Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,268 times

Advertisements

Those of you preparing to burn me at the stake, please take a moment to go back and read my unedited, original post, then ponder a few questions.
First of all, I think you would be hard pressed to convict me of being intolerant, of anyone, homosexuals included. They are in my family, my neighbor's family, and who knows how close they've actually been to someone who is gay? I don't know, do they have a brand, or certain look? I don't gay bash, muslim bash, black bash, or really bash anything, aside from runaway government and corporate management. Scratch that, I bash some family for being complete buttholes, but that aside, I'm more tolerant than you are of a dissenting opinion. You can cut and paste scientific evidence all day long, and you'll never convince me that gay love is a natural part of a healthy life. It just won't happen, like some here will never be convinced that animals are on this planet to feed humans, it's all opinion. I don't doubt for a minute that my boys will grow up to be strong, healthy, manly providers for their wives, because they are being taught to be men, I have no fear of my daughters becoming lesbians, because they are being taught to be women. They are being taught by parents that have put their own selfish desires on hold to take responsibility for the lives they have brought forth into this world. You call me intolerant, and have summarily crucified me as a gay basher, for stating the opinion that the gay lifestyle is destructive. Who is intolerant here? Have I called you names, put you down, threatened you in any way? Your insults don't make me feel any less manly about myself, because I am man enough to realize that everyone has opinions, and seldom will two people be in complete unison with each other. Where I draw the line is when someone is seeking special treatment, extra helpings of tolerance in the form of legislation that restricts others' freedom. Hate crime laws for instance. Is there any other term quite so idiotic? If someone mugs you in the street, and beats you to within an inch of your life, is it only a crime if you are gay? Do you qualify as a special victim because you're gay, black muslim, Jewish Confederate, or anything else? My opinion is no. A crime is a crime. If the government can be bought into believing that one group of people is more special than another, the seeds of intolerance are planted. It then creates the need for more government, which creates more class/status warfare among we the people. To quote the famed poet, Rodney King, "can't we all just get along?"

Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Electron I would just say I certainly am not crucifying you as a gay basher...however your post claims that the gay lifestyle is a destructive choice. And for you to make this assumption and disregard any science that is cut and pasted for you is in my mind a bit presumptuous. On what basis do you make this? Your interpretation of the Bible? Your gut?

I hope your kids do turn out to be manly men or your world is going to be rocked. I know a guy who is gay whose dad was a manly man and they went through some serious issues before they were able to reconcile. Why do you think a Pastor like Ted Haggard would decide to be gay? What would possibly lead him down that path? That just doesn't make any sense. Dude was gay, trying to pretend he was a "manly man". Is it better for gays to continue to just pretend to be heterosexuals and have wives and kids, and they all end up suffering? Sorry, but claiming gays "make their choice" and "get no sympathy from me" is not a sign of tolerance, however you decide to slice it or rationalize it in your mind.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,859 times
Why is ignorance bliss? (Acceptance, society, religion, deep, ethics) at Find Quotations

When I was single, a friend of mine's brother, very good-looking, intelligent, funny, and a manly man! Go figure! I was very interested in getting to know him, then my friend had to be honest with me.....Kevin was gay. How could he be gay? I was floored. Kevin and I got to know each other and became good friends. He shared with me that these feelings and attractions he had for the same sex began very early on, and even as a child he felt that he was just "different". He did try and fight them though...football player, dated many girls in high school, a real ladies man...then finally, he had to come to the realization that he was attracted to the same sex. Was this a choice? The only choice for him was to be honest with himself and to accept himself for who he was. He knew it wasn't going to be easy because of the way society is, but it was more important for him to give up the facade, and just deal with the consequences. I also asked him, if you had a CHOICE, would you still be gay? "No way", he said. Life would be much easier being straight. What a shame...and for the person that is so sure his son will be a he man? Believe me, this friend of mine is more of a man than a lot of heterosexual guys will ever be....

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Electron, despite all of your efforts, if one of your kids turns out to be gay, what would be your reaction?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Electron, despite all of your efforts, if one of your kids turns out to be gay, what would be your reaction?
Surely that is not an option, nor a possiblity - no son of Electron, raised to be a manly man, would ever choose to live a life of destruction? It NEVER happens in a heterosexual family EVER.

(That's why J. Edgar Hoover wore ladies' panties, right??)

Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Surely that is not an option, nor a possiblity - no son of Electron, raised to be a manly man, would ever choose to live a life of destruction? It NEVER happens in a heterosexual family EVER.

(That's why J. Edgar Hoover wore ladies' panties, right??)
Think Dick and Lynn Cheney are a pair of wusses???

Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Think Dick and Lynn Cheney are a pair of wusses???
Maybe they got their wires crossed and inadvertently gave their daughter the "manly man" upbringing.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
I don't doubt for a minute that my boys will grow up to be strong, healthy, manly providers for their wives, because they are being taught to be men, I have no fear of my daughters becoming lesbians, because they are being taught to be women. They are being taught by parents that have put their own selfish desires on hold to take responsibility for the lives they have brought forth into this world. You call me intolerant, and have summarily crucified me as a gay basher, for stating the opinion that the gay lifestyle is destructive.
My unanswered question is still this: Did you make a conscious choice to be straight? Did you, at some point, think that you could be attracted to girls or guys and you chose girls because that's how you were taught to behave? Is your straightness a learned, taught, or chosen behaviour? If you had been brought up differently do you think you might have chosen to be homosexual?

I know that my parents would probably have supported me if I was gay, but it was never an option for me. I am not even the tiniest bit bisexual, so it just wasn't a choice whether to be attracted to women, so it baffles me when a person who claims to be strongly heterosexual also claims that homosexuality is a choice. I have to assume that this means that person has at least some bisexual tendencies and has some attraction to the same sex.

Are there any other heterosexuals here who chose to be straight but believe that being gay is an option for themselves?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
To say Kipling had a way with words is a huge understatement.

To say Citigirl has her own world view is also a huge understatement.

Don't bother to HATE! It requires as much obsession as love and takes too much energy. Far better to let people just be what they are and let yourself be what you are.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
My unanswered question is still this: Did you make a conscious choice to be straight?
ever think that might be integrated into us when we are born? I put reproduction right up there with breathing, eating and drinking..
The one purpose of every animal on this planet is to reproduce and anyone that denies that is.. wrong. We breathe, eat and drink so we can sustain life to reproduce. everything else is just gravy
I realize there are people that can't reproduce and that's just proof that even Mother Nature isn't perfect..

BTW, the intolerance of nearly everyone in here calling for tolerance is amazingly silly.. ever think to read what you write before hitting that little Submit Reply button?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies