Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

I see that the top 10% control 90% of the money so let them pay for protecting that money. Most of us are working for a living and most of them are working to make ever more money. They don't have to make a living because that is guaranteed because they are already wealthy. Tax the rich and tax them a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I see that the top 10% control 90% of the money so let them pay for protecting that money. Most of us are working for a living and most of them are working to make ever more money. They don't have to make a living because that is guaranteed because they are already wealthy. Tax the rich and tax them a lot.
Yeah because we all know the working class get no benefits out of being an american and thus shouldnt pay anything.

Thank you for showing how greedy, self centered, half assed backwards, some americans think. Rarely is it on such public display

Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM

545 posts, read 400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Simply put, if an american (who is living in the U.S.) were to change his citizenship from the U.S. to the U.K solely based on lower taxes then he would be an idiot, as the taxes in the U.K. are actually higher. Do you need a cite for that. You can't make a policy that would have any meaningful effect on idiots as they do not behave rationally. If someone wants to move to another country because they don't like Bush or Obama or Truman, fine there is little that you can do about that. I am sure a lot of people will consider moving to Canada if we get another republican president.

However, none of this has anything to do with the fact that there are few other places to go to pay lower taxes than we have in the U.S. So anyone wanting to leave for that reason is simply not rational. And saying that they want to leave because of Class warfare obama is trying to create is sheer talking points non-sense. If you really want to see class system, move to Europe. These are just scare tactics with no basis in reality.

that's it?...that is all you have to go on is.....denial?....I like how you cherry picked the U.K. thing and pretty much ignored just everything else I said...I am not going to argue that....and yes earlier, if you can recall, I said "wealthy people were leaving France over taxes"...so yeah I am aware of the class warfare there..but according to you, its not "rational" and they should have stayed put for they had nowhere else to go, besides, it was just a few of them, no big deal.. ..that is for another thread...you can have that one.

people have left America over Taxes....you denying it based on nothing but what you "feel" isn't gong to change that....the history of this is there...I posted a links showing people have left and the numbers jumped rapidly...

your response is to deflect and deny..."its not rational".....sorry, doesn't change the fact that they have left for that reason.....Reagen cut taxes no one left, Clinton raised them and hundreds left, thousands more were considering it...

"In 1993, the first year of Clinton's "soak the rich" presidency, 306 individuals officially and legally renounced their American citizenship and moved to financially less restrictive locations such as Ireland, Switzerland and the Caribbean. And thousands more Americans have been speaking with lawyers quite seriously about this very topic.

that may not make much sense to "you"....but that is what happened...to say otherwise "just because" doesn't change that...sorry..

some, like Buffet, can hold on to their investments for years even decades and not pay any tax at all..that's why he doesn't mind raising the tax rate....that is why a 1.5 trillion dollar "projection" is unrealistic when the ones who supposed to raise that money have too many ways to avoid it...but if it makes you "feel good"...then hey, have at it..and when you end up with less revenue ...it will be another "untended consequence"..

Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
people have left America over Taxes....you denying it based on nothing but what you "feel" isn't gong to change that
These very people sit here all day moaning and groaning about how businesses have left america for other countries, and in the next thread, they pretend like it doesnt happen. They cant even keep their own position straight from one thread to another.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
My question about your claim that Buffett shields himself from taxation.
I'm sure he does shield himself, and has an army of tax consultants to reduce his tax liability to as small an amount as possible. His company owes the IRS around $1B, in back taxes from 2002-2010, and he has been fighting it in court for the past 8 years.

Buffett chooses to pay himself millions a year in stock options, and only pays himself around a $100k salary a year, to keep his tax liability as small as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Not anyone, just

a) hedge fund managers
b) people who are paid in stock options
c) people who inherit money.

I said they don't pay wage taxes. Key word is wage.
There is something to be said about people who earn a living and produce - nothing. The people who are paid in stock as a way to pay them for the work they do is a problem with me. The people who inherit money, and living off their investments, I have no problem with that. I'd rather they worked, but they are not my problem.

I would rather everyone was a working person, and not a spoiled, layabout, trust fund baby, but that is the way life can be for some. Even the money from a spoiled rich kid who lives off stock dividends, or interest from savings, is still money that is working for the economy. Either that money is invested in a company, giving them capital to expand and operate, or its in a savings account, which allows other people and businesses to borrow and grow.

Last edited by Wapasha; 09-22-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 AM

545 posts, read 400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These very people sit here all day moaning and groaning about how businesses have left America for other countries, and in the next thread, they pretend like it doesn't happen. They cant even keep their own position straight from one thread to another.

its bizarre....I read one article that listed about 12 wealthy people who have relocated overseas and how America lost billions, not in just tax revenue but overall wealth...

I recommended taking a deeper look into it...its shocking what you will find...there is a reason why 51% pay no income taxes....people with money, with the connections and means aren't going to stand around and get pillaged..

"lets just raise taxes on the rich"....why the hell do they think they are just going to stand there and pay it and not avoid it?...especially when they have the power to do the latter?

but of course when there are no Jobs or even investment capital, they are going to stand around and wonder "what happened?"

Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
its bizarre....I read one article that listed about 12 wealthy people who have relocated overseas and how America lost billions, not in just tax revenue but overall wealth...

I recommended taking a deeper look into it...its shocking what you will find...there is a reason why 51% pay no income taxes....people with money, with the connections and means aren't going to stand around and get pillaged..

"lets just raise taxes on the rich"....why the hell do they think they are just going to stand there and pay it and not avoid it?...especially when they have the power to do the latter?

but of course when there are no Jobs or even investment capital, they are going to stand around and wonder "what happened?"
There is also hundreds of billions, and by some estimates, trillions, sitting overseas waiting to return to the USA to be invested by the owners, but its being held back by the extremely high reunification tax the USA charges.

These people have no dam clue about how tax codes affect them because its not direct. Its pretty sad.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These very people sit here all day moaning and groaning about how businesses have left america for other countries, and in the next thread, they pretend like it doesnt happen. They cant even keep their own position straight from one thread to another.
Libs cannot look beyond their own noses, they refuse to take in the greater picture and the cause and effect of the things they want government to do. They think we will just raise taxes thru the roof on the rich, and they have soooo much money, they will just shrug it off, pay the huge taxes, and continue as usual.

If we allow our government to waste our tax money, spend, spend and spend, and do nothing to curb the excessive and wasteful spending, and simply let them raise taxes, people will react. Some of the wealthy can simply move their money out of the reach of the US government. They will simply cash in their chips, sell off their holdings, and retire.

Other rich people may find that it just isn't worth going thru the hassle of running a business in America, with the increased taxes and regulation under 0bama. They may decide that it is no longer possible to stay in business, and call it quits as well.

It's so odd, that 0bama is publicly hostile to the one sector of America that has the capability to move this country out of this economic recession. It's not as if 0bam needs their money, lord knows he has already spent over $4 trillion dollars of money we don't have, and is hell bent on spending another $4 trillion.

Its not as if 0bama even needs money from the wealthy, he borrows and prints money with an ease and ferocity the history of mankind has never witnessed before. So why is he going after the wealthy like this, unless its a personal crusade of vengance, or maybe he really is trying to tear apart our economy and bring it all crashing down?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
The bottom line is that taxes are the dues that we pay to live in the country that we do. The wealthy in the U.S. get tremendous benefits, including police and legal protection. The wealthy in other nations must travel in bullet proof vehicles. Thus, there is no great risk that wealthy people will leave for other lands. I don't seem to remember droves of rich people leaving America under those oppressive 50% tax-rates under Reagan.

To make all kinds of convoluted arguments for why the wealthy should receive preferential tax treatment is ludicrous -- especially since tax-rates for the wealthy was much higher prior to 2001 and the rich didn't abandon the U.S. They just -- dare I say it -- paid the higher tax.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The bottom line is that taxes are the dues that we pay to live in the country that we do. The wealthy in the U.S. get tremendous benefits, including police and legal protection. The wealthy in other nations must travel in bullet proof vehicles. Thus, there is no great risk that wealthy people will leave for other lands.
The wealthy do not get anything over and above the res of us in regards to police and legal protection. These people spend hundreds of thousands if not millions a year for their own protection. For gods sakes give it a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
To make all kinds of convoluted arguments for why the wealthy should receive preferential tax treatment is ludicrous -- especially since tax -rates for the wealthy was much higher prior to 2001 and the rich didn't abandon the U.S. They just -- dare I say it -- paid the higher tax.
No one is suggesting they get preferential treatment. Do you not know the difference between saying they shouldnt be penalized, and getting special treatment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies