Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:38 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Brewer wanted "a pound of barbecue"....he must have had really good teeth!
At least he didn't have to worry about flossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
A CNN poll done this morning indicates that 63% of the nation is uncivilized.
And I should be surprised by that? Perhaps folks might reconsider how closely they align with the values of Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen, and Iraq.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Good. It's not like murderers gave their victims such lavish, extravagant meals before killing them.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Good. It's not like murderers gave their victims such lavish, extravagant meals before killing them.
Yeah, that keeping their cheapo last meal from them will really hurt!

No they didn't give their victims the choice of a last meal, they didn't afford them a jury of their peers, an appeals process, last rites or any of the other decencies that separate civil societies from those who commit unconscionable acts against such societies.

But as my grandmother used to say, "you lie with dogs you get fleas."

Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
The snide remarks of a far left Obama supporter make me laugh. Texans and residents of the majority of states believe in justice for the most heinous crimes.
If it was their loved one murdered, they'd be screaming for blood.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
In what perverted world is it considered civilized to house, feed, clothe, entertain, and allow to draw breath, a heinous sub-human piece of trash that commits the worst kind of violence against innocent people?

You pacifist limp-wrists up north can keep coddling criminals and use the DSM and dope-smoking Marxist sociology theorems to rationalize it, but here in Texas we put sub-human criminal filth down like diseased animals. It is the humane thing to do.

If only you would apply your smug, elitist, sock-sniffing rhetoric to defending innocent babies. I suppose it is civilized to plunge forks into the skulls of fetuses and drench them in caustic chemicals? You know we've reached the pinnacle of human evolution and advancement in civilization when we pluck our own offspring from the womb with forceps, but allow murdering scum to get three hots and a cot for the rest of their lives.
I wouldn't quite use your brand of rhetoric, but you bring up a huge point. To some, the main objection to the death penalty is the possibility -however slight- that an innocent man may be executed. Why do abortion on demand types not offer the same benefit of the doubt to nascent (and certainly innocent) life?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
By the way, 139 people who were sentenced to die on were later exonerated, so unless you folks can assure me beyond a doubt that those 139 were all of those wrongly convicted drop me a line.
Exonerated? That's an example of the system working, not failing.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Because Jesus would do the same thing. Put men to death and deny them a last meal.

and we all know how Texas has a direct line to Jesus.....they're the same state that uses government websites to advertise Christian prayer services....

WWJD?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Exonerated? That's an example of the system working, not failing.
No, the system working would mean that they wouldn't have been convicted in the first place.

I believe Ovcatto's point is that we have no right to decide who lives or dies when we do not have a system that is completely perfect. (forgive me if I'm misinterpreting Ovcatto)

If we are to be a Christian nation, then a few things should be considered: 1. Children matter after they leave a uterus and they are often enough in need of health care. 2. I believe in the Bible it says "Judge not lest ye be judged". The death penalty is the ultimate judgement. I don't believe we are perfect beings and have the right to make that judgement. Lock them up so they can't hurt others (solitary if necessary), but ending someone's life because you THINK the person is a killer?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Brewer wanted "a pound of barbecue"....he must have had really good teeth!
I heard on the radio this morning he ordered a lot of food, a lot and didn't eat any of it.

Texas Has Seen the Last of ‘Last Meals’ - Law Blog - WSJ
Brewer did not eat any of the food he requested as his last meal: two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a large bowl of fried okra, a pound of barbecue, three fajitas, a meat lover’s pizza, a pint of ice cream and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies