Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Good idea. The murderer executed last night in Texas ordered an extraordinary amount a food and didn't eat a bite. It was a big F U to the taxpayers.
Uhmmm if your facing your own execution would you have an apetite to eat that last meal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center
Conservatives have an answer for that...just let the police shoot them when they are arrested, what a big money saver. I mean after all they must be guilty if the police arrested them.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Small minds seem to gravitate to meaningless gestures in the mistaken belief that they are such gestures actually mean anything other than the meaninglessness of their small minds.

Perhaps if Texans were interested in joining the rest of civilized society they might consider, if not abolishing the death penalty altogether, at least consider the abject corruption of how they go about applying it.
The snide remarks of a far left Obama supporter make me laugh. Texans and residents of the majority of states believe in justice for the most heinous crimes.

Last edited by D-Towner; 09-22-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
While I personally couldn't care less the death of these killers the death penalty only makes impotent people feel powerful, thats why society is willing to spend an astronomical amount of money to keep it. We need to feed our blood lust because we are not as civilized as we think. It doesn't make anyone safer, it's not a "better" form of justice, and keeps lawyers rich.

I'm for a reasonable last meal. This guy in the OP seemed to get more than anyone could have eaten anyway, THAT is the problem with the last meal in Texas. They could have inmates choose a normal sized meal with one entree and a couple sides of their choice, but for some reason they didn't think of that.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm for a reasonable last meal. This guy in the OP seemed to get more than anyone could have eaten anyway, THAT is the problem with the last meal in Texas. They could have inmates choose a normal sized meal with one entree and a couple sides of their choice, but for some reason they didn't think of that.
We should have Michelle Obama pre-approve the meals.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
We should have Michelle Obama pre-approve the meals.
You are too late for that joke, someone attempted it on page 3 I think.
There was a skit I saw on tv as a kid and I always rememberd it. According to Wiki;
Quote:
An episode of the 1972 series The ABC Comedy Hour featured a sketch with Frank Gorshin imitating James Cagney as a condemned prisoner and Rich Little imitating James Stewart as a prison warden. When Little (as Stewart) told Gorshin he could have anything he wanted for his last meal, Gorshin (as Cagney) ordered "about a thousand" hummingbird tongues.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You are too late for that joke, someone attempted it on page 3 I think.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
The snide remarks of a far left Obama supporter make me laugh. Texans and residents of the majority of states believe in justice for the most heinous crimes.
What kind of justice did Texas give Todd Willingham?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Ceece"We need to feed our blood lust because we are not as civilized as we think."

Amen, and this last meal move is Barbarism 101. What next, bill next of kin for the lethal injection, or start a self serve execution line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies