Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:37 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Apparently breaking the marriage vow when your wife has Alzheimer's is okay with God since, according to Robertson, "[it] is a kind of death." Gotta love Robertson-style Christian compassion

Robertson: Divorce Your Wife With Alzheimers - YouTube
I SWEAR!!! GET THIS CLOWN OFF THE AIR!!!! NOW!!!

HE IS A JOKE!! EVERYTIME HE OPENS HIS PIE HOLE, THE NAME OF CHRIST GETS SMEARED!!!

THAT WOMAN SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM TO TASK. BUT SHE'D BE FIRED!!

HE DOES NOT REPRESENT WHAT HE BIBLE CLEARLY STATES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I've always wondered how any Christian in America could ever dare open their mouth and condemn cursing, sexual content, violence, etc that comes on TV while refusing to condemn the spiritual RAPE that money grubbing televangelist lunatics like Robertson and other frauds commit daily using the name of Christ as their justification and reason for their actions.
Because most American conservative Christians are giant hypocrites? "We don't have to follow the Mosaic Laws, but Leviticus still applies to gay people", "The rich have no chance of going to Heaven, but let's milk millions of dollars, private jets, mansions, etc. out of the gullible believers with our multi-million dollar prosperity pushing stadium sized churches", "Gluttony is a sin, but let's become the fattest population in the western world", "Jesus condemned divorce, but let's have a 50% divorce statistic anyway!", "Pre-marital sex is a sin, but 90% of us still do it, and we should also have the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country!"

Need I go on?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:05 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Technically yes - but do you condemn everyone who has gotten a divorce for whatever reason?

Yes, the vows include "until death do us part" but that would seem to justify someone killing a cheating spouse - the killer is actually remaining true to his vows, the cheater was not.

Jesus also said to let God do the judging, so it might be better to not judge too harshly, you don't always know what those people are going through. And divorce is certainly preferrable than what happened in the Schiavo case where the husband felt he had to kill his wife for her illness. But yes, it is more noble and honorable to remain with a very ill spouse.
I'm not judging the people who divorce for reasons like this. I'm merely speaking to the hypocrisy of Pat Robertson.

I can't stand when people claim the Bible is the 100% inerrant, literal Word of God, and yet cherry pick the majority of it whenever it suits them.

Jesus did not give any exceptions to divorce aside from infidelity, and only then the spouse who did not cheat can divorce the spouse who did.
If Pat Robertson were to follow the Bible as he claims he does, he should be following Jesus' command. But this proves he is not, thereby making him a hypocrite.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
There are other choices. One choice would be to find companionship through support groups for spouses of people who have serious medical issues. You don't have to become sexually involved with someone, which crosses the line of breaking your marriage vows. That's a choice.
That wasn't the question asked of Robertson.

Quote:
I personally think a person who would cheat on a spouse with Alzheimer's probably would have cheated under other circumstances as well. Perhaps they didn't have a good marriage and the Alzheimer's (or any serious medical condition) is just an excuse to leave.
Could be the case,no idea.

Quote:
How can you claim to have loved someone for 20, 30, 40 years and then just desert them when they need you the most and move on with your life?
No idea,people do it all the time when there is no illness...

Quote:
A person with Alzheimer's has the unique ability to teach the whole family what unconditional love is all about. If a spouse stands by an Alzheimer's patient, that teaches their kids and grandchildren how to treat them when their times comes to face the challenges of failing health. That's unconditional love, to keep on loving when the other person can't show love back.
We are intimately aware(and learning) what it is like to live with someone.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
From a secular point of view, sure divorce. But since this thread is about Pat Robertson, who claims to be a devout conservative Christian, then no, it's forbidden by Jesus Christ himself.
You seem to not have read what was asked of Robertson...the circumstances involved.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm not judging the people who divorce for reasons like this. I'm merely speaking to the hypocrisy of Pat Robertson.

I can't stand when people claim the Bible is the 100% inerrant, literal Word of God, and yet cherry pick the majority of it whenever it suits them.

Jesus did not give any exceptions to divorce aside from infidelity, and only then the spouse who did not cheat can divorce the spouse who did.
If Pat Robertson were to follow the Bible as he claims he does, he should be following Jesus' command. But this proves he is not, thereby making him a hypocrite.
I have a feeling this has really nothing to do with what Robertson said. If he would have said people should not divorce, the same people would condemn him.

I think people should stay married - or try, but Jesus also didn't mention divorcing in the case of abuse which I think they should at least when it's physical abuse, and drug addiction can certainly make a marriage intolerable and impossible which I think can be another reason for divorce. For Catholics, it's remarriage that's the issue more than divorce, they're like - okay divorce but you can't marry again except annulment seems easily enough obtained and then they can remarry.

I guess this is between Pat Robertson and his followers or congregation.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Could be the case,no idea.

No idea,people do it all the time when there is no illness...

We are intimately aware(and learning) what it is like to live with someone.
And sometimes Alzheimers strikes the relatively young, and if someone loses their spouse because their spouse doesn't know who they are at age 55, that might be more difficult than a 90 year old couple.

My aunt was older and she forgot who my uncle was, she had to be in assisted care so she wouldn't wander away and get lost but he would come and have lunch with her every day and help feed her. She thought she had a nice boyfriend but that's all he was to her at that point. A boyfriend whose name she couldn't recall. She would ask about him though, asking the caregivers where her boyfriend was or when was he coming. She forgot all the kids she had had with him also.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC
Is it better you screw around on your spouse with Alzheimers,become bitter about your religion and feel the person is already dead OR to divorce your spouse?
To which I answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
There are other choices. One choice would be to find companionship through support groups for spouses of people who have serious medical issues. You don't have to become sexually involved with someone, which crosses the line of breaking your marriage vows. That's a choice.
Sorry you don't like my answer. I feel really bad about that. Robertson, a so-called man of God, didn't have to validate either one of those choices but he did. You call the counseling? I sure don't.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You asked:

To which I answered:

Sorry you don't like my answer. I feel really bad about that. Robertson, a so-called man of God, didn't have to validate either one of those choices but he did. You call the counseling? I sure don't.
Well if you want to use my question,I gave you the only two choices...screw around on the spouse or divorce.

Which one is it?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
It's much better to do it the Democrat way and just screw some employee and knock them up while waiting for your wife to die.
The "Democrat way"? What then do we make of Gingrich and McCain? Did they switch parties?

It kills me how people are soooo committed to their political parties that they'll deify the one they belong do and completely damn the other. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter if they have a D or R at the end of their name, at the end of the day they only care about their own careers. You're in the worst possible shape if you actually believe they have your interests at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies