Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:10 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Really? Then why take wedding vows if you want out when it gets rough? I was always taught that a sin is a sin.
The person in question was ALREADY committing adultery,while his wife had Alzheimers.
Robertson simply said,it would be better for him to divorce her rather than be an adulterer but to also provide for her.

I didn't think it THAT difficult to read myself...maybe others would rather just be outraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2010/12/pat-robertson-condones-legalized-pot/

Not sure if this will work. Not an Ace at posting links... but when I Googled it, this came up.
I hope you didn't try to type the link.

The easy way to post links is to highlight them; then hold your "Ctrl" key down with the "c" key to tell your computer to remember it. Next, go to where you are writing your post and to where you want to put the link and left click until you see the curser blink. Then type the keys "Ctrl" and same as above, while holding down that key, type "k" and you should see what you copied appear where you wanted it to go. Ctrl + C and Ctrl + K will save you a load of time on-line and is very handy to use in copying stuff.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Here's what Robertson actually said. At the tail end of Tuesday's show, his cohost, Terry Meeuwsen, read a chat-room question from a man seeking advice. The message said:

I have a friend whose wife suffers from Alzheimer's. She doesn't even recognize him anymore, and, as you can imagine, the marriage has been rough. My friend has gotten bitter at God for allowing his wife to be in that condition, and now he's started seeing another woman. He says that he should be allowed to see other people because his wife as he knows her is gone … I'm not quite sure what to tell him.

Meeuwsen turned to Robertson for an answer. In the video, you can see him struggling:

That is a terribly hard thing. I hate Alzheimer's. It is one of the most awful things, because here's the loved one—this is the woman or man that you have loved for 20, 30, 40 years, and suddenly that person is gone. They're gone. They are gone. So what he says basically is correct, but—I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again. But to make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her—

Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
To be frank - It's smart - legally and financially -
especially if you have heirs/children who you
want to leave inheritance to.

It might be "smart legally and financially" but how is it moral to shift the financial burden of your spouse's care on to the state when you have the funds available? I just don't get how Christians can justify that in their minds. When my husband was in a brain injury class one of the other couples there didn't have to pay for any of those classes or the brain injury daycare they used for him because they had shifted all their assets to her name. The following year they took all their kids (5) and their spouses on an all expenses paid vacation to Hawaii. These are devoted Christians who obviously see nothing wrong with taking services from the state that they could very well afford to pay.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It might be "smart legally and financially" but how is it moral to shift the financial burden of your spouse's care on to the state when you have the funds available? I just don't get how Christians can justify that in their minds. When my husband was in a brain injury class one of the other couples there didn't have to pay for any of those classes or the brain injury daycare they used for him because they had shifted all their assets to her name. The following year they took all their kids (5) and their spouses on an all expenses paid vacation to Hawaii. These are devoted Christians who obviously see nothing wrong with taking services from the state that they could very well afford to pay.
Don't you believe in the government helping others?

Why do you want people to die in the street?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
To be frank - It's smart - legally and financially -
especially if you have heirs/children who you
want to leave inheritance to.

Don't you believe in the government helping others?

Why do you want people to die in the street?
Yes, I do want the government to help the truly needy. But with the example I gave above, these people are far from needy. They shifted assets to keep from using them for medical costs/custodial care and thus let the state pick up the tab for a variety of things they could have paid for without any trouble. Over the past 11 years, I've been around a lot of people who have major medical issues and I don't begrudge the state helping the ones who have limited assets, but the excuse and practice of using the state's assets so you can save your assets to pass on to your kids is immoral in my opinion. Legal doesn't make it right.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do want the government to help the truly needy. But with the example I gave above, these people are far from needy. They shifted assets to keep from using them for medical costs/custodial care and thus let the state pick up the tab for a variety of things they could have paid for without any trouble. Over the past 11 years, I've been around a lot of people who have major medical issues and I don't begrudge the state helping the ones who have limited assets, but the excuse and practice of using the state's assets so you can save your assets to pass on to your kids is immoral in my opinion. Legal doesn't make it right.
I thought the point of government help regarding healthcare like you want was to stop people becoming bankrupt from the costs?

The people in question stopped that from happening,of course it was without government help.

Is that the problem you have with it?

Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I thought the point of government help regarding healthcare like you want was to stop people becoming bankrupt from the costs?

The people in question stopped that from happening,of course it was without government help.

Is that the problem you have with it?
No, the problem I have with this couple is that they have $500,000 sitting in the bank waiting for them to die so each of their kids can inherit $100,000 each. Meanwhile they are sucking up state assets as if the husband were a charity case. They are not in danger of going bankrupted to pay for medical expenses. If they were in danger of losing the house they live to pay to pay for medical expenses that would be a different situation altogether. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? If you have the ability to pay, you should. If not I have no problem with programs that help those who can't.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:11 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,525 times

Would Jesus Wear a Rolex? - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
No, the problem I have with this couple is that they have $500,000 sitting in the bank waiting for them to die so each of their kids can inherit $100,000 each. Meanwhile they are sucking up state assets as if the husband were a charity case. They are not in danger of going bankrupted to pay for medical expenses. If they were in danger of losing the house they live to pay to pay for medical expenses that would be a different situation altogether. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?
Wow,you know the smallest details of this other families life...
So if I have this correct,you want the state to pay for people's care,but not care for the people who have 'enough' money,as decided by your standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies