Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
This 'free speech Christian' is as tolerant of you and your beliefs as you are of mine.
Don't lump me in with you. I fully support the Christian student's right to express what he did. You don't have the balls to support the free speech rights of gays in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'll answer your question, but I don't think it's 'the question.' 'The question' is should teachers punish opinions they disagree with or think might be unpopular or offensive.

As to Your question. Teachers are in a position of authority, with almost total control of a student's future in that class. So no, I don't believe they should have total freedom to express Personal opinions, whether or not I'd agree with those opinions.
To the extent that this Christian student expressed his views...can the teacher express the opposite views and not be punished? Stop pussyfooting around.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm not sure I'd say plenty, since 99% of anti-gay arguments are based on flawed conservative interpretations of the Bible. The other 1% are usually purely emotion based on one's personal distaste, especially of 2 men being together due to our patriarchal, macho mentality.
What do you believe is a flawed conservative view of the bible.

As far as I am concerned, the Bible does not proclaim homosexuality wrong, but it does prohibit SEX between 2 people of the same gender and states that sex between people of the same gender is to'evah, an abomination.

You can be homosexual, you can have a same gender partner, but what the Bible states, (and I read it in hebrew, so I don't believe my interpretation is flawed), is that the ACT is prohibited, not the feelings/love etc. Hugging/kissing, fine, doing the horizontal mambo - bad.

(added)
Please remember that many people believe that much of the Bible concerns the preservation, and propagation of the species, homosexual sex would not accomplish this.

Last edited by Darkatt; 09-23-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Don't lump me in with you. I fully support the Christian student's right to express what he did. You don't have the balls to support the free speech rights of gays in the classroom.

Well, to reply to your classless, crass comment....first, I do not have 'balls' as I am a women.

Second, I have never said I do not support the rights of gays in a classroom - EVER. I disagreed vehemently with the teacher attempting to punish the child for speaking his beliefs. I also disagree with the gay community expecting tolerance and acceptance but not giving the same in return when other's do not agree with them. Got it? Good.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What do you believe is a flawed conservative view of the bible.

As far as I am concerned, the Bible does not proclaim homosexuality wrong, but it does prohibit SEX between 2 people of the same gender and states that sex between people of the same gender is to'evah, an abomination.

You can be homosexual, you can have a same sex partner, but what the Bible states, (and I read it in hebrew, so I don't believe my interpretation is flawed), is that the ACT is prohibited, not the feelings/love etc. Hugging/kissing, fine, doing the horizontal mambo - bad.

(added)
Please remember that many people believe that much of the Bible concerns the preservation, and propagation of the species, homosexual sex would not accomplish this.
How would you react if the teacher said that the student's interpretation of the Bible is flawed? Free speech or no-go?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Well, to reply to your classless, crass comment....first, I do not have 'balls' as I am a women.

Second, I have never said I do not support the rights of gays in a classroom - EVER. I disagreed vehemently with the teacher attempting to punish the child for speaking his beliefs. I also disagree with the gay community expecting tolerance and acceptance but not giving the same in return when other's do not agree with them. Got it? Good.
No I don't got it. You can't bring yourself to support pro-gay free speech in the classroom and are thus a fraud.

We're so happy you support the vague statement "rights of gays". To exist and breath? To not be jailed? ....LOL....Thank you for not killing them.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
How would you react if the teacher said that the student's interpretation of the Bible is flawed? Free speech or no-go?
The teacher is prohibited from teaching (in a public school) that any one religious belief is correct/incorrect.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No I don't got it. You can't bring yourself to support pro-gay free speech in the classroom and are thus a fraud.

We're so happy you support the vague statement "rights of gays". To exist and breath? To not be jailed? ....LOL....Thank you for not killing them.
Seriously....with all due respect, are you on something? You make no sense whatsoever???

Are you incorrectly accusing me of not supporting pro-gay speech? Calling me a fraud? Again, you are wrong. Ultimately, in the big picture, I am very happy with myself and my views. Can you say the same?

This is the end of my replies to you. Congrats - you have made it to me ignore list.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
My son's High school has a Gay and Lesbian club. I bet they have some good parties.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
The teacher is prohibited from teaching (in a public school) that any one religious belief is correct/incorrect.
And the classroom wasn't for a Bible Study Group either. If the student must, his mother should send him to Fairhaven Church in Indiana. I saw a piece on CNN on it last night. It would be a match made in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies