunami, oh wait, that didn't happen in Japan that happened in your "diverse" New Orleans.

I bet you're happy that this girl experienced "diversity." Girl, 15, 'raped at music festival' - *UK News - MSN News UK

You would certainly like this guy as the police chief in your town, he is so against racism that "as a white police chief, I wish we would only use force against white people, because it would erase that issue that's so hard to deal with and is so troubling for so many people."

Allender hears from North Rapid
Because it is already here and won't go away, simple as that. All we can do is try to make the best of it...
I don't like diversity as such, either, it only serves as a first step towards something new resulting from fusion.

Sometimes we think things were oh so great in the past while they suck now. Then we look around us and blame what is easiest to spot.

It seems to me that most Americans don't embrace what is different. At best they coexist with others. That attitude makes a lot of people feel unwelcome, which leads to many problems in society. In the US people are so fixed on competition and success, which creates a certain climate that may help the economy (at first glance), but hurts society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Or maybe we could just do things like let people go where they want to go, do what they want to do, and associate with who they choose to. We could also let companies hire the best candidates for their needs. We could let police and fire departments hire and promote by merit. But oh, no!.....that's no good. We have to intervene and re-program people's brains and start getting to them at a young age so it will be most effective. e have to force diversity on people. It's for their own good afterall.....
Yes, the Brazilian solution - only those of "good appearance" (read, white) should be hired.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Couldn't agree more myself - what exactly is the purpose of creating social divisions and making the native/long-standing population feel alienated in their own country? Btw, somebody dared to write an article about the racial aspect to the London riots:

Race and the riots: A reckoning | The Economist

Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Because it is already here and won't go away, simple as that. All we can do is try to make the best of it...
I don't like diversity as such, either, it only serves as a first step towards something new resulting from fusion.

Sometimes we think things were oh so great in the past while they suck now. Then we look around us and blame what is easiest to spot.

It seems to me that most Americans don't embrace what is different. At best they coexist with others. That attitude makes a lot of people feel unwelcome, which leads to many problems in society. In the US people are so fixed on competition and success, which creates a certain climate that may help the economy (at first glance), but hurts society.
This is what I think will happen.

Each group will constantly push for autonomy.

Something we see in Israel with Palestine.

This has happened all throughout history. It happened to countries in South America & here in the U.S. We pushed for autonomy. History repeats itself.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM

656 posts, read 648,345 times
Diversity usually really means white people moving into a black neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
this is not surprising, nor is it surprising that the academians are scrambling to "explain away" the negative consequences of diversity.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's culture damn it. Race is an arbitrary trait. We are not pre-programmed to distrust other races.
Yes, I think it's culture.

I also think this is just typical Harvard Ivory Tower research that has little to do with real people.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
It seems to me that the strive for autonomy is above all present where there used to be a conflict or even war in the past. Such events spoil relationships for centuries...

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The legacy of slavery will eventually kill this country. There is hate loose in our culture, masquerading as tolerance, which knows no bounds and will not be satisfied.

There was a chance for us at the Constitutional convention. We blew it. Now we`re finding out how much it really cost us...
I do believe this when it comes to white/black race relations. I don't think it would have done much with hispanic, asian, or arab populations as well at Native Americans though. But the founding fathers did have the opportunity to not allow slavery or to have it gradually come to an end (which many NE states did) but the country as a whole decided not to do that and we are still dealing with the after effects of that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Diversity usually really means white people moving into a black neighborhood.
That is not considered diversity. It is considered gentrification and for some reason many people see it as a wonderful thing whereas many don't see diversity in the same light. Diversity usually means adding black, hispanic, women, asians, and the disabled into white non-disabled society. Someone here on CD once made me literally LOL when they said diversity means "black people" LOL, it still gives me giggles.

I never had any issues with diversity, I think because I grew up in a very integrated area and knew people from all backgrounds and walks of life. I do feel growing up in this sort of environment for children makes a difference but like PP said there is studies and you can tell even with little children who grew up in areas with great diversity that there is still the recognition of same traits and a pull to those who look the same. I remember being a little kid and sitting with only black kids (I am black) even though I had many white friends, Chicana/chicano friends, Vietnamese, Thai, and Laosian friends (I am not even from CA if you can believe it!!). For some reason I remember being more comfortable with black kids even though a bunch of them got on my nerves and I liked my friends of other ethnicities better than some of the black kids. This sitting situation actually changed rather quickly and by the time I was in jr. high it was non-existant but after reading a book regarding this behavior I thought about my own life and remembered sitting with the black kids in the cafeteria, we could sit wherever we wanted, and I really didn't have a valid reason to do that since I got along with everyone.

I actually do feel that honesty is the best policy and don't feel that many people's views on racial issues are racist. I think a lot of people use generalizations and stereotypes to often, I hear it and confront it more often in regards to black people because I am black and don't like to be put into a box. But I also combat white stereotypes that black people have quite often (there are a lot of negative and untrue stereotypes that black people have regarding white people, which many don't like to admit) because I like to see people as individuals and I have friends/associates of different backgrounds and do not want them to be lumped into a category that they are not a part of.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I always remmeebr my father saying his parents want nothing more than to be typical american and to join the cultture of america. i fact now days mnay including the governamnt seems to want people to stay spearate in that they encourage separation. That naturally brings about conflict of cultures.There is a reason so mnay areas of teh country have chinatowns;and other enthic areas.because virds of a feather do indeed flock together.Diversity is way over sold as a way of comig togtehr when often it brings cultural conflict by it very nature if people have different cultural beliefs and tradtions firmly held.Liike mixing water with oil; it separates naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies