U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times

Advertisements

Corporate Jets Face Flight Fee in Obama Plan - Bloomberg

Since Buffett's company owns NetJet, the leader in fractional jet ownership, do you think he supports this new fee? $100 per flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,946,004 times
I'm thinking this will not get passed. based on the vested interests of the many aviation companies.

Perhaps we should charge a $100 fee for firing a cruise missile or for each drone flight....
What do you suppose a satellite launch should pay?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM

741 posts, read 746,028 times
I kind of doubt this industry is very price sensitive. You really think that people who do private charters will go back to commercial flights over $100/flight?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,695,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I kind of doubt this industry is very price sensitive. You really think that people who do private charters will go back to commercial flights over $100/flight?

thats the change that fell behind the seat to a billionaire

i say bang them on the big mega yachts,, one dollar a mile gas tax,, for wasting fuel, that should shorten a few yacht trips..

Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM

12 posts, read 5,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Corporate Jets Face Flight Fee in Obama Plan - Bloomberg

Since Buffett's company owns NetJet, the leader in fractional jet ownership, do you think he supports this new fee? $100 per flight.
NetJets' flights clock in around $5000/hr with fuel fees and the rest. This new fee is a rounding error on a rounding error for these people.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 PM

117 posts, read 132,617 times
I don't think its even on Buffets radar. LOL, like a $100 is gonna make or break these customers.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,180,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
thats the change that fell behind the seat to a billionaire

i say bang them on the big mega yachts,, one dollar a mile gas tax,, for wasting fuel, that should shorten a few yacht trips..
Soak the rich schemes always backfire. Remember George Mitchell's luxury tax in the early 1990's? It cratered the boat-building industry in the maritime northeast. That really did wonders for those businesses and their employees. But at least George and his fellow Dems felt good about socking it to the wealthy. And, at the end of the day, isn't that all that matters?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,656,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
I don't think its even on Buffets radar. LOL, like a $100 is gonna make or break these customers.

Then consumers that cry over $50 "bag fees" should keep quiet. Fifty bucks is "tip money" at a resturant during a $2000 vacation.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,192,998 times
It's important to note that this would only apply to turbine (jet) powered aircraft. The vast majority of members of AOPA/EAA, which the article references, would not be affected by this, which is good. $100 would be a significant cost just to go do some joyriding in a Skyhawk or something.

Also, tons of flights are just empty reposition legs. I'm sure the operators won't be happy paying it for those legs, although at the end of the day, it's passed along to the customer one way or another. Even the cheapest turbine powered aircraft, something like a small old Learjet, is going to start in the neighborhood of $2,000/hr. $100 doesn't seem like a big deal.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,406,538 times
From the article:

Quote:
An airline flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco would generate $1,300 to $2,000 in taxes, depending on the number of passengers and what they paid for tickets. A private jet, which requires almost the same services from air-traffic controllers, would pay about $60 in fuel taxes, the plan said.
The only reason they would require the same services is because the government DEMANDS they require the same services. All airspace above 18,000 feet is CLASS A, which requires you to be on an IFR flight plan, meaning you are being routed by air traffic controllers. Do away with CLASS A airspace and let planes and pilots have the option of navigating for theirselves. When I fly my non-jet aircraft I fly at 10,000 to 12,000 and use my own GPS to go where I want to go. If the Obama administration was really interested in lowering the burden on the air traffic control system then he should do away with CLASS A airspace, but that is not what this is all about. It is about raising taxes and 'the rich' are always the first target. Those new taxes will eventually trickle down to all of us though because the last thing Obama ever wants to do is cut the size of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies