Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,281,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
THIS IS THE ISSUE WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE THREADS!!! Every. single. time this topic rears its ugly head (it's amazing how often it does so on this forum), people go on and on and on about all the people who abuse the program, who buy nothing but lobsters and high ends cuts of meat, 4 tier wedding cakes, booze, etc, and then drive off in their Escalade/Benz/Ferrari and goes home to the fancy Section 8 apartment they don't pay a red penny in rent for. Exaggerations and lies for the most part.
Exactly. I grew up in the South Bronx, a very low-income area with a high amount of people on Gov't programs, and the majority of the FS users that I knew were not ballin outta control like a lot of these posters are claiming. The only people who pushed nice whips in the hood were drug dealers, business owners (liquor stores, laundromats, barbershops) or preachers. Most FS users live very modestly...you know, like 10 people in a 3 bedroom apt. I think Food Stamps starting getting a negative rep when MTV aired Ole Dirty Bastard (RIP) from the Wu-Tang Clan picking up Food Stamps from his limo back in the 90s. From then on people ASS-U-ME that is how the majority of people on Welfare are living. I guess this is what happens when you believe everything you see on TV smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,464,305 times
I saw illegal mexicans using food stamps to contribute to Obama's campaign. I'm not lying.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,281,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I saw illegal mexicans using food stamps to contribute to Obama's campaign. I'm not lying.
That ain't nothing. I bet $1 million Food Stamps on the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight and won all of that back and then some. Now I'm thinking about buying a Camaro SS

Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,434,686 times
I bought my computer with food stamps. Did you know Apple now accepts EBT? That's why it's called..."Apple".

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM

838 posts, read 920,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Why do a lot of you people on food stamps have to spend every penny on junk food? As a cashier, I only see people with EBT buying complete junk... frozen pizzas, gushers and fruit by the foot, candy, ramen noodles, chips, sodas... And not one single vegetable item, no foods that need preparation other than a microwave or boiling water. Even the meats are already prepared and frozen, like Tyson chicken fingers. Is it that hard to just make food? It is cheaper to get veggies and fruits and raw meats anyway. You waste our tax payers dollars on complete junk, because to you, it tastes good and it's free. Lazy and greedy people is what is ruining America.
This is so sad, and these people are not going to have long lives, very unfair to the kids and teens. They are walking diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease and every other degenerative disease. Even frozen processed vegetables have very little nutrition left. We were meant to eat food as it grows out of the ground. Cooked vegetables and fruits have no enzymes, only raw do. If you juice them they must be drinking in a few minutes or the enzymes are destroyed. I'm conservative but this is one area where it seems the federal government should teach about what good nutrition is in schools, since so many today haven't a clue. I'm surprised people on welfare can afford processed junk food.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
This is so sad, and these people are not going to have long lives, very unfair to the kids and teens. They are walking diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease and every other degenerative disease. Even frozen processed vegetables have very little nutrition left. We were meant to eat food as it grows out of the ground. Cooked vegetables and fruits have no enzymes, only raw do. If you juice them they must be drinking in a few minutes or the enzymes are destroyed. I'm conservative but this is one area where it seems the federal government should teach about what good nutrition is in schools, since so many today haven't a clue. I'm surprised people on welfare can afford processed junk food.
Generally, people eat what they see on TV. Except on the internet. There you will get posters who eat nothing but 9 grain dirt bread and brown rice with a touch of fresh green veggies every night. They sometimes drop dead at 47 while exercising just like Ewuell Gibbons did.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 PM

838 posts, read 920,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Okay people criticizing me for having a cashiering job... I am paying my way through school. If I could qualify for EBT I would ONLY buy foods that would benefit me. And that is only if I were on the verge of needing a student loan. I am trying my hardest as a human being to make my life and others better. I am going to school for psychology so that I can counsel people and help them through difficult times and treat their disorders. I am sorry if my job includes watching my country destroy itself by providing nothing but junk to its "less fortunate," but I am still a cashier because I cannot take on anything harder while I am taking five classes a semester to get my degree trying not to have to take out student loans. I am poor as well. My mother does not have a job, but she would never ever apply for EBT. My father who walked out on us pays for back child support and that is what my mother lives on, with my two little brothers needing to be fed as well. She would never increase the problems and debt of our country by asking for something she didn't work for. And by the way, she did work for that back child support. Being a mother is a full time job, especially when you are working and have no husband and your ex husband is not paying his child support. The point is that I am also "less fortunate" but I try, and all of those other people do not. They sit in their little electric carts and point to the disgusting foods that their fifty children have to pick up for them because they have not gotten as fat as mom yet. It is disgusting that it has gotten so bad that we can have a thread like this where people defend the fat lazy pigs who do nothing. I am not criticizing those who have a few items of junk in their carts. I am criticizing those who have ONLY junk in their carts. If you are on EBT and find that offensive then you are unreasonable. EBT was not created for people to buy junk. It even says on one website that it is was "designed to help low-income families and individuals buy the food they need for good health. The SNAP (Food Stamp) program now helps put nutritious food on the tables of 28 million people every month." Notice GOOD HEALTH and NUTRITIOUS FOOD. Also notice 28 MILLION. 28 MILLION people are fed every month on food stamps. The average food stamp benefits were $227 per household. That is more than one of my weekly paychecks! And many of them spend that on junk food? While I am working 35 hours a week for that kind of money, they spend it all on junk food. And you people have a problem with me. I who am working my butt off to get my degree and make the world a better place, is getting criticized because I do not agree with people being allowed to spend one of my paychecks on junk food ever month.
Some are taking what you point out personally, there are all kinds of people on food stamps with all kinds of different situations. This subject of food stamps and junk food all boils down to HEALTH. Talking about this is very much like talking about obesity in that both are a major HEALTH problem and junk food often leads to obesity. Talk is needed to change things for the better. Good ideas have been mentioned here to make food stamps healthier. Since you are studying psychology, many people who choose to eat mostly junk food don't know better, they need help and teaching and often this ties into obesity which is actually a true disease...they also need help. www.bnl.gov has information on obesity treatment 'vigabatrin' or 'gvg' (also being used for drug addictions), it has to do with dopamine reward system. For those of us who have always eaten healthy it really takes our notice and is upsetting when seeing people buy a lot of junk food and not healthy stuff, you know it's bad for them and for their future whether they are on foods stamps or not. I understand the consequences for their whole family if they keep eating this way. Think we have a responsibility to help produce healthy citizens, and changing the food stamp program seems overdue with all the junk food thrown at us in ads, restaurants and stores. Majority of food in regular supermarkets in the western world is not really nutritious enough. Vegetables, fruits, brown rice, legumes, dry beans, nuts....that's the healthy stuff. Plenty of protein in vegetables. Keep up your studies and best wishes.

Last edited by clsicmovies; 09-26-2011 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM

7,440 posts, read 5,706,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
I am also a cashier and I am not one to make a political statement or judge people but I see the same thing. When I was growing up we did not buy soda, candy, potato chips, ice cream and other various junk food items because we could not afford it, and no we were not on food stamps/EBT. I have seen people come into my place of work and spend $50 on junk food. I don't think you will find many people who disagree with you but something needs to be done, you can buy a lot of chicken/meat/vegetables for a family for $50.
I bet that it is because healthy food is does not satisfy the munchies??

Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,815,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Lazy slobs on welfare got electricity for free too.

Office of Community Services - Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) Program (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/ - broken link)

Besides, how they gonna charge up their free welfare phone if they don't have free electricity?
We just got those brochures for my library (where I work), and I had to read it to approve for distribution... LIHEAP, or the equivalent, only provides a ONE TIME "gas/electric bill relief" for a maximum of around $250. It also links you to the local company's monthly discount, which is something like 10-20% off your total electricity bill. So they do not receive FREE energy, and $250 for some families is barely 2-3 months worth. That's with normal usage, though you probably think poor people should read by candlelight.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,815,124 times
P.S. I have a question for the OP... why do I feel like I'm experiencing deja vu right now? Oh, maybe because this topic has already been beaten to DEATH here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies