Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Not for the purpose of federal taxation by the mile. All indications are that it will be coming in the not too distant future.

Driving tax gains favor as gas tax funds fall short - May. 18, 2011
And GM has it's On Star system ready to track those miles and Obama's buddy with the new LightSquared ready to go on farmers tractors. Wonder why that Sprint/TMobile merger didn't go through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Many states are looking at highways as ways to increase revenue. Major highways are being considered to now be made toll roads, ostensibly to pay for road and bridge repairs.
In Pa we already have a large chunk of gas taxes go to pay for major urban mass transit.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Many states are looking at highways as ways to increase revenue. Major highways are being considered to now be made toll roads, ostensibly to pay for road and bridge repairs.
In Pa we already have a large chunk of gas taxes go to pay for major urban mass transit.
How does that relate to this thread?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bride and Outerbridge Crossing are scheduled to rise
Its sharing the cost of maintenance with people who live outside of NYC. Most bridges inside NYC are free to cross. Most highways are free to drive on in NYC (and Long Island). Yet go to NJ and they charge tolls to drive on their major highways. And how about all the tolls on I95 south into Maryland. They also charge tolls for highways, bridges and tunnels.

Quote:
By December 2015 cash tolls would increase gradually to $15
I'd be amazed if it doesn't go for $20 instead.

People don't seem to understand the NYC has over 8.1 million people (over 19 million for the state). Thats more people than most states have. Thus the crossings have high maintenance costs due to their extreme age and its extreme usage.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Yet another thread wanting to blame something else on Obama...

From what I heard they are raising the taxes because of the massive costs overrun on the rebuild of Ground Zero. This has nothing to do with Obama, or Bidden. What the transit authority does is their own doing.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
NY-NJ Port Authority OKs lower fare/toll hikes - International Business Times

A better idea as to what transpired and where the money is allegedly going to.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Funny thing is that it cost you $8 to drive into Manhattan on the GWB but it cost nothing to drive back to Jersey. I guess nobody would pay to drive to Jersey. In fact, Jersey should pay you to drive there!
It's actually a funny story the way this happened. They used to charge a toll each way ($.50, if I recall correctly), but in the 1960-s the Port Authority received a handful of letters proposing that they could save all the cost of collecting a toll on the outbound side if they doubled the toll and only collected it one way. They initially rejected the idea, but eventyally saw the wisdom in it.

My father was the first person to send them that suggestion, and they sent him a letter of appreciation when they adopted the new plan. I think we used to have it around the house somewhere, but I don't know what happened to it.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Okay, that may be an exaggeration but not by much.

"Cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bride and Outerbridge Crossing are scheduled to rise from $8 to $12 at 3 a.m. on Sunday. By December 2015 cash tolls would increase gradually to $15 under a plan approved Aug. 19 by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey."

AAA to feds: Stop NY-NJ bridge, tunnel toll hike - WSJ.com

$12 to cross a flippin' bridge?

"The Associated Press left a message for a port authority representative. Its board members have said the fare increases will pay for construction that is fueling the region's economy. It also says it needs more money to replace the cables on the George Washington Bridge, rehabilitate the corkscrew-shaped ramp into the Lincoln Tunnel and take on other maintenance projects. The authority receives no tax money and supports itself through tolls, fares, fees and rent paid by businesses at its ports, airports and other properties."

Yeah, but $12? And how does this relate to Obama's Job Infrastructure thing? If they're raising the toll money what are the rest of us taxpayers, who don't cross the bridge, paying for with our tax dollars in the Obama Jobs Act?
I see ferry traffic going way up. Yes, the ferry costs more than $12 but you don't have to worry about parking and traffic isn't a problem. I bet the revenue doesn't go up as much as they expect.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I see ferry traffic going way up. Yes, the ferry costs more than $12 but you don't have to worry about parking and traffic isn't a problem. I bet the revenue doesn't go up as much as they expect.
Which vehicular ferries go across the Hudson? Not everyone utilizing the GWB or the tunnels can opt for the SI ferry.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Cars already have black boxes.
Um, nope, none of ours have them.
Theres something to be said about driving vintage.
Attached Thumbnails
It Will Cost You Your First Born Son to Cross Our Bridge-tr7.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies