Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They also risk a lot more than the middle class.

In an absolute sense, yes, but not in relative terms.

If someone worth $100M were to risk $100K, he would be pretty much unfazed if he lost it. If I were to risk $1,000 I would be devastates if I lost it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
While we're checking facts, this "Tax Policy Center" that provided the analysis has some other things to say:

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/Uploa...rm-Options.pdf

Whoa...

"*Economic theory suggests that the degree of progressivity should balance the gains from mitigating economic inequality and risk-sharing against the costs in terms of disincentives created by higher tax rates. The optimal top tax rate depends on social norms and the government’s revenue needs."

That's disturbing. The optimal top tax rate should not depend on the degree to which government is profligate in spending tax dollars.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,093,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
On average, the rich do pay a higher percentage tax rate. But for some reason those who make their living with dividends and capital gains do not.

In my opinion all forms of income should be treated equally by the government. It shouldn't matter if you make your money through a job or by living off of investments. We should not let professional investors pay lower taxes while requiring people with jobs to pay higher taxes.
Then where do you propose that businesses get investors if we are taxing investment at a high rate? Wanna see the economy get even worse? Let the stock market tank again, there will be a massive selloff if this goes through.

All people who invest pay cap gains taxes at the same rate, also. Why should the ones who are most successful pay a disproportionate share?

It's not so easy to say just tax it as income, what about seniors who live off this passive income?

P.S. We reward risk, hopefully, with dividends. You want to tax it more, say bye bye to investment as we know it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
According to the article:

I don't see what the problem is with what Obama said.

Furthermore, given how many tricks there are for rich people to reduce their AGI, it is stupid to use AGI as a measure of income.
It's completely disingenuous. Something like.5 % of all millionaires pay fewer or no taxes. Not ALL as he would have you think.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
The top 400 earners have an effective tax rate of about 15%.
Link?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
They're based on the new profits off of that money, which have not yet been taxed.
The corp pays its income tax before dividends are dist.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,881,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Link?
Yeah, don't hold your breath - I asked to and have yet to see it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,380,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In an absolute sense, yes, but not in relative terms.

If someone worth $100M were to risk $100K, he would be pretty much unfazed if he lost it. If I were to risk $1,000 I would be devastates if I lost it.

That reminds me of the Chris Rock joke about the difference in alimony for the rich and the rest of us. If a millionaire gets divorced and has to give half of his $30 million to an ex-wife it is no big deal because he can get by just fine on $15 million. If on the other hand a guy who earns $30K gets divorced and has to give $15K to his ex-wife then someone is gonna die.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They also make a lot more than the middle class.
Duh! That is why they are classified as middle class and not rich.

I'm glad to see you have an eye for the obvious.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,380,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The corp pays its income tax before dividends are dist.

... and they are just PAPER PROFITS until the securities are actually sold. The sale and profit taking is the taxable event, not the accumlation value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies