Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:35 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,010,775 times

Advertisements

I think Pelosi,Obama and all millionaires in gov't should donate their entire salaries to pay off the debt they created. the taxpayers are sick of giving money to millionaires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I think Pelosi,Obama and all millionaires in gov't should donate their entire salaries to pay off the debt they created. the taxpayers are sick of giving money to millionaires.

Congress created the debt by passing legislation allowing the spending. The FED has devalues our currency (federal reserve notes) by attempting to solve the problem with the printing presses. This more than anything, is what is stealing money from your wallet and savings account. We have a spending problem in this country, not a tax problem.

Please provide links where the US taxpayers have directly given money to millionaires.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,726,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Ignorant comment.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

You could confiscate the entire wealth of this country's billionaires and millionairs and you would still not wipe out a significant portion of this country's debt.

Seriously, step away from the class warfare kool-aid and take an economics class, please.
actually I read somewhere that if we confiscated the wealth, not the income, of millionaires and billionaires we wouldn't have enough money to run the government for a year--much less reduce the national debt.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,431,657 times
Someone running for office and who wants a deflection boogyman to blame for all the worlds ills could do no better than villifying millionairs. Easy stunt to pull as many get jealous of those who drive big flasy cars and fly in private jets. Even easier still to hold any opposing party as siding with the rich if they object to your reasoning. Political posturing at it's most basic! Great strategy for re-election but absolutely worthless to fix the deficit problem.

I'm having a problem with the two apparently oppositing facts often presented by MSM

1/ Millionairs are paying a higher tax RATE than middle income earners.

2/ 45 to 50% of U.S. citizens are paying no tax whatsoever due to loopholes etc..

Would someone please clarify that these two groups are perhaps mutually exclusive from each other or ......?

Not taxing capital gains to avoid double taxing, does this make sense? Isn't it earned income of some sort?

I file an income tax form and pay the applicable taxes for the money I earned in 2010, I now invest some of that same years income earned and realize a return on my investment, what is wrong with expecting me to file a return for 2011 showing that additonal income earned and paying a tax at whatever rate is applicable on that realized return?

I guess I don't get the reasons why capital gains should be immune from taxation.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,954,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Someone running for office and who wants a deflection boogyman to blame for all the worlds ills could do no better than villifying millionairs. Easy stunt to pull as many get jealous of those who drive big flasy cars and fly in private jets.

I'm having a problem with the two apparently oppositing facts often presented by MSM

1/ Millionairs are paying a higher tax RATE than middle income earners.

2/ 45 to 50% of U.S. citizens are paying no tax whatsoever due to loopholes etc..

Would someone please clarify that these two groups are perhaps mutually exclusive from each other or ......?

Not taxing capital gains to avoid double taxing, does this make sense? Isn't it earned income of some sort?

I file an income tax form and pay the applicable taxes for the money I earned in 2010, I now invest some of that same years income earned and realize a return on my investment, what is wrong with expecting me to file a return for 2011 showing that additonal income earned and paying a tax at whatever rate is applicable on that realized return?

I guess I don't get the reasons why capital gains should be immune from taxation.
I dont think they should be immune, just given a small break for taking risk with the money, putting it to work as an investment, and hopefully putting yourself in a better financial position to be able to ride out any downturns in the economy. Leaving the ultra wealthy out of the conversation, I personally try to invest a little of my savings in stable dividend paying stocks so I can try to eeek out a few pennies more than inflation instead of relying on the 1% I get from my savings account.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,024,437 times
Maybe Warren Buffet should worry about paying the taxes he already owes before he schools everyone else. Typical of the do as I say and not as I do Libs.

Warren Buffett's Company Hasn't Paid All Taxes Owed In Years, Media Mum | NewsBusters.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies