Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times

Advertisements

You know what is really sad?

Most people in this forum wouldn't recognize a real confederate flag.

The below link is to what most people think is the confederate flag. Well, it's not. It's the battle flag of Northern Virginia, and though people call it the Confederacy battle flag, it wasn't. It was simply the flag most northerners ran into on their way south. Learn your history.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...onfederacy.svg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wonder how people would feel if a person of German heritage started flying the Nazi flag or a person of Japanese heritage started flying the Japanese flag? It is the same thing. They lost. We won. Our flag is the one that should be flown.
Actually in Germany flying the regular German flag outside soccer games is considered a sign of neo-nazi sympathy and highly looked down on. The swastika itself and any symbols of the Nazi government are outright banned and punishable by imprisonment.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
A brief correction...it WAS a moral issue to nearly 5 million blacks and many, many northerners. That issue was based on Scripture. Southern and northern Christians and blacks both slave and free used scripture to bolster their positions. Their are numerous accounts of Christian folk freeing their slaves based on the Great Commandment and the Golden Rule. In an odd sense it was a moral issue with white southerners, who were convinced that God created blacks to be the burden bearers of the world. BTW, 'Time On the Cross' conclusions are hotly disputed and mostly not accepted. The conclusion that slaves were better off than white workers is total crap because the whites were...FREE!
Hey Stan! I was wondering what had kept you so long! But the same could be said about me, so don't worry, I haven't forgotten your latest post nor that of the other fellow (who I will address tomorow). It is just that I am so busy during the workweek, I have to wait for weekends to really read and reply. But, I will be rejoining shortly!

Meanwhile, let me just leave you with that you are simply fooling yourself if you think all blacks in the South, saw slavery as a "moral issue" in the way we all think of it today. Matter of fact, as they came from a continient/culture where slavery still exists today in some form or fashion, it is highly doubtful, until they were exposed to western culture with its moral concerns about the institution, most ever gave it a thought at all in those terms, originally.

Of course it goes without saying none wanted to be slaves. Who would want to? Yet it is also a fact the concept of slavery itself was nothing foriegn to most in a moral sense, either in the old or new country. And like it or not, the blunt fact is, many blacks who were allowed to buy their "freedom" became slave holders themselves, and had aspired to be just such.

[/i]Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

So far as the conclusions of "Time on the Cross Goes"? As I said earlier, of course it is hotly debated...just like any other book on such an historical controversial book will be, regardless of position on whatever the issue. Soooo...present the counter-points...? All I have seen thus far from a few extreme South-bashers, is that if one disputes that the emotional canard of routinely abusing blacks (by either white or black slaveholders) in the ante-bellum South was a seeming sport, then the only remaining alternative is that the person must be "defending slavery." Such is patently ridiculous and insulting. It is merely a rhetorical ploy and an obvious one at that.

Sorry, but that dog wont hunt. It merely steers the whole thing into a ditch and upsets the vision some have of a morality play of a righteous north and an evil South. As it is, the book Time on The Cross was extremely critical of slavery (as is only proper)...yet was scholarly enough to present some strong evidence that, in terms of living conditions and mortality rates, the average factory worker in the North was worse off in that realm than the average black slave in the South.

This has NOTHING to do with defending slavery and it is silly to assume otherwise, fer gosh sakes...

Finally, back to the original way this all came up? I never said slavery was not a moral issue in some realms and for many centuries. Of course it was. What I said was, as to the general topic, the morality of it all -- as in the plight of slaves and its existence where it existed -- was NOT a motivating factor -- not in the least -- as to why the war itself started...

But anyway, time to call it a night. Again, will resume all this over the weekend. Have a good evening!

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-06-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies