Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I say legalize any and all drugs. Then let the dice roll. When they stop help the people wanting to get unhooked and let the rest die.

I expect we will have a few more potheads, a lot less Heroin addicts and darn few meth heads and cocain snorters.
I agree,...except,...don't spend any taxpayer money to rehabilitate those who take drugs while knowing their dangers. Taxpayers shouldn't be required to support someone else's druggie lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Default Is Charlie Sheen a good argument against legalizing drugs?

No, because that would be to say that Hollywood exerted no negative effects on him.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I am majorly anti-drug, but Charlie Sheen was coo coo in the cabeza long before drugs came along.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Did anyone see him the other morning being interviewed by Matt Lauer (if I spelled that right)?

Not only screwed-up in mind - But he looked like another person...His has the druggie look about him - And it's not going away.

He looked horrible (compared to what he looked like before). And do not tell me it was make-up...I've seen other people that were on drugs too long, and yes, their facial physical appearances change.

His best bet now is to take over some old Bela Lugosi parts.

Legalizing drugs is not going to help anyone. It is going to cause long term harm to people. And you do not need to be a scientist to know that.
Banning illegal drugs certainly didn't work to protect Charlie Sheen from drugs.

Smoking something LEGAL, like tobacco, certainly causes harm, including mental harm. The majority of people who come down with schizophrenia smoke cigarettes. So why don't we ban tobacco?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
They smoke cigarettes as a form of self-medication.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Is alcohol positive? Probably not. Lots of DWI, violence, etc. A few years ago, I remember a teen jumped from the 15th floor (at a party) being sure he can fly (under influence). This country instituted prohibition in the past, only to abandon it later. Why? Not because alcohol is good, but because enforcing the laws just proved impossible.
Drugs are bad, but after spending billions over so many years and failing, (while creating gangs, mafia, millionaires and billionaires from the illegal traffic and hell at the Mexican border) maybe its time to stop and treat drugs similar to alcohol.

(BTW, with all talks of cut spending - including considering reducing the armed forces, I didn't hear one request from conservatives to stop spending money on anti drug law enforcement)

Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Did anyone see him the other morning being interviewed by Matt Lauer (if I spelled that right)?

Not only screwed-up in mind - But he looked like another person...His has the druggie look about him - And it's not going away.

He looked horrible (compared to what he looked like before). And do not tell me it was make-up...I've seen other people that were on drugs too long, and yes, their facial physical appearances change.

His best bet now is to take over some old Bela Lugosi parts.

Legalizing drugs is not going to help anyone. It is going to cause long term harm to people. And you do not need to be a scientist to know that.
I don't know, is Paris Hilton a good argument at banning alcohol?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
In a word: no.

People who favor legalizatin of drugs do not do it because we believe that no harm will ever come to anybody if drugs are legalized (or, to be more accurate, if certain drugs that are now illegal are legalized). We take the position largely because we do not agree that the government has a legitimate role in protecting people from actions that hurt only themselves, and nobody else.

As a secondary reason, we would point out that the harmful effects of drug prohibition (crime, millions of people in prison, families disrupted) vastly outweigh any societal benefit derived from making it marginally more difficult to obtain drugs than it would be if they were legalized.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default Is Charlie Sheen a good argument against legalizing drugs?

He's a good example of why not to use drugs.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
As others have said, Charlie Sheen is a good argument that the drug war is useless.
Maybe we need to step up the effort than, rather than capitulate as you would suggest. Maybe if we have the death penalty for drug dealing and loss of citizenship and banishment for drug using then maybe we could end the scourage on our society. We don't need drug users in this country. First time, send them to treatment. Second time, loss of citizenship and exile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies