Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

I am a Marine. I am not offended by the post. I don't think the OP was saying that the Marine was not heroic. I think the question is whether he was more deserving than other Marines who are in combat or was it given to promote the ill advised war. It is a legitimate question. I think there is no doubt that the Marine was heroic.

During World War II 464 United States military personnel received the Medal of Honor, 266 of them posthumously. Meaning more than half received the medal after they died in battle. I have not heard of that many posthumous medal of honor award winners during this conflict. Supporters of the war are not so quick to roll out a disfigured Marine as a medal of honer winner or do not like placing the medal of honor on a casket.

I have no problem with the Marine getting the medal of honor, but it is a fair question as to whether the govt. is using it to promote a bad war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am a Marine. I am not offended by the post. I don't think the OP was saying that the Marine was not heroic. I think the question is whether he was more deserving than other Marines who are in combat or was it given to promote the ill advised war. It is a legitimate question. I think there is no doubt that the Marine was heroic.

During World War II 464 United States military personnel received the Medal of Honor, 266 of them posthumously. Meaning more than half received the medal after they died in battle. I have not heard of that many posthumous medal of honor award winners during this conflict. Supporters of the war are not so quick to roll out a disfigured Marine as a medal of honer winner or do not like placing the medal of honor on a casket.

I have no problem with the Marine getting the medal of honor, but it is a fair question as to whether the govt. is using it to promote a bad war.
I feel you, I really do.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:

If this was used to promote a war then Obama is either heavily involved in it all or he is a hopeless tool. Which would that be?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:

If that were the case, dont you think the govt would be handing out the MOH like Pez?

Medal of Honor
Criteria: The Medal of Honor is awarded by the President, in the name of Congress, to a person who, while a member of the Army, distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his or her comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of the service will be exacted and each recommendation for the award of this decoration will be considered on the standard of extraordinary merit.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Interesting FYI to all the posters in this thread.
The OP changed his status to "proud veteran" about 5 minutes ago.
Whats that about?
It appears you got him squirming a bit too much. Now he can play the part of proud veteran who's been there. What a flake.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Brother, you see the larger picture. This aint about me and it aint about this brave Marine.
I picked up on your point too danny. Of course this marine is a hero among many - the tragedy is that he was put in that position in the first place.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
I haven't read this thread so I don't know what turns it has taken but to the OP, let me say I am very much anti-war, I wish we lived in a world where these men and women didn't have to fight at all, but we don't and the recipients of this medal stepped up to the plate and did things that the vast majority of us wouldn't have the guts to do so they deserve to be recognized. They don't give out that award to just anyone and the recipients didn't choose to wage unpopular wars. All recipients of the MoH have put themselves directly in harms way to save their comrades and when most recipients aren't even alive to receive it, you know it stands for something significant.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Marketing of war? OBAMA WANTS OUT OF THE WAR.
I always agree with your posts, but this one leaves me puzzled. Obama wants us involved in as many wars as is possible. Wars stimulate the economy, keeps these young men employed, and allows Obama to apply his skills as community organizer on a global scale. Obama does not want us out of war - quite the opposite. Remember Libya would be a matter of weeks, not months? There are plans for a U.S. base there now. There are more regime changes planned.
I don't believe Obama respects our military, honoring this marine is a requirement of his job as Commander in Chief. I suspect that is what odanny was attempting to say.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
this thread is interesting, as it crosses "party lines".

i think the days are over, though, that if you question the point of these "wars" you are not being patriotic, or are being disrespectful to the soldiers.

the troops themselves seem to be questioning the "mission":

Troops Growing Disillusioned With Afghan War

After a decade of war in Afghanistan, exhaustive support for a corrupt government, and training and weaponizing security forces with loyalty to themselves and themselves only, many troops are losing confidence in the war effort. Their disillusionment was on display in a recent survey that showed less than half believe the mission is likely to succeed and over 40 percent disapproving of Barack Obama’s handling of the war.

Read the rest of the report from the Army Times

you have to give the troops credit for continuing to do their job, but when they see the "mission" failing maybe it really is time to come home.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:00 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There is absolutely nothing irrational about loudly protesting a person's attempts to demean a hero who chose to lay down his life for his fellow warriors but fought so valiantly he not only lived, he saved the lives of three dozen people. If we're speaking with a united voice it's a testament to this Marine's epic heroism. Only someone truly deranged, in Odanny's case it is political derangement, would question it.

What is Odanny going to do for an encore? P*** on the 9/11 firefighters?
He did not demean a hero.

You and most others missed his point entirely - a very valid point that should give a moment of pause to all citizens as it has been a long, long time since our war involvement served the interests of average Americans. These recent wars have been sold with outright lies in some cases and by stirring up the kind of emotional frenzy we see in this thread. Clearly that is easily done and marvelously effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies