Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,306,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Wow...that's the problem. You'd assume that the med school could have lowered their standards for the minority physician, but never for the white doc?

How do you choose who's the most competent doctor?

Even IF a med school lowered their standards a bit to get in it doesn't mean they didn't get out on their own merit.

Do the medical boards get lowered? does the united states medical licensing exam get lowered? Hell, do patients of minority doctors try harder not to get sick to lower the standards for minority physicians?
I don't mind trying to have a conversation, but you altered my original posting to make it look different. So you, my friend, are not playing fair, and you can take a hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,383,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't mind trying to have a conversation, but you altered my original posting to make it look different. So you, my friend, are not playing fair, and you can take a hike.
I have no idea how I altered your original statement. It wasn't redacted. Did I edit only the part that was relevant to my rebuttal?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:08 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,853,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
The topic is that somehow black people are given a preference and the bar being lowered, however most intelligent people realise race AND class are indelibly intertwined.
No, they are not "intertwined." There may be disparities based on numbers, but everyone is an individual. There are poor white people, poor black people, rich white people, and rich black people. Each is an individual and should be judged as such.

Quote:
You further demonstrate your limited intellect when you feebly attempt to suggest that I contradicted myself when I stated " an army of white," etc.
You did.

Quote:
I made it abundantly plain to those with the power of reading comprehension that there are many poor white but many more poor blacks.
Each is an individual and should be judged as such.

Quote:
The overwhelming amount of wealth in the hands of the upper middle class and uber rich is another way of saying that it is in the hands of white people, again if you can't comprehend the world you live in why is it anyone else's fault.

Quote:
Exactly where is a "generalization that I made, do you really even know the meaning of the word.
You made a generalization about armies of rich white kids.

Quote:
I'm done with you, I can only argue down for so long.
Good point. Although I would say a string of personal attacks is "arguing down."

Quote:
Now my original statement to more able posters. Does average and/or borderline students get in because their parents can afford the services of academic coaches and tutors, does the admittance of legacy students gaurantee that marginal students get admitted?
Yep. I don't like it any more than you do. But to make it a racial issue is stupid. Unless of course you are the typical anti-individualist liberal who can only rationalize your beliefs by putting people into groups.

If a poor white kid and a poor black kid apply to a college, should one be given the upper hand based on race?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

If a poor white kid and a poor black kid apply to a college, should one be given the upper hand based on race?

Excellent question there SB. Given today's standards though they will NOT be treated equally.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Excellent question there SB. Given today's standards though they will NOT be treated equally.
This is my central question here, and a very simple one.

And no, I do not give a damn about disparities or armies of rich white kids. All I want is for the answer to this question to be "no" when being considered in any policy decisions. Any other answer is discriminatory, plain and simple. And this would be applicable in reverse as well.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:17 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,953,569 times
Quote:
No, they are not "intertwined." There may be disparities based on numbers, but everyone is an individual. There are poor white people, poor black people, rich white people, and rich black people. Each is an individual and should be judged as such.

You did.

You made a generalization about armies of rich white kids.

Good point. Although I would say a string of personal attacks is "arguing down."

Yep. I don't like it any more than you do. But to make it a racial issue is stupid. Unless of course you are the typical anti-individualist liberal who can only rationalize your beliefs by putting people into groups.

As I stated earlier, Sam some things in life are just gonna fly over your head.

Whose fault is it that you are so naive and ill informed of reality.

How about you dispute the articles and not me, you may have better luck there.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
As I stated earlier, Sam some things in life are just gonna fly over your head.

Whose fault is it that you are so naive and ill informed of reality.

How about you dispute the articles and not me, you may have better luck there.
Blah blah blah. Answer my question.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,953,569 times
Quote:
Blah blah blah. Answer my question.
How about you attempt to answer mine???

How about you attempt to disprove the articles?

How about you prove that race and class are not indelibly intertwines? (should be good)

How about posting based on reality?

I can't keep arguing down to you, it's not worth the time.

Again disprove any point I've made or the articles I posted. That would destroy my position, do that and stop the avoidance, it's a sign of a small mind.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
How about you attempt to answer mine???
I did.

Quote:
How about you attempt to disprove the articles?
I never said they were false. I just disagree with your racist solution.

Quote:
How about you prove that race and class are not indelibly intertwines? (should be good)
There are disparities. Each person is an individual however, and should be judged as such.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:23 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,383,991 times
What about the benefits of being a member of the upper-middle class (which is all that's really left of the middle class anyway) or the true upper class?

What about the children of parents who are well-connected, educated and can 1) prep their kids 2) pull necessary strings 3) Have the wherewithall to do whatever it takes to get their kid into a better college, a better lawfirm, a better starting position at merril-lynch?

It's becoming more and more about those in the top 2-5% and everyone else is just scrambling for a piece. One step further, does even just an undergraduate degree from a middle of the road college guarantee a good life anymore? It's more in line with 'Death of a Salesman' that the American Dream may not be as healty as it once was. The fact that success is no longer a certainty unless you got into H/Y/P or have uber-advanced degrees, so this affirmitive action we're arguing about is just the first step.

Today you can come out of school with 200k in loans and a degree in sociology and be in trouble job wise.

The days of greatness with just a bachelor's from the University of Wyoming w/o connections are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies