Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 PM

513 posts, read 541,321 times

Advertisements

Looks like eugenics is back in style!

Maybe the environmentalists can find insulin to be bad for the climate - Ted Turner would be giddy with all the excess people removed that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't. My rescue inhaler is albuterol, and I fortunately do not have to use it often. I was warned off Primatene years ago when I was with my first husband. His doctors had serious concerns about it, and so he stopped using it. After that and switching to albuterol (inhaler mostly, sometimes nebulizer), his asthma improved.

Still, this is another example of undue influence by corporations. People need generic medications to be available and affordable.

Quote:
One of the concerns with Primatene, which has been used since the 1960s, is its effect on the heart, said Tim Op't Holt, a respiratory therapist with Victory Health Partners, a Mobile, Ala., clinic for uninsured patients.

"It's like putting a tack in the wall with a sledgehammer, because epinephrine has such a potent cardiovascular effect," Op't Holt said.

Sullivan said, "The reality is, if every patient could have access to prescription products, it would probably serve them better."
USATODAY.com - FDA panel calld for ban on some OTC inhalers

Yes, the USA does indeed need access to generics, but unfortunatley too many legislators are in bed with big pharma.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:20 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
USATODAY.com - FDA panel calld for ban on some OTC inhalers

Yes, the USA does indeed need access to generics, but unfortunatley too many legislators are in bed with big pharma.
Yes, epinephrine has its place in treatment of asthma, but that place is normally in the emergency room, in supervised conditions. My ex's allergy-induced asthma was so bad that we did have a multi-dose vial and syringes for emergencies. In his worst year, he had 13 emergency admissions, and I don't remember how many ER visits where he was discharged instead of admitted.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 833 times
There is no reason Primatine Mist cannot use propellants that don't harm the ozone layer. If they refuse to do so, that is not Bush or Obama's fault. Also, I must say, that if you have asthma, you ought to see a doctor.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
You can't make this stuff up. EPA to ban over the counter asthma inhalers to save the ozone layer.

Asthma inhalers to be phased out to protect ozone layer - TODAY Health - TODAY.com

Unfreakingbelievable
From the linked story:
The FDA finalized plans to phase out the products in 2008.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
I don't know why asthmatics can't just use trigger spray bottles.

That's a metered dose.

Maybe they can just use 409 All Purpose Cleaner.

Or, Windex. Windex works on anything.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From the OP link..looks like it was a global thing signed by several nations.
So went in under Bush..what has the Dem administration done in 2.5 years about it ? Are they (the Dems) for the common man ? If so what have they done to stop this ?

It may have been enacted under Bush but Obama has done nothing to stop it. So both get dinged.

From the OP link:
"The action is part of an agreement signed by the U.S. and other nations to stop using substances that deplete the ozone layer, a region in the atmosphere that helps block harmful ultraviolet rays from the Sun."
A green weenie is a green weenie no matter if they have a D or an R next to their name. Idiots is all they are.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 AM

296 posts, read 413,594 times
The main real rescue inhaler is albuterol (Ventolin/Proventil). It was available as an inhaler with the old CFC propellant up til a few years ago. The generic cost about $1.00 per inhaler from the wholesaler. Today, the new ones wholesale at $33.00 with the new propellant.
The EPA is taking care of it's own nestegg and pharma. The CFC's that were in the old albuterol inhalers paled in comparison to the real CFC producing countries who do not regulate. Can you see how corporations took advantage of this opportunity to produce a new and expensive replacement?

It could even be OTC. A tiny minority would misuse it, and get hurt or die. But that is all it takes for the "protectors" to justify the giant bureaucracy of pharma (pharmaceutical industry), medicine, and pharmacy.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:12 AM

27,135 posts, read 15,310,658 times
I thought this Administration was all about more money for everything.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
At least somebody is trying to do something to stop this madness..........

"The ban ... puts environmental concerns ahead of concerns for the estimated 3 million American asthma sufferers who use these inhalers," DeMint spokesman Wesley Denton said in a statement.
DeMint, R-S.C., filed the amendment Tuesday to wall off funding for the implementation of the ban.
[LEFT]
Read more: DeMint Tries To Halt Ban On Over-the-Counter Asthma Inhaler | Fox News
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies