Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Bull****. Plenty of people on those threads found it a golden opportunity to bash law enforcement. Why don't we start threads everytime a cashier steals money from their store? Why don't we start a thread everytime some pencil pusher calls out "sick" but really just wants to go to the ballgame that day? Because you have nothing against cubicle drones or cashier's, but you seem to hate cops.

Cashiers don't kill people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 05:19 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Neither do the overwhelming majority of cops. Few of those that do are happy about having done so.

You're certainly entitled to your hate, whether or not the reasons for the hate are based in fact. Hope it keeps you warm at night.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You're exactly right...if you bid on the job,do the job....I've never bought into that firefighter/cop hero crap in the least...if you get paid to do it,cash the check and do what's required of you...otherwise,go home.
You sound like an ungrateful person. It sounds like you are saying that Police and Fire personnel should all be volunteer. Do you think that a person should never be thanked by their boss for doing anything because they are being paid? I get thanked all the time (in retail) by customers, and sometime given tips, for helping them find umpteen things all over the store, but I shouldn't be thanked because I am paid to do that? I know what you are saying, but we have enough selfish people all ready.

Charles Sands

Old 09-18-2011, 05:38 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Neither do the overwhelming majority of cops. Few of those that do are happy about having done so.

You're certainly entitled to your hate, whether or not the reasons for the hate are based in fact. Hope it keeps you warm at night.
Outbacknv:

I think the problem momonkey has is the gun. This person is probably one of those people who has the idea that everyone of a certain type is the same. Maybe they lost a relative or friend due to the actions of some Police Officers and they have issues. If that is the case, I wish them well.

Charles Sands

Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yeah neither do the overwhelming majority of police officers, and most of the time it's in the line of duty and justified. If you hate cops, cool, but if something ever happens I hope you feel good when you call the cashier from the local McDonalds to come to your rescue. Or the fisherman to come put out the fire in your house.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Bull****. Plenty of people on those threads found it a golden opportunity to bash law enforcement. Why don't we start threads everytime a cashier steals money from their store? Why don't we start a thread everytime some pencil pusher calls out "sick" but really just wants to go to the ballgame that day? Because you have nothing against cubicle drones or cashier's, but you seem to hate cops.
No, I hate bullies who abuse their power. Yes, let's call out politicians who abuse their power. Let's call out DAs who hide evidence. Let's call out CEOs who steal money.

The light of publicity is our best weapon to fight abuse of power.

I don't hate cops. I hate cops who abuse their power. And honest cops should also hate cops who abuse their power.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Yeah neither do the overwhelming majority of police officers, and most of the time it's in the line of duty and justified. If you hate cops, cool, but if something ever happens I hope you feel good when you call the cashier from the local McDonalds to come to your rescue. Or the fisherman to come put out the fire in your house.

I would rather call a cashier from McDonalds for help than a dirty cop.

So why do you want to protect dirty cops? Why do you want to hide cops abusing their power?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:21 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

So why do you want to protect dirty cops? Why do you want to hide cops abusing their power?
This thread was not about protecting dirty cops. I defy you to produce a single post where that was attempted.

The thread was about recognizing the efforts of good cops. Difficult as it may be for you to accept there are substantially more good cops than bad cops.

Why do you want to pervert the thread into yet another cop bashing thread?

In regard to your previous post cops that abuse their power are not popular among the vast majority of other cops. They make an already difficult job more difficult. Whether or not you choose to believe it the police do attempt to police their own.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:

I don't, however I feel as though many on here use the accountability angle to get across their thinly veiled anti-LEO agenda. I'm not talking about you specifically, just in general. As someone who works in law enforcement it's frustrating to say the least. I have no love for dirty cops but I hate how one dirty cop is used and extrapolated as general anti-cop propaganda.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
That's their JOB. Doing your job without committing a crime or abusing your power is NORMAL behavior for most people.
No ****. People should still be acclaimed for a job well done. Some careers have different job descriptions than others. Some people deserve praise for doing a job few others would ever think of doing.

Quote:
Are you saying it's so unusual for cops to do their job without abusing their power that we need to publicize that stellar performance?????
If an officer is doing a stellar job, well yes. I'd publicize an employee who had stellar performance.

Quote:
Maybe we should start a thread about milk men delivering the milk on time while at the same time NOT stealing from his customers.

Or the millions of other workers who do their job every day without committing a crime or abusing their power.... and they never get publicity. BECAUSE IT'S NORMAL BEHAVIOR.
You're attacking a strawman. No one is saying they need to be praised for not committing crimes. But, considering the extraordinary work they do every day, praise is just. Not everyone has to deal with the worst of society, every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Nothing hypocritical about it. Someone comnes in to steal my tv, they will find themself carried out in a body bag.
Some states specifically state that in order to use deadly force, one must be in fear of death or great bodily harm. Theft does not constitute such action.

And three rounds to the back don't lend credence to your story that he was coming at you with a knife. But it isn't me you have to convince, it's the jury you're sitting in front of while on trial for second degree murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies