Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With regard to admittance to a state university.
gender, ethnicity, Race, national origin, geographic origin, and household income should be considered 1 2.78%
Race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, geographic origin, and household income should never be considered. 35 97.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

State mandated racism is always wrong, and ends up hurting those it it intended to help. At this point, you don't know if a minority graduate is the best qualified person for a position, or an Afirmative Action poster child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Wasn't this very same criteria struck down by SCOTUS? Another lawsuit, waiting to happen.

Actually, I think ONE of the criteria should be income.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess academic ability and grades don't mean anything anymore.
It's all about race now and forced diversity/equality.

Well it is CA so let them do what they want.
In the end their system may lose their good reputation about quality education though.
Hyperbole, but consider that "legacies" get preference, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The dems are trying to enact legisation that gives preference to students applying to state universities based on race. The text of the bill seems to contradict itself.

Do you agree? Or disagree? And why...

Why would they consider those points if no preference is given?

SB 185 Senate Bill - AMENDED (http://ca.opengovernment.org/system/bill_documents/001/221/054/original/sb_185_bill_20110503_amended_sen_v97.html?13104983 01 - broken link)

This bill was brought to the floor by senator Ed Hernandez.

Biography | Senator Ed Hernandez

In my opinion race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, geographic origin, and household income should never be considered as a qualification to be admitted to a university. Only merit and accomplishment should be considered.
That would go against centuries of "legacy" admissions and the "good old boys" network that has been in place for forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams475 View Post
Modern Racism on Whites is now encouraged..

I live in the dorms at my university, my best friend in high school, she was European decent with a 3.4 GPA, did not get accepted in the university

My dorm roommate, African decent, was accepted as a student at our university, she told me her GPA was a 2.8 in high school

This is a growing problem of America.. its scary and sad
And you know for a fact this was all race-based?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hyperbole, but consider that "legacies" get preference, too.

That would go against centuries of "legacy" admissions and the "good old boys" network that has been in place for forever.

And you know for a fact this was all race-based?
According to one study (obviously not basing everything on this one), legacies don't get as much of an advantage as blacks, Hispanics and athletes.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Did not vote in the poll due to lack of sane choices. As for my opinion on the subject, I would rather have state of California work to establish public universities that accept students on their excellence and keep it immune from corruption by money. All should be welcome, as long as they have the capacity to make it in through academic performance.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
According to one study (obviously not basing everything on this one), legacies don't get as much of an advantage as blacks, Hispanics and athletes.
That depends onthe college. At some D-3 colleges, athletics is secondary, or even tertiary. My older daughter went to a private liberal arts college where about 30% of the admits were legacies. (She was not.)

Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Did not vote in the poll due to lack of sane choices. As for my opinion on the subject, I would rather have state of California work to establish public universities that accept students on their excellence and keep it immune from corruption by money. All should be welcome, as long as they have the capacity to make it in through academic performance.
There were two choices.

One sane, one insane.

What you mean is there weren't enough INSANE choices.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
It seems this poll is pretty clear how people perceive this issue:

You cannot spend decades, huge sums of money, and a tremendous effort convincing us that we are all equal.

And then turn around and say "except...."

I went to one school where grad students were eligible for a scholarship. One applicant was a white female student from Ireland with a working-class background, the other student was a black female student from Nigeria where the father was an M.D and the mother a college professor (both in the US). Guess who got the scholarship...not the person who needed it...
And which University was this? I'm still waiting to hear back from another user that had a similar story to yours but oddly enough the brand new user has yet to respond.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
And which University was this? I'm still waiting to hear back from another user that had a similar story to yours but oddly enough the brand new user has yet to respond.
Columbia University. And if it helps you, I was on the Admissions Committee for their Ph.D program in O-D Psychology.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There were two choices.

One sane, one insane.

What you mean is there weren't enough INSANE choices.
THAT is what I meant by insane. Or, would you prefer I call this a troll thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies