Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM

329 posts, read 267,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I don't suppose you've ever looked at the surfacestation controversy. See, the warmists like to cite these temperature claims based on surface area temperature stations that actually don't exist. Some vast expanses of land are completely devoid of any surface stations, which then begs the question of what exactly they are measuring if there is no station to take the temperature. In that case, they do a guestimate by padding the numbers (always on the side of warmer, of course).
Can you explain why the satellite measurements closely resemble the surface station measurements: Wood for Trees: Interactive Graphs

Perhaps you aren't aware that interpolation of anomalies over 1200km is robust? Pubs.GISS: Hansen and Lebedeff 1987: Global trends of measured surface air temperature

And of course, I'm sure that you can provide evidence of your guesstimate padding claim. But I won't wait up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They believe, great... I don't care what they believe, I care what they can establish through proper scientific means. Not only does that mean they should support the position of cooling oceans as they claim, BUT also support their position of the latter claims of a warming process.

If they can do neither, then... well... their "belief" is irrelevant.
As you probably know, the oceans are deeper than 700m, that means a plot showing ocean heat content down to only 700m does not tell the whole story.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Well, by golly, you've finally seen the light.

Climate modeling, which is where all the doomsday predictions come from as NONE of the empirical evidence supports the claim, is fraught with GIGO, assumptions and the tweaking and padding of numbers to suit the result desired.
All part of their desperate search for a "problem" with which to attempt to sell their "solution".

Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Well, by golly, you've finally seen the light.

Climate modeling, which is where all the doomsday predictions come from as NONE of the empirical evidence supports the claim, is fraught with GIGO, assumptions and the tweaking and padding of numbers to suit the result desired.
Nope.

You can run a model yourself if you like:
  • Can I use a climate model myself? Yes! There is a project called EdGCM which has a nice interface and works with Windows and lets you try out a large number of tests. ClimatePrediction.Net has a climate model that runs as a screensaver in a coordinated set of simulations. GISS ModelE is available as a download for Unix-based machines and can be run on a normal desktop. NCAR CCSM is the US community model and is well-documented and freely available.
RealClimate: FAQ on climate models

There is plenty of empirical evidence too:
Empirically observed fingerprints of anthropogenic global warming

Empirical evidence that humans are causing global warming

Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
Nope.

• Can I use a climate model myself? Yes! There is a project called EdGCM which has a nice interface and works with Windows and lets you try out a large number of tests. ClimatePrediction.Net has a climate model that runs as a screensaver in a coordinated set of simulations. GISS ModelE is available as a download for Unix-based machines and can be run on a normal desktop. NCAR CCSM is the US community model and is well-documented and freely available.

There is plenty of empirical evidence too:
Empirically observed fingerprints of anthropogenic global warming

Empirical evidence that humans are causing global warming
When the "data" that GW zealots utilize is reviewed why is it found to be flawed?

As I posted in an earlier chart the Earth over it's history has warmed up and cooled down, the GW crowd led by Al Gore has seized on this to make money plain and simple.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
It looks to me like this is a claim pulled from an activist site. Can you prove it?
Chapters and the number of sources that are not peer reviewed.

IPCC Report Card - the 2007 climate bible (AR4)

If you are going to argue the "not submitted to a journal, so still valid, but not peer reviewed" position. Here is the repeated statements by the IPCC concerning the reports information. That is, they claim all of their work is peer reviewed.

The 2007 IPCC report falls well short of its advertising

Now how many are simply pamphlets with absolutely no evidence? There are a few key ones to which led to several retractions of the claims.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
As you probably know, the oceans are deeper than 700m, that means a plot showing ocean heat content down to only 700m does not tell the whole story.
By all means, provide the data to which validates the position of such.

Otherwise, all you are doing is trying to suggest my reference is incorrect because it does not account for such. So, provide some information that properly supports your claim.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It's all explained on the GISTEMP website: Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis (GISTEMP)
with links to the papers describing the methods. Data.GISS: Surface Temperature Analysis: References
Why do you ask questions that a couple of seconds on Google would answer for you?
Yes, I am quite familiar with Hansen's work, his errors and odd methodology have been a discussion topic for years.

The problem with Hansen is that he doesn't like to release his data and methods, nor does GISS. Also, GISS is notorius for "adjusting" as the link here shows.

NASA GISS – Adjusting the Adjustments « Climate Audit

Add in the fact that their grid cell process favors warmer stations for visual transfer between lack of coverage sites and their unwillingness to actually provide their data to evaluate their adjustment methods... and well... you get the picture.

The reason I question is because your "linking" topics without understanding the full issues of your links shows you are disconnected with the actual topics and are merely cutting and pasting that which supports you. GISS is a major contention in the field right now and there are many errors and problems with the modeled data they provide.

I asked for you to provide the data, because there is no means to obtain it. They do not provide their methodology as you will notice if you read closely in those links. They claim they use Hansen's methods to adapt, but you will not be able to obtain what actually is happening in their model because it is refused. If you do not believe me, submit an FOIA to them asking for such and watch how they basically tell you to p-i-s-s off.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Nope.

Sorry, but RealClimate is part of the cabal, started by Gavin Schmidt and Hockey Stick Mann as propaganda outlet for their hoax.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Another;

The Whole World is Warming!;

Newspaper Article

The date? 1947.

Quote:
but scientists think the earth may be slowly moving away from the last ice age towards climatic conditions comparable with those of a million years ago, when the North Pole was a temperate region.
WHAT?? The NP was a temperate region? I wonder who/what was to blame then?

Whatever will the AGWarmists say about that?

Quote:
New Zealand glaciers have been receding, losing their thickness, since the first observations were made in the 60's of last century, and since 1934 they have been wasting at an 'abnormal' rate.
You mean they've been receding since the mid 1800's??

God, I do so LOVE these old articles. Aren't they great for showing what this cabal of fear mongering environ-whackos have tried to perpetrate on the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies