Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Because the costs of the program far exceed the share of payroll taxes paid into the system.
And do you know why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
And do you know why?
I don't think there's any single "right" answer to that.

One problem is that Congress never had the political will to raise the payroll taxes high enough to support Medicare.

A second problem is that Congress kept piling on new future obligations -- the Bush-era expansion of Medicare, for example, caused a big increase in the program's costs.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Good question Toyman. All I know is that any budget analysis I've ever seen more or less lumps Medicare and Medicaid together to make one figure as a percentage (20%~, depending on your source) of the entire federal budget. FYI; the White Houses' 2012 budget breakdown indicates that Medicaid and Children's Health Programs (CHP), together account for 7.28%, and Medicare for 12.86% of the fedral budget. I've seen other breakdowns that use bery similar percentages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Great, and accurate, post. Something does need to be done to reign in exploding Medicare costs. The big issue is that current Medicare reimbursement rates do not cover the cost of service.
Why do we always look at Medicare, which working people have paid into all their lives, as the first place to cut? Why don't we look at Medicaid, which is essentially unfunded by those that receive the benefits?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The republicans have tried countless times to defund and destroy medicare. This should be something to applaud

You might want to learn more about how the government works. The republican controlled house holds the checkbook and they can introduce cutting off funding at any time which they have not done. The right are too far in bed with the arms manufactures, plus they love warmongering and killing. Fat chance the right will do anything to end the wars and the insane spending that goes with it.

That is the motto of the GOP/tea party,...
I hate to disappoint you but I know exactly how government works. And Obama is choosing to spend money on wars and proposing Medicare cuts. He can stop spending money on wars any time he chooses. You don't need Congress to STOP spending.

Those are the facts.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Good. Medicare is too expensive, it needs to be cut severely.

I agree, but it cannot be cut instantly. Too many people have assumed the government will be good on it's promise of Medicare.

But, for younger people who have plenty of years to make alternative plans, it should be cut or eliminated.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But, for younger people who have plenty of years to make alternative plans, it should be cut or eliminated.
Oh, I get it.

Instead of having everyone share the sacrifice, you'd rather make the younger people pay for FULL medicare today, and then dissolve the program tomorrow.

Sounds like big government largesse for one generation, and small government austerity for another.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
There are no cuts in benefits to recipients of medicare. The cuts will be in the payments to medicare providers for services rendered. So guess what medical providers will do with medicare patients. Ask a senior how hard it NOW to find a medical provider that accepts Medicare.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
I hate to disappoint you but I know exactly how government works. And Obama is choosing to spend money on wars and proposing Medicare cuts. He can stop spending money on wars any time he chooses. You don't need Congress to STOP spending.

Those are the facts.
So you're a right winger complaining that Obama is acting like a right winger?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
$248 billion in cuts for people who have worked all their lives and new wish to enjoy retirement.

Yes, it's hidden in his "tax the successful" proposal to raise taxes.

Meanwhile, he continues to spend billions on several wars with no end in sight.

Spend on wars... screw retirees.... what a great election campaign.

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_DEFICITS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DE FAULT&CTIME=2011-09-18-23-33-29 - broken link)
People need to share the burden. My company healthcare costs have gone up and up and up....why should medicare get a complete pass?

I agree about the cost of the wars.

Pretty much this is exactly what I expected from Obama (R) and I actually support the steps he is taking here.

The REAL fiscal conservatives will support actions like this, the party line types will scream bloody murder for political gain.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There are no cuts in benefits to recipients of medicare. The cuts will be in the payments to medicare providers for services rendered. So guess what medical providers will do with medicare patients. Ask a senior how hard it NOW to find a medical provider that accepts Medicare.
^^^Yep. This is a great way to push off the blame. Look forward to some PR attacks on the "greedy corporations" that won't take medicare patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies