Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,293,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Just think- If Al Gore was born earlier, he could be a billionaire by pulling off the Global Warming scam multiple times. Missed opportunities.

In general, most scientists say that the Earth formed somewhere in between—about 4.55 to 4.56 billion years ago.

Thermometers were invented between the 16th and 17th century.

Do we really have enough information to say we control global warming???????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 11:32 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Hate to burst your GW bubble but.........

Are the ice caps melting?

Um, on that big chart you posted I do see a general trend of decline from 2001 on, despite occasional spikes in the other direction

Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Sigh. If you want me to post that graph again, I'll post it. It shows the same thing as the pictures. Here you go. IJIS Web Site
Now explain how all years of the graph support the claim you made.

Quote:
I'll even use your favorite website to provide that evidence:
GISS Deletes Arctic And Southern Ocean Sea Surface Temperature Data | Watts Up With That?
So you link me an article about the GISS deleting its sea surface temp data? What is your point? Again... you need to explain your position and how the citations you provide support your claim. This is called arguing a position.

Quote:
Yes, you are arguing the concept of warmer oceans and melt. And I'm not sure what YOUR conclusion is about MY position. My position is simply one of scientific evidence. Yours seems to be one of denying its validity. Now I'm done with this petty argument. Sorry your own links proved you wrong. If you want to try with new ones, I'm sure we can prove you wrong again.
No, that is incorrect, I am asking for you to provide support for the claim that this is the direct cause of loss and that it is what will lead to an eventual ice less arctic.

There are many other aspects which effect ice melt. Soot is a common belief in some circles. Also, wind has a very strong effect on the ice as well. Current shifts of warm water also can cause this.

You however have not provided a support to your claim. If you are interested in the science, then my questions to you should provoke no defense from you as I am not making a conclusion one way or the other as to the prediction of the ice, that is your argument... one you have yet to properly support.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Um, on that big chart you posted I do see a general trend of decline from 2001 on, despite occasional spikes in the other direction
Except it was above average starting in the fall of 2008, coincidentally when Al Gore dropped out of the public spotlight....

Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
At the later end of a 30 year record, yes.. there is a slightly downward trend. It starts roughly around 2000, so the last 10 years of the record show that out of a 30 year record (with some spike recovery as others noted). Do you honestly think that is sufficient to come to a conclusion about anything?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Except it was above average starting in the fall of 2008, coincidentally when Al Gore dropped out of the public spotlight....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
At the later end of a 30 year record, yes.. there is a slightly downward trend. It starts roughly around 2000, so the last 10 years of the record show that out of a 30 year record (with some spike recovery as others noted). Do you honestly think that is sufficient to come to a conclusion about anything?
I just thought it funny that he or she posted that chart as it does not really support the point they were trying to make...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Lets look at ice cores dating back 400,000 years and see if mankind is at fault:

4.5 billion years??

http://westcoastword.wordpress.com/2...limate-change/

Hmmmmm

Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I just thought it funny that he or she posted that chart as it does not really support the point they were trying to make...
Eh, just showing you the error in your statement

Quote:
Um, on that big chart you posted I do see a general trend of decline from 2001 on
Using a 10 year span out of 4.5 BILLION years, even you with your superior intelligence has to admit it's ludicrous...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Why? For us modern humans everything before, say, a few hundred thousand years or maybe even just a few ten thousand years ago, is irrelevant because modern life is very much dependent on the climate and earth the way it has been for the past few thousand years... Any major change in any direction would be a problem in my view.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Why? For us modern humans everything before, say, a few hundred thousand years or maybe even just a few ten thousand years ago, is irrelevant because modern life is very much dependent on the climate and earth the way it has been for the past few thousand years... Any major change in any direction would be a problem in my view.
I understand completely, the cycles of the Universe have nothing to do with the warming and cooling cycles of the Earth

Mankind by 2011 understands all the secrets and mechanics of the Universe, gotcha

Last edited by plwhit; 09-19-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies