Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times

Advertisements

Question: Does this 50% or so that supposedly pays all the federal taxes include rich people who had sent too much to the federal government and so get a check back for the amount they overpaid? Or are they put in with the "pay no taxes" people.

Because that's exactly what's happening with refunds. They had too much taken out of their paychecks and so they're getting the amount they overpaid back. Why is it so hard to understand this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Except for a very small minority on public assistance, and not even a lot of them, working people DO NOT get all of their money back. They only get back the amount they OVERPAID.
Based on the report the 47% number is zero or negative income tax liability. That's not the check at the end of the year, that is over the entire year. If they pay in $1,000 and get a $1,000 check back from the IRS that is a zero liability. If they pay in $1,000 and get $2,000 back because of credits, that is a negative liability. http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/Uploa...9_who_pays.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
And yes that is a man's man. Or do you have a problem with wearing a helmet?
I don't have a problem with helmets when you are on a mountain bike out on a trail or zipping through traffic. He's on what looks to be a "girl's bike" and riding slowly. His only danger is going too slow and toppling over.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Left-wingers can't stand to be confronted with facts. NEWS FLASH... 47% of all households pay ZERO federal income tax and many of these same people who pay no federal income tax complain that the 53% who do pay taxes don't pay enough. Incidentally those 47% who pay nothing and often times receive refunds for taxes they never paid make up, I would guess make up somewhere around 80% of Obama and Demoncats' voting base so of course it's okay for them to pay nothing and enjoy the same or even more benefits than the 53% who do pay taxes. What does all this have to do with state and property taxes? The point Hannity is trying to make is that for productive people like himself, when all is said and done he spends more than 50% of all of his income on taxes alone. How is that fair when others pay far less or nothing? Liberals are always the first to demand everyone pay their fair share, but really what they mean is everyone who works for a living, i.e. mostly those outside of their voting base.

And by the way, it IS true that some people pay nothing in taxes including state, local, etc, when you consider all of the people on public assistance. If you're on food stamps, for example, you'd pay no sales tax. If you're in Section 8 housing, you pay no property taxes. If you don't work, you pay no payroll taxes. So it's not inconceivable that many of those in the 47% who pay zero federal income tax also pay zero state and local taxes. So not only do they pay no taxes, but they receive free money from the government, all on the back of taxpayers. Of course any thinking person knows that's what liberals want because welfare creates a reliable army of Democrat voters and if only those who pay taxes were allowed to vote, Democrats would quickly become a defunct political party.

Don't watch Hannity since I don't pay attention to pundits usually, but wanted to point out that food stamps don't buy everything that someone needs in a year and I highly doubt that anyone, poor or rich can go a year without paying any sort of sales tax at all. And all renters to some degree do pay property taxes, smart landlords, especially Section 8 landlords put the amount of taxes into their rent. So really if you have a very smart landlord, one can say that they pay no property taxes at all for their rental properties since they can have rent cover those payments. But of course they will be taxed on rental income at the end of the year.

Also don't know where you live but I pay way more in state taxes versus federal taxes. I don't mind but in the state I live in we have a very high tax rate and I am usually pretty upset every tax season since I always owe money. This year I claimed 0 so hopefully I'll get a refund since I'm sick of paying them. Also my hometown has a local city income tax, even when I made crap money about 11K per year when I was in college and working part time, I had to pay tax to the city at the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies