Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
...and for all the morans who love screaming "MY TAX DOLLARS!!" You do realize that it's gonna cost more money to add extra regulations to the EBT system do you??
I'm pretty sure filling boxes with soylent green can't be that expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Microwave meal cost $10.00

Cost of somewhat similar ingredients $10.00

Stove top cooking...45-90 minutes

Microwave....10-20 minutes

Not to defend the obviously poor nutrition choices, but when you have to pay for the electric power....

Lazy slobs on welfare got electricity for free too.

Office of Community Services - Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) Program (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/ - broken link)

Besides, how they gonna charge up their free welfare phone if they don't have free electricity?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Lazy slobs on welfare got electricity for free too.

Office of Community Services - Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) Program (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/ - broken link)

Besides, how they gonna charge up their free welfare phone if they don't have free electricity?

Landlines come with their own free electricity, so if the power goes out, your phone still works, welfare electricity or no.

LIHEAP is a joke, I lived in a house with five people where nobody had an income above poverty level, and our income was too high for LIHEAP.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
wrong.

the card is loaded with a certain amount of money. they are allowed to spend the amount they receive on what they want.

you as a tax payer arn't paying anything towards it anyways, even though you pretend you do.

again. cashier just needs to focus on the job, and not put his/her nose where it doesn't belong.

if you want to be the food police, we can have them call you in when anyone uses a EBT card so you can monitor what they buy.
Um, so that money is coming off trees?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
not from you.
Anyone who is paying taxes (and not getting it all plus some back in the for of the EIC) is funding entitlement programs. Some of us more than others. I paid in the mid five figure range in taxes last year, are you telling me none of it went towards these programs?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What would you do if you had a hot plate and no stove top and no counter top?
And a pan? I'd cook some vegetables in it. Or I'd boil eggs. Or make soup. A hot plate was my stove for ten years.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's a chicken and egg thing. Ripoff stores that depend on EBT have such high prices on everything that any produce they do get won't sell, which naturally leads these stores to not sell it.
Produce doesn't sell because people would rather eat chips. Produce has to be expensive when a store doesn't sell enough to buy it in large volumes, and when a high percent of what they do offer ends up spoiling.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
They already do. Trust me, there's nothing more annoying than when you're out of dish soap or tampons and you have no money but you have $50 of EBT. And it's not like you can trade it cause it's 1) illegal 2) even if you don't care you only get 50 cents on the dollar 3) most of the time people turn down the offer cause they assume you're going to go buy booze with it.

I wish EBT accepted things like Dawn soap and tampons cause there were lots of times I had to come up with "alternative methods" since EBT only cover food.

I think people who don't actually use EBT shouldn't be talking about what EBT users should be allowed or not allowed.
As long as my taxes are paying for someone to put food in their mouth, oh yes they should. Like I said, food stamps should be like WIC, Each voucher is good for "X" pounds/ounces of eggs/milk/cheese butter or "X" pounds of poultry or "X" ounces of 100% juice or "X" pounds of rice, couscous, pasta, etc.

Quote:
Like I said earlier, if you want EBT users to eat healthier, make healthy food as accessible and convenient as junk food. The reason EBT users buy junk is cause junk food is down the street at the liquor store. Healthy food is often much more of a hassle. Many minimum wage workers who work 12-hour shifts but still qualify don't have time to cook and clean up every night. Many disabled people qualify and cannot physically cook or do not have the mobility to get all the way to the grocery store, especially in rural areas with poor public transportation and unreliable Paratransit.
I am self-employed and put in 60 hours a week--sometimes more, yet I still cook the majority of my meals. I make double and triple servings and put leftovers into single serving size containers that make for an easy to grab lunch or dinner later that week. I boil a half dozen eggs on Sunday and eat a hard boiled egg and piece of fruit or even dried fruit for breakfast for the rest of the week--easy to eat on the run.

And for the record, if you are having a hard time getting paratransit service, call the FTA and complain. That service is 100% funded by TAXPAYERS via the Federal government, and the FTA wants to know if it's not working in your community. I know this for a FACT.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
you have no right.

end of story.
Anyone who is a taxpaying citizen in the US absolutely has the right to criticize how our government spends money. It's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Sure you do. But you don't have the right to make erroneous assumptions about an entire group of people and criticize them for living the way they do when you're not in their situation.
I don't criticize someone for the circumstances that led them to be on food stamps. (Generally speaking)

I do criticize how those people spend the tax dollars given to them as part of a program that was developed back in the 1960's to SUPPLEMENT the food budgets of lower income people so they could buy NUTRITIOUS food. It was never meant to be 100% of a food budget and never meant to buy anything but nutritious foods that lower income individuals had a hard time affording without the assistance.

There is no rule that states that 100% of the entitlement has to be used every month. To use the entitlement paid for by taxpayers to buy non-nutritious and non-essential foods "because one can" is simply a shameful waste of taxpayer money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies