Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Libertarians promote liberty first the individuals right to fail and or succeed, and with indivudual choices comes protections, new groups and advocates to protect the buyer. Big Business will never be the solution to anything but neither is government and when they work together to rape the country its the worst kind. Big Business can't control a free market only government and laws can of which is why big business likes government. Some how maybe you think libertarians and or the ideas of freedom will let the wolves wild on unsuspecting people. Government allows insane practices for votes and tax credits.
Big Business has no problem with government and or taxes because they find ways not to pay any and use government to get what they want. If libertarians were big business and wealthy peoples and evil peoples best friend Ron Paul would have Mitt Romeny and Rick Perry money and thousands of corporations on his side.
A free society with rights and individual liberty will PUNISH those who cheat and steal and their business will go broke. There is nothing in the libertarian view the doesn't punish people via the law and sueing people who wrong doing. The individuals should be aware of what they buy and in free society free information leads to less restrictions and more information. 300 million arent just going to risk their lives and money on BS and or only if its supported and approved by the government. Right now today we already get screwed because government protects big business, banks and bails them out. In a free society and free market they would be on the streets for cheating and creating false line of credit.
The current Free trade we have is managed government trade which is not libertarian free trade and the cheap shirts from CHINA would not be so cheap and we wouldnt be borrowing money from China in order to run the government.

Game over! No need to keep this thread open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,894 times
Obviously this person is a Perristinian Freeper who despises RP for being a thorn by his side.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 11,647 times
Ron Paul is not a thorn in my side. He's insignificant. He wins straw polls because his supporters are mainly losers who follow him around, thus his support base is always overrepresented, but when actual elections come he's lucky to get 5% of the vote. I dislike him because he's an idiot, and his cultist followers are even worse. As for whoever suggested I might be a RINO, rest assured I'm conservative down the board. But being conservative means being a traditional conservative, which is far removed from libertarianism, with its stupid policies ("let's privatize roads!") and it's general obnoxious attitude

Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYanksAreComin View Post
He's insignificant.
Then why are you bothering?

So tell me, are you a freeper or an arfcomer? Or both?

Obama agrees with a large portion of your argument. Why not support him?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
I don't agree with all of Libertarian ideology, but Republitarians are the only folks in that party that has anything resembling a soul.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:30 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Ron Paul is not a thorn in my side. He's insignificant. He wins straw polls because his supporters are mainly losers who follow him around, thus his support base is always overrepresented, but when actual elections come he's lucky to get 5% of the vote. I dislike him because he's an idiot, and his cultist followers are even worse. As for whoever suggested I might be a RINO, rest assured I'm conservative down the board. But being conservative means being a traditional conservative, which is far removed from libertarianism, with its stupid policies ("let's privatize roads!") and it's general obnoxious attitude

Hmmm Governor Kasich of Ohio wants to privatize the Ohio Turnpike, and he is by no means a libertarian. But hey, you go ahead and continue to vote for the status quo, but don't b*** when it's the same ole same ole! You really think the current kooks in the NEOCON errr um republican party running for election are going to be any different than Obama? Take off your partisan blinders for cryin' out loud!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times
Quote:
Just as I predicted, my post on interest rates, workers on corporate boards, and a few other things was met by a barrage of libertarians making ridiculous comments like "well noone makes anyone sign up for a credit card" or "if you don't like what the CEO makes, you can go to another corporation." Yes, it's that simple.

Libertarians talk like this because they don't deal with pragmatic reality. Like many on the far left, they deal with abstract concepts, which always leads to gross oversimplifications. They are the mirror image of a left wing liberal. Just as a liberal says it's tragic when big business harms you, but ok if big government runs all over you, libertarians say the opposite; that big government should back off, but if a private actor crushes you, it's ok. Libertarians will correctly assert that big business often uses big government as a tool, something liberals always seem to miss. But in the case where this is not true, if you express even modest concern for other people being taken advantage of, the libertarian vultures immediately swoop in and bash you.

And why is this? Because most libertarians are unbelievably selfish and envision a utopian society where government puts no restraints on any type of behavior, so that they can then rape and pillage. A perfect example where libertarian nonsense has overtaken traditional conservatism is trade policy. Phil Gramm once said "protectionism is a moral issue. If I want to buy a shirt from China, who has the moral right to stop me?" In other words, because he may, in the short term at least, be able to get a shirt for $1.50 less, who cares if millions of his fellow countrymen lose their jobs and we run enormous trade deficits? As long as he's doin good. And traditionally, conservatives have opposed free trade and liberals promoted it. It's only been since liberals cousins, the libertarians, began making noise in the GOP that they went the way of free trade.

Opposition to the left's constant big government power grabs and obscene regulations does not entail taking an attitude of "to hell with everyone else." Libertarians don't seem to grasp that. They apply a philosophy to the whole of life, which is why a libertarian is really nothing more than a Marxist turned inside out.
How can it be a stain to conservatism? They are two different schools of thought.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
So basically you're a neo-prog protectionist? Obama likes war, Gitmo, the Stasi Act and defends Israel too. Maybe you should vote for him?
Wow "neo-prog" just must be an automatic response for you. Did you miss the part where he opposes free trade agreements and meddling in the Middle East? Do you actually read the posts or do you just type some drivel about "neo-prog" like a robot?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM

15 posts, read 11,647 times
no1browns fan, I am far from voting for the "status quo." I want sweeping change, mainly from the pathetic idiocy that has been forced on this country by liberals in the past 40 years or so. But reading the Libertarian Party Platform, I really can't see how it would be much better. Government would theoretically be smaller, and i'm not gonna run down and critique the entire platform right here, but how anyone above the age of 16 can read that and think it's overall good is beyond me

VTH, the problem is that libertarians have injected their poison into conservatism so often, people are now starting to confuse the two. Libertarians oppose liberalism, as do I. However that does not make us similar. The police and the Bloods both oppose the Crips, but that doesn't mean cops and Bloods are one and the same. A libertarian is an anarchist, and an anarchist is a marxist liberal's cousin.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't agree with all of Libertarian ideology, but Republitarians are the only folks in that party that has anything resembling a soul.
Why can't it be Libertarepubs

But agreed - we are the only ones with soul
Train - Hey Soul Sister (Lyrics) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies