Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Cherries, of course not, but they are allowed and nutritious, so I'm not sure why you include them in the same sentence. Pre-cooked chicken, yes, if the grocery stores can sell premade food to people paying with food stamps, it will open the door for places like McDonalds to accept food stamps.
McDonald's is already accepted on EBT in some states. That door has already been opened.

Quote:
Sure it does, freezing meats and vegetables generally doesn't kill nutrients.
I never said freezing food kills nutrients. I think frozen healthy meals would be a great idea. They can be made cheap, last a long time, and are easy to stock next to all the ice cream and Toastinoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 AM

8,039 posts, read 10,631,014 times
Poor choice of diet is not restricted to the poor in this country, by any means.

The theory is that those on food stamps should not have to feel "stigmatized" and unable to purchase junk food like everyone else just because they are on assistance. This is under the presumption that generational food stamp receivers feel any shame what so ever that they are being given something for free that other people have to work for in order to provide.

And besides, they need to prepare convenience foods in order to free up that extra time necessary for car detailing.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,589,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This is news to me, I've never gone to a food bank but perhaps I should go there and try to score some fresh produce.

Earlier this week I got 10 ears of corn for $2, but that's seasonal and it will be a long time before I see that price again.
wow, they are 2.20 a piece here at kroger PLUS state food tax is 9.5%!!!!

States shld not be allowed to tax food at that rate, even NY only charges 8% and that for "luxury" items, not bread and milk......so I have no prob. with starving people needing EBT. 9.5% is INSANE even if you make 6 figures. I dont see where the state uses that money either, as theres little to no infrastructure.

Maybe it pays for Senator Corkers 10 cars.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Poor choice of diet is not restricted to the poor in this country, by any means.

The theory is that those on food stamps should not have to feel "stigmatized" and unable to purchase junk food like everyone else just because they are on assistance. This is under the presumption that generational food stamp receivers feel any shame what so ever that they are being given something for free that other people have to work for in order to provide.

And besides, they need to prepare convenience foods in order to free up that extra time necessary for car detailing.
So they should be able to buy junk food to "feel good" about themselves ?
In case you missed the headlines, we have an obesity problem in America among the poor.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow, they are 2.20 a piece here at kroger PLUS state food tax is 9.5%!!!!

States shld not be allowed to tax food at that rate, even NY only charges 8% and that for "luxury" items, not bread and milk......so I have no prob. with starving people needing EBT. 9.5% is INSANE even if you make 6 figures. I dont see where the state uses that money either, as theres little to no infrastructure.

Maybe it pays for Senator Corkers 10 cars.
Texas does not charge tax for food.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusslives View Post
Really?! I pay $5-7/lb for boneless chicken breasts and I live in an area that is typically priced way lower than the rest of the country.
People who buy "boneless chicken breasts" are throwing their money away.

Legs and thighs are infinitely less expensive, taste better and have more nutrient value.

At the very least, if you simply MUST have breasts, you "can" debone them yourself, you know, and save $1.00 a pound or more.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
People who buy "boneless chicken breasts" are throwing their money away.

Legs and thighs are infinitely less expensive, taste better and have more nutrient value.

At the very least, if you simply MUST have breasts, you "can" debone them yourself, you know, and save $1.00 a pound or more.

20yrsinBranson
"Tastes better" is subjective.

I don't care for the darker meat on legs and thighs, and it's got a higher fat content--therefore worse nutritional value.

I buy boneless, but then again I'm not buying my food with taxpayer dollars, so how I allocate my grocery budget is my business.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Landlines come with their own free electricity, so if the power goes out, your phone still works, welfare electricity or no.

LIHEAP is a joke, I lived in a house with five people where nobody had an income above poverty level, and our income was too high for LIHEAP.
well if a person lives on long island or NYC their electric bills are prolly 800 per month in winter so I wldnt begrudge them that...In 1997 our heat bills were over 600 for a small house NOT COUNTING oil burner...how do they expect low income to afford a small house?

The energy costs are through the roof.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Thank you for the Publix info -- as you can tell, we don't have them here. My folks are in FL, but when I visit them I don't head to Publix. What I did note is that the area the other poster posted about Publix shoppers with the high end cars -- is that it only has something of a 4% poverty rate (not sure how up-to-date that was) which would tell me that anyone who is using the EBT, buying healthy, organic food, and driving a nice car (note the poster didn't say they were all new) might be newly poor. With foreclosures and a depressed economy anything's possible. If any of them are scamming the system, I do take issue with that.

Thank you for sharing your friend's story. There's often more than meets the eye in public.
I know the area Davie is talking about. It's an area which seems to attract a demographic that lives just at the brink of it's financial ability. As well, there are a fair number of people from a directly neighboring area with a lot of illegals and multiple families sharing a single housing unit who likely shop in the store he worked in.

I have no doubt that a number of people using EBT in that store have either made really foolish financial decisions which were enabled by foolish lending practices (homes and cars alike) or are committing fraud by lying about the actual composition of their household. It seems like once a year or so they round up a number of people for benefits fraud, and they often come out of that neighboring area.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you are a cashier, working the register -- which typically means one's back is toward the windows between the store and the parking lot -- how were you able to see what they drove off in? Did you have enough free time between customers that you could look out the window and visually follow them to their cars?

I know plenty of people who have money and who have nice cars. If something happened to them tomorrow and they needed a social program, they would still own their nice car. Is there a law that say if a person becomes eligible for food stamps that he or she must give up their car?
exactly. Why are cashiers worried about someones vehicle??? Carry out service at Publix in FL is usually the bag man (whatever they call it) not the cashier. The OP is in florida ,so she obviously has alot of spare time to critique every customer buying food at the store and observing what they drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies