Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your position on gay rights
I am a full supporter for all gay rights. 162 50.00%
I support some aspects of gay rights. 37 11.42%
I think that homosexuals and heterosexuals both have equal rights. 91 28.09%
I think that being gay is a sin, and therefore none of them should have rights. 34 10.49%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,112,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
In your mind but not historically in society.

Live how you want, leave the rest of us out of it.
Should we list off 400 things that histocially have been looked at as sinful and "wrong", but human kind opened their minds and grew up. Religion is the root of why many people judge what's apparently "right and wrong".

Relgion was developed thousands of years ago as a means to gain control and loyalty over groups of people. It kept people in check and under control of some ruler. Someone finally wised up that it's easier to punish people and scare them into following you when the person who's going to be coming after them and who they should be afraid of is someone they can't and won't ever see. Don't come at me all angry at having to pay your taxes and follow my rules - it's not my law! It's God's law. It was pretty genious thinking. It also tapped right into the "why are we here?" question that so many people have.

These days it's almost seen as a relic by a lot of people, although obviously a relic that many still follow to a large degree, and although waning, it still has a LOT of power. I think in a hundred years people will look back and view religion with a lot of curiosity. People will think "how could everyone be so gullible??", but obviously the power of group thinking and a huge majority pushing a topic can be extremely influencing. Which is ironically why so many people think homosexuality is bad. Because they've been told it is, not because they have personal reason to make up their mind for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,735,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
God said it is.
God also said wearing mixed fabrics is a sin and working on Saturdays is abomination worthy of death.

I know for a fact you break both of those.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,112,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post

Oookay, then back to the two consenting adults being close family members, like parent/ adult child, or siblings.

Or is "but it's different" only applicable to any segment of society that isn't the gay community?
You're talking about biological relatives getting married. Siblings, parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents. How do you not see that's different from two unrelated consenting adults getting married?

If you really feel strongly, then make a push to be able to marry your sister or your mom.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
In your mind but not historically in society.

Live how you want, leave the rest of us out of it.
Which society? Romans and Greeks didn't have much of a problem with until the rise of Christianity. Our society also thought black people were inferior, so I'm not sure how the history argument works in your favor.

However, if you'd like to live in a place where they hold on to archaic moral standards, feel free to move to Iran. I'll even buy you a one way ticket!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As a straight man, I say live and let live, and keep the damn government out of peoples bedrooms! I don't necessarily understand it (I'm straight duh!) but I'm not going to persecute someone based on their skin color, religion, or sexual orientation. A lot of prejudice is based on the fear of the unknown.

And yes I believe in what some call the "sky daddy!" (I call Him God) Imagine that! I may not be a religious nut, but more spiritual, as I feel that religion is sometimes used in a negative light. I also realize what so many other Christians don't realize is you can't "pray away the gay." People are who they are, and as long as they're good to one another, or make a conscious effort to do so (because let's face it we're only human) that is OK by me. I would also imagine that their are many gay Christians out there as well as many Christians that are tolerant of people from all walks of life.
I appreciate that atleast someone gets the fact that praying away the gay doesn't work. It's the "it's a choice, and you choose to be a gay abomination" crowd that really infuriate me.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,504,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Full equality - if I have the right, then they have the right. Simple.

[/thread]

Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,602,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
God also said wearing mixed fabrics is a sin and working on Saturdays is abomination worthy of death.

I know for a fact you break both of those.
Yup. Sure do. Those commands were given to the nation of Israel about 3000 years ago. I'm not an ancient Israelite, so it doesn't really apply to me.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:47 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,024,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
You're talking about biological relatives getting married. Siblings, parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents. How do you not see that's different from two unrelated consenting adults getting married?
Don't you see that it may look "WTF??" to you to imagine that anyone would want to take such a course,
in the same way that two people of the same sex doesn't make sense as a married couple to most other people?

First you and others with your viewpoint insist that "It's different from a car or a dog,etc!" (which I agree) but then your reason is that "the car or dog can't sign an agreement. Alright then.

Then, of course, the underage-argument is inappropriate b/c it's dealing with minors.
Got it.

And then the insistence is "2 consenting adults, both of whom can sign an agreement."
Ok.
Fine.

So then why not close family members?

Because it doesn't suit your agenda, that is why.
Of course I have no interest in marrying my parents or kids or cousins.
I'm simply proving your "but gay marriage makes so much sense!" argument false.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Yup. Sure do. Those commands were given to the nation of Israel about 3000 years ago. I'm not an ancient Israelite, so it doesn't really apply to me.

Then why do you condemn gays using the same laws? We know for a fact that 1 Corinthians never referred to homosexuals until 1958 when Bible publishers changed it. And you guys butcher Romans 1 like crazy to push that as referring to modern day gays.

Jesus never declared a new law that condemns gay people, which means you are clinging to 2 (out of 37,000+) verses that are known mistranslations for your hatred of gays.

That's awfully illogical.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,602,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Then, of course, the underage-argument is inappropriate b/c it's dealing with minors.
Someone earlier said homosexuality was not wrong, and asked why we think we have the authority to say it is.

I ask the same of you here---why is there an age of consent? What makes your argument right? For the record, I do think there should be an age limit, but I question why you think you can set an arbitrary age limit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies