Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
ah so its about your pay?. Most Publix and Kroger have Robots (10-20 self checkout in each store) that can do checkout, cheer up maybe they wont need you there.
I have *never* seen a self checkout in a Publix. They're so CS-centric my store manager said it went against Publix's mission statement....and 10-20 self checkouts?? Um, most Publix stores arent that large. My own store was considered a big one, and it has 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Unbelievable- bashing the workers and defending the moochers. No wonder our society is so screwed up.
I have no problem with people who truly need help receiving it. But I also have a tremendous amount of respect for the people who are willing to work.

I can't imagine standing on my feet all day as a cashier dealing with people who consider me "the lowest on the food chain" while collecting their government freebies. Absolutely amazing.
I still have a problem in 1 foot because of it, and Im only 24 years old. You watch people and you realize what idiots the general population really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM

20 posts, read 23,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Exactly. I grew up in the South Bronx, a very low-income area with a high amount of people on Gov't programs, and the majority of the FS users that I knew were not ballin outta control like a lot of these posters are claiming. The only people who pushed nice whips in the hood were drug dealers, business owners (liquor stores, laundromats, barbershops) or preachers. Most FS users live very modestly...you know, like 10 people in a 3 bedroom apt. I think Food Stamps starting getting a negative rep when MTV aired Ole Dirty Bastard (RIP) from the Wu-Tang Clan picking up Food Stamps from his limo back in the 90s. From then on people ASS-U-ME that is how the majority of people on Welfare are living. I guess this is what happens when you believe everything you see on TV smh
Ok, I have honestly never seen any of these shows or whatever they are on MTV. All I have seen is at least one person per day come through my line with and EBT card and a cart full of junk food. Every cashier at the store I work at complains about it. I never ever said that all EBT users are like this. I just said that in my experience I have seen it very commonly, and I think something should be done about it. And whoever said that SNAP was created for any kind of food is full of crap. SNAP was created for nutritious food. (WHICH DOES NOT INCLUDE OREOS AND DORITOES AND CANDY). Nutrition is even part of the acronym! And so is ASSISTANCE! Not "freebees!!!!"

Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
^^once again, you're incorrect.^^ there are no guidelines to using SNAP other than you can't buy hot, prepared foods, pet foods, non food items, booze, and cigs. SNAP doesn't give a fig if all you buy are Oreos. "nutrition" doesn't equal "only healthy foods". all foods provide nutrition, even Oreos (notice a box of Oreos has a nutrition facts label). nothing in the SNAP program requires good nutrition, unlike the WIC program which does limit foods to more healthful items like 100% juice, milk, Cheerios, and eggs.

you complain so much about a program you seem to know nothing about.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I saw this at the Farmers' Market yesterday, and thought you all might appreciate it... this is a local market (where I work, which is an agricultural community) with ALL fresh & mostly organic foods. They have some amazing local-grown produce, in addition to prepared fresh meals like fresh-Mex and Indian foods - very reasonably priced, too. Is that okay, or do you think EBT is misused here as well?

I think it's great, especially since I've been involved with the YMCA's "Healthy Kids & Families" program in this town. And this is precisely what we're aiming to achieve county-wide... more & better options for healthy food, regardless of one's financial status. Most of the affordable eating in this area consists of fast food, cheap Taquerias, and pizza places. So yay for the Farmers' Market!

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-29-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
It would be great if all farmers' markets accepte EBT cards, although I know many of them don't have the capacity to do so.

And then you'd probably get some crank complaining about people spending taxpayers' dollars on fresh and/or organic produce, when they could be buying squishy apples and brown bananas at the local corner store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
In an ideal world, I would love to see boxes of food instead of EBT cards.
Right. Because giving someone a box of food with items they don't like, are allergic to, or have no idea how to prepare is such a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
All I have seen is at least one person per day come through my line with and EBT card and a cart full of junk food.
LOL. Do you even know what you're talking about? One person a day is "common"? Sounds more like an exception to me.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL. Do you even know what you're talking about? One person a day is "common"? Sounds more like an exception to me.
That was my first thought. Once a day? How many people come through with EBT cards a day? Probably hundreds. Even if it's only a dozen people (and it's likely to be many more), that's hardly "common."

Old 09-30-2011, 11:48 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
working at Whole Foods (we didn't get that many people on SNAP, probably b/c people assume WFM don't accept them and that everything is uber expensive) I'd estimate I got about 5-10 SNAP users a day, mostly the elderly that lived in nearby complex. Working at mainstream stores, I got far more, closer to 3 dozen on busy days. and mind you, this was BEFORE the recession; I'm sure the numbers have increased. 1 person buying "a cart full of junk food" a day is nothing, especially since I highly doubt that 100% of the items in he cart is "junk food". and, once again, buying junk food (define junk food; I don't consider frozen veggies or even certain frozen dinners to be junk at all) isn't abusing the program.

not everyone knows proper nutrition or how to shop, regardless if they're on food stamps or not. I was at a 7-11 near my campus and watched some guys buy 6 bottles of Gatorade, bags of chips, Slim Jims, and frozen stuff. but hey, since they weren't paying with an EBT card, so one cares about their nutrition

Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Why do a lot of you people on food stamps have to spend every penny on junk food? As a cashier, I only see people with EBT buying complete junk... frozen pizzas, gushers and fruit by the foot, candy, ramen noodles, chips, sodas... And not one single vegetable item, no foods that need preparation other than a microwave or boiling water. Even the meats are already prepared and frozen, like Tyson chicken fingers. Is it that hard to just make food? It is cheaper to get veggies and fruits and raw meats anyway. You waste our tax payers dollars on complete junk, because to you, it tastes good and it's free. Lazy and greedy people is what is ruining America.

You have a point there! I would to be annoyed when people just buy junk food with fs or money. That is unhealthy. I dont like my tax dollars money on people who buy junk food with their FS..I have no complaints against anyone who needs them and uses them in the correct way..To buy groceries...Who am I to say what they kind of food the need to buy?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
good intentions but heavily taken advantage of.

I have seen too many times people using EBT cards to buy junk food and juices for their mixed drinks.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If you've been in an abusive relationship, I'm sure you understand what the dynamic is like. She threatened to kill herself if I ever left, and I didn't want to be held responsible for her death and hated by her family if she did commit suicide because of my leaving her.
I heard the same BS, I told him to go ahead once I woke up and realized that was just another control mechanism. 30 years later, he's still alive--and ironically trying to friend me on Facebook.

Quote:
The reality, of course, is that anyone can get laid off tomorrow. Anyone can get in a car accident and be paralyzed for life tomorrow.
That's what savings and insurance are for. We've been told we are "over insured." I don't believe there is any such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies