Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Using the Progressive ideology against the Progressive, fries the brains of many young Americans and confusion ensues.

The unequal value of picking winners and losers, based on the collective groups, instead of each individual, ruins a society of Freedom & Liberty, FOR ALL.
Many years of experience with this phenonema should have taught all that it's destructive nature far outweighs any good that it might have done.

People have a tendancy to look at the immediate results and ignore the long term degradation of standards.

Why aren't burseries and scholarships offered to those of higher scholastic standards, but of poor families, of more relevance and availability?

Attacking the high costs of advanced education at the admissions requirements end of the process just leads to bias and further acrimony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,143 times
Race does matter, it matters to people when you walk down the street, when you are in a job interview, driving an expensive car that must be stolen, becuase "they" can't possibly have one... etc

Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Race does matter, it matters to people when you walk down the street, when you are in a job interview, driving an expensive car that must be stolen, becuase "they" can't possibly have one... etc

Democrats have dominated government for how many years now?
Has it fixed anything, or has it gotten worse for those families, I mean broken fatherless families?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Oh I already know this. I have only taken the time to sit here and present such a fair and logical solution in order to expose the absurdity of racial preferences and the idiocy if not flat out racism of those that support them.
You did a great job.

At the school I worked at, it was called non-white bias as they don't discriminate.

See you at the bake sale!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:16 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
See you at the bake sale!
I don't have enough money to pay the white price

Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
And why do you suppose law schools have gone to such a non-grading grading system in recent years?
Obviously because the minorities have problem with the grading system.

Nothing to do with class rank is ALL that matters in law school.

Whether you're in a T-14 law school or not is really what matters.

The fact that law schools historically (well before minorities were allowed in) do not fail students. Low class rank was a death knell.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
[quote=ganongrey;21024908]I think socio-economic status could be used. The thing is, if you can't cut it in med school, you're not going to last long there.

I would never let my daughter mark the 'race' category on any admissions sheet, just for the reason that someone may think she didn't get in on her own merit. The daughter of a physician and professor should have no problem competing on a level playing field. But the son of a single teenaged mom, may have the minerals for that tier-1 college, but not all the opportunities.

However, in many cases SES can be linked to race. So if the kid had potential in other areas, did research, but didn't do well on his MCAT's because he couldn't afford a review course it can be taken into account.

But to ask the question- if that minority kid with the lower score, gets in and does well, what does that mean about the testing process?[/QUOTE]

Nothing. It wouldn't be statistically significant.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Wow.

Time magazine once ran a story trying to quantify the value of being white in America and it came out to being worth close to a million dollars. Google it.

And if I hear another housewife parroting what they think are the conservative motions speaking points I'm going to puke. I know the type, I avoid them at fundraisers.

Life isn't fair. It just isn't. Affirmative action was supposedly an attempt to make do for wrongs to blacks for so many years. The most heated arguements will always be between the original participants in this experiment we call America- Black and Whites...(I know about the native americans).

Affirmative Action based on race alone is wrong. There I said it.

Is it ok to base it on SES? In many instances SES and race (or minority status) carry a very positive correlation.

And for the record, I am an active member with my local conservative party. I am a Texan.

But to make the jump from a.a. helping someone who's on the bubble getting into a school to generalizing that it's helped all minorities get through college is idiocy. Do you understand how utterly offensive that statement is to any and every person of color that's graduated from college.

Maybe Obama's Presidency has caused a disturbance in the long held idea that you had to be white to make it in this country. Maybe poor whites who only had their whiteness as their only feather in their cap are upset that this particular stock has dropped. I don't know. I don't care.

I've got an MD, my wife's a Professor, and for someone to dilute my accomplishment by even suggesting that affirmative action (which does not permeate each and every orifice in this society nor the dating world for that matter) played a role in my success, lessens me as a professional and a man.

If for whatever reason, your station in life is threatened by a minority that's risen as high or higher than you- deal with it- but don't make up b.s. reasons such as, it must be affirmitve action, he skated by or...hell, he's not actually a citizen.

Many good points.

I also oppose race-based AA because ironically, it screws over truly disadvantaged minorities. As minorities have expanded into middle and upper class there are a number of kids like your daughter that in those scenarios would take "a slot" effectively making it harder than ever to disadvantaged minorities to get one of those spots.

I can't remember where I read the article but they pointed to a number of grad school etc. students from african nations taking up racial quota slots that left some blacks in the US complaining.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Nothing. It wouldn't be statistically significant.
Not so fast.

But first, we could question the validity of testing. Do major test carry any sort of postive predictive value on future success? Is there a cut-off? Meaning using the standard gaussian distribution do say kids that test outside of 1 standard deviation of the mean do as well as kids within that 68% assuming a normal distribution?

So Mathguy (and from what I remember from electrical engineering should be enough for me to wade through this one) if you did a retrospective review of the kids on the bubble for med school, college or whatever- do those kids 'skate' by for the rest of their career or do they improve? Is the cutoff point (in my day 1400 on the SAT separated those that could from the hoi polloi) arbitrary or do kids below whatever line in the sand truly not do as well as kids that score just above it?

I honestly don't know. I think it would be an interesting study and to charge it with race would definitely put whatever poor doctoral sod on the fast-track.

Last edited by GreyDay; 09-26-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Many good points.

I also oppose race-based AA because ironically, it screws over truly disadvantaged minorities. As minorities have expanded into middle and upper class there are a number of kids like your daughter that in those scenarios would take "a slot" effectively making it harder than ever to disadvantaged minorities to get one of those spots.

I can't remember where I read the article but they pointed to a number of grad school etc. students from african nations taking up racial quota slots that left some blacks in the US complaining.
Black does not equal African. The Black experience is unique to America (I'd like to believe). Someone growing up in Nigeria, Ghana or Somalia may not have had all the opportunities of a middle class American, but it's due to their country's ability to educate them, not their color. Also ignoring that most Africans that would even be eligible for those slots are so highly self-selected in the first place and generally are from wealthy families. Generally you don't meet too many poor ex-pats in any country.

I am American first and foremost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies