Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does the US Government collect taxes from someone residing in Canada?
Easily. All U.S. citizens, regardless of where they're living are REQUIRED BY U.S. LAW to file an IRS report.

Big issue up here right now with our Federal Finance Minister Flaherty issuing a statement to U.S. press that The U.S. going after U.S. dual citizenship holders who've lived in Canada in some cases for over 30 years for not filing an IRS report and FINING them is not the correct way to repair a failed economy.

These folks are for all intents and purposes Canadian citizens who've worked and lived in Canada deriving no income from the U.S. but are still obligated to file regardless.

I have no problem believing a tycoon moving income out of the U.S. would have his assets frozen and further, attached, regardless of where he was moving to unless no legal reciprocity agreements were in place with the nation of acceptance. Desperation breeds contempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Easily. All U.S. citizens, regardless of where they're living are REQUIRED BY U.S. LAW to file an IRS report.

which is BULL CRAP

if I have MOVED and NOW reside in a different area (state or country) then I should NOT be paying to that PREVIOUS area

Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
But filing a return and paying a tax is 2 different things. If you are paying a tax to Canada, then you arent subject to paying the tax to the US Government.

[LEFT]The tax law provides a credit for the amount of income tax a taxpayer pays to a foreign jurisdiction. The credit reduces the U.S. tax liability by the amount of foreign tax paid on foreign earned income included on the U.S. tax return. Foreign income tax paid on unearned income, such as interest, isn't subject to any credit limitations.

Read more: Do I Need to File Taxes If I Live Out of the Country? | eHow.com Do I Need to File Taxes If I Live Out of the Country? | eHow.com

Furthermore, wealth isnt taxed, income is, which again brings up the question, if the top 10% and I take my wealth to another country, does this mean they should pay zero?[/LEFT]
Quote:
I have no problem believing a tycoon moving income out of the U.S. would have his assets frozen and further, attached, regardless of where he was moving to unless no legal reciprocity agreements were in place with the nation of acceptance. Desperation breeds contempt.
There is a name for that, its called communism. If you dont like the free market system, maybe you shouldnt live in a free market society.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM

545 posts, read 400,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
He makes a good point, hn. Why shouldn't people with the most wealth spend the most money defending that wealth?
liberals have been using this faulty, stunted, backwards logic for years...that the wealthy have more, therefore should pay more....for the same services...

so I guess if an all out invasion was to occur the the military should give priority to the wealthy over anyone else?.....that if, God Forbid, another 9/11 was to happen we should get the wealthy out of the city first because that is where all the wealth is?

I have heard that argument for years....that the wealthy have more to lose therefore they should pay for all the bills....so you people want the same protection we get from our armed serviceman but feel the guy who drives the nicer car should pay not just more, but your share of the cost also...why?...because he drives a nicer car...

if your house is on fire, you dial 9-11, just like a rich person...but somehow you feel as if his bill for the 9-11 service should be higher simply because his house is better then yours.

wealth envy is when you feel as if someone who has more then you don't deserve it and you want to knock them down...but when it starts that you not only want to knock them down, but also pay for your bills..."yeah that CEO should not be making so much money, he should also pay a few of my bills too"....hell , I am not too sure what that is..

Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
if your house is on fire, you dial 9-11, just like a rich person...but somehow you feel as if his bill for the 9-11 service should be higher simply because his house is better then yours.
And if this poster and a "rich" person both happen to dial 911 at the same time, should the 911 operator check and see who's got more money, to decide what house the police should go to? We're told non stop that healthcare shouldnt depend on someones wealth, but now all of a sudden police protection should be? These people never stop to provide me with humor.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:

wealth envy is when you feel as if someone who has more then you don't deserve it and you want to knock them down...but when it starts that you not only want to knock them down, but also pay for your bills..."yeah that CEO should not be making so much money, he should also pay a few of my bills too"....hell , I am not too sure what that is..
nah. some of us geniunely believe that the rich do not pay their fair share. our tax code penalizes people who are high earners, rather than people who have a high net worth.

i do realize, though, that understanding this involves the analysis of data... and that americans are completely innumerate and will pretty much believe any half-baked analysis they read.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
nah. some of us geniunely believe that the rich do not pay their fair share.

our tax code penalizes people who are high earners, rather than people who have a high net worth.
that's why we should not tax income...especially since a majority of income is never reported

tax spending instead...a consumption tax

www.fairtax,org

Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
It's what the American people want, right? I guess Michelle Bachman will vote for it. Remember, she said their job isn't to lead, its to do what the voters want.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
that's why we should not tax income...especially since a majority of income is never reported

tax spending instead...a consumption tax

www.fairtax,org
Fair tax unfairly causes the tax rate to increase on the middle and lower classes. If you spend 80% of your income just to make ends meet, then you pay taxes on 89% of your income. Where someone making 300000 a year can live awesomely on 150000 and they are only paying taxes on 50% of their income.

If you add rebates and exemptions then they'll only be manipulated by lobbyists and lawmakers to let corporations and top end Americans skip out on the bill again.

Flat tax, no exemptions. Everyone, every dollar over 30,000 a year is taxed at the same rate, despite who you are, what you earn, no rebates or exemptions. If a new program, war, etc is passed by congress, tell us how much our taxes will go up to pay for it. Makes voters think before blindly supporting government crap since they don't have to pay for it

Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
liberals have been using this faulty, stunted, backwards logic for years...that the wealthy have more, therefore should pay more....for the same services...

so I guess if an all out invasion was to occur the the military should give priority to the wealthy over anyone else?.....that if, God Forbid, another 9/11 was to happen we should get the wealthy out of the city first because that is where all the wealth is?

I have heard that argument for years....that the wealthy have more to lose therefore they should pay for all the bills....so you people want the same protection we get from our armed serviceman but feel the guy who drives the nicer car should pay not just more, but your share of the cost also...why?...because he drives a nicer car...

This has zero to do with envy, Eric. I drive a nice car and bear absolutely no ill will towards those who drive nicer ones. Conservative assertions that every liberal is classist are as stupid and baseless as liberal assertions that every conservative is a racist. Think what you want; I really don't care.

About the topic at hand, wealthy people benefit the most from the armed forces. Wars are fought to protect acquired wealth or to obtain new wealth. That being the case, it just makes sense to me that those with 90 percent of the wealth should be paying the lion's share of the costs to defend it.

You broadened the topic beyond defense to include "services." I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies