Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,170 times

Advertisements

I find these days I am more and more fed up with price gauging, the cheapening of products, smaller amounts, lack of service and what I feel is a lack of corporate and government honesty. I find I have thoughts of and make statements of boycott more often then wanting to support these days.

For instance, here in NJ gas is sold cash or credit with a much higher price for credit, so I always pay with a 100.00 dollar bill. I think Walmart is terrible in the long run for our country, destroying small business and the Sams division is a joke "buy bulk at a higher price". Where is the unit pricing stickers that other retailers have too have? So yes I boycott Walmart.

How do you feel? What deserves support or how would you boycott a corporation or service fee increase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
You boycott, and I will support.

I see nothing to boycott. It is called business. they charge more for gas with a credit card, because they have to pay a fee to their merchant account every time you use your card.

Walmart started off as a small business. If the small business is being destroyed it is because they have not learned how to compete.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Walmart buys trash in bulk from China and pays its associates $7/hr to sell it to Americans who buy it and saw the branch off the tree that they are sitting on.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Walmart buys trash in bulk from China and pays its associates $7/hr to sell it to Americans who buy it and saw the branch off the tree that they are sitting on.
But since walmart sells the same products that everyone else sells, then that means everyone else is buying from China also.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Not necessarily.

For one thing some of the bigger chains (Home Depot does this for example) make arrangements with manufacturers to sell cheaper versions of an existing product. In order to meet the retailer's price requirements, the manufacturer makes changes, which usually means skimping on quality. It looks like the same product but it isn't. This is why I don't buy power tools - or much else for that matter in Home Depot. It's crap, nd expensive crap to boot.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily.

For one thing some of the bigger chains (Home Depot does this for example) make arrangements with manufacturers to sell cheaper versions of an existing product. In order to meet the retailer's price requirements, the manufacturer makes changes, which usually means skimping on quality. It looks like the same product but it isn't. This is why I don't buy power tools - or much else for that matter in Home Depot. It's crap, nd expensive crap to boot.
But if the manufacturer is not located in China then they are not purchasing from China.

If the manufacturer is in China, then everyone who sells the product is buying it from China.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Not necessarily.

This is very true.

We have taken water pumps and pressure tanks apart.

Same model and brand, not near the quality.

Yes if the manufacturer is in China then all bets are off, anyone selling it is selling junk from China.

But the manufacturer can easily be located in the US but have outsourced subassemblies or even the entire product to China. That will not show up on the label.

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
How do you feel? What deserves support or how would you boycott a corporation or service fee increase?
I guess you do what Americans have been doing for decades, you vote with your feet and checkbook/cash.

What's the big deal?

If the majority of people did that, the big bad evil corporation would go out of business, right???

Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This is very true.

We have taken water pumps and pressure tanks apart.

Same model and brand, not near the quality.
FYI I would not buy any fittings there either. That is all I am going to say. Get your stuff from some place that sells "contractor quality" if you want it to last more than 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies