Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM

474 posts, read 905,246 times

Advertisements

The Supreme Court made a mistake. Hopefully someday they will see that their decision was flawed. It is a human cell, that grows into a human being quickly. It is not any other kind of cell.

Everyone tries to ban speech they don't like. Democrats are no different.

How can you say the left wants less government? The right isn't as against it as they claim, but the left absolutely demonstrates in everything they do that they want the government more involved in most aspects of life. Most of all, they want the population dependent on the government.

The government should get out of marriage, get out of churches, take away all charitable deductions, eliminate incentives for people to buy homes, stop protecting people from their own stupidity and failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The "pro life" position is typically associated with the right, but I in my conservative mind I see abortion as a crime against humanity. The position taken by the Supreme Court that abortion is a right to privacy issue is ridiculous. The pro-choice or feminist position that "its my body" is also ridiculous. It is a human fetus. It not a frog embryo. And terminating the life of the fetus is terminating life. That it exists inside a woman should not change the wrongfulness of it.

Liberals would fight harder to protect a few thousand homeless people than they would lift a finger to reduce the 1.2 million fetuses terminated a year in the US alone.
Homeless people are sentient beings with functioning brains and pain receptors. A 5 week old fetus, doesn't even have a brain, let alone sentience.

I don't advocate abortion except in certain circumstances, but this whole hyperbolic notion of, "OMG, think of the cute little babies being murdered" is ridiculous.

Far more women have spontaneous miscarriages than have abortions. Are you going to claim God is a baby murderer too, or is it justified because God ordained it? (Of course, Biblically, God actually did order the murder of babies, so it's a bit worse).

What exactly makes an embryo or a 1st trimester fetus a baby? Can it think, feel, survive on its own? How is it much different than the individual cells that make a zygote? Masturbation used to be condemned because it wasted baby making cells. Shall we return to that logic?

In the words of Elle Woods, "And for that matter, all masturbatory emissions where a sperm was clearly not seeking an egg, could be termed reckless abandonment".

Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The "pro life" position is typically associated with the right, but I in my conservative mind I see abortion as a crime against humanity. The position taken by the Supreme Court that abortion is a right to privacy issue is ridiculous. The pro-choice or feminist position that "its my body" is also ridiculous. It is a human fetus. It not a frog embryo. And terminating the life of the fetus is terminating life. That it exists inside a woman should not change the wrongfulness of it.

Liberals would fight harder to protect a few thousand homeless people than they would lift a finger to reduce the 1.2 million fetuses terminated a year in the US alone.

But both parties are remarkably inconsistent. Democrats or liberals would be far more likely to regulate smoking, the fat content of meals, or your speech if it is deemed hateful. These are all anti-freedom positions.

Libertarians are the only ones remotely close to having a consistent position on issues like this.
it is about privacy. what right do you have to know what is happening with my body? my medical history is none of your business either. women have the right to full health care just as a man does.

unless you are "renting" a woman's womb of course it is her body to do with what she wants. do you want to force women to carry a baby to term if they don't want to? pregnancy camp and birthing centers for the unwilling?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Homeless people are sentient beings with functioning brains and pain receptors. A 5 week old fetus, doesn't even have a brain, let alone sentience.
At six weeks, for example, a fetus has arm and leg buds, a spine, eye pits, ears, a mouth, and a beating heart. (Hardly "a cell" as supposed upthread.)

Good for homeless people for having brains.
I would question if those brains are functioning in the one of the many who are addled with drugs and refuse to clean up so they can become contributing members of society.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
unless you are "renting" a woman's womb of course it is her body to do with what she wants.
Not necessarily.
Can/should a woman pump herself full of drugs and/or alcohol while pregnant?
Can a pregnant woman ride the Kingda Kaa roller coaster at 9 months?
Can a pregnant woman fly in an airplane at every point in her pregnancy?

There certainly are rules in place to protect a growing baby.
It is arrogant for some to baa over and over that "it's a woman's right!! She can do whatever she wants!!"

I'm a woman and I refuse to fall into that line of thinking.
It's bratty and irresponsible.

Last edited by Alltheusernamesaretaken; 09-26-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Abortion is a human rights issue, nothing more, nothing less. The vast majority of those in the pro life movement are women, many of whom are democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
The Pro-Life movement is a position generally associated with the right, as the Pro-Choice lobby is considered left. This always struck me as odd. If I knew nothing about where the two parties stood on this issue, but had an understanding on where they stood on defining the role of government, I would have bet the farm that Pro-Choice would be the Republican position demanding government not interfere with personal freedoms. I could also see the Democrats taking a position to defend the defenseless unborn.

Similarly the position of legalizing drugs is generally aligned with the left, whereas on paper, I would think the Republicans would view using drugs as a personal choice not to be interfered with by the government. Yet, neither party is interested in an agenda of expanding prohibition to alcohol or contracting it to exclude pot.

Thoughts?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
it is about privacy. what right do you have to know what is happening with my body? my medical history is none of your business either. women have the right to full health care just as a man does.

unless you are "renting" a woman's womb of course it is her body to do with what she wants. do you want to force women to carry a baby to term if they don't want to? pregnancy camp and birthing centers for the unwilling?

But that's just it, it's not "your body." It's an entirely different body with it's own dna, heart, organs, brain, etc. Wanna kill yourself; knock yourself out (pun intended). Wanna commit genocide against an innocent pre-born baby; you're committing a heinous human rights violation, and I will loudly oppose you.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Not necessarily.
Can/should a woman pump herself full of drugs and/or alcohol while pregnant?
Can a pregnant woman ride the Kingda Kaa roller coaster at 9 months?
Can a pregnant woman fly in an airplane at every point in her pregnancy?

There certainly are rules in place to protect a growing baby.
It is arrogant for some to baa over and over that "it's a woman's right!! She can do whatever she wants!!"

I'm a woman and I refuse to fall into that line of thinking.
It's bratty and irresponsible.
huge difference between a fetus at conception to 8 or 12 weeks gestation than one at 9 months. even still many babies are indeed born after the mother has pumped herself full of drugs and booze.

it is more arrogant to expect women to be breeding stock if they don't want to be. again how will you house these woman and how will you regulate them to make sure they stay pregnant?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
huge difference between a fetus at conception to 8 or 12 weeks gestation than one at 9 months. even still many babies are indeed born after the mother has pumped herself full of drugs and booze.

it is more arrogant to expect women to be breeding stock if they don't want to be. again how will you house these woman and how will you regulate them to make sure they stay pregnant?
There's a huge difference between a 9 month old and a two year old. There's a huge difference between a 2 year old and a 6 year old. There's a huge difference between a child with down syndrome and a boy genius. What exactly is your point?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
But that's just it, it's not "your body." It's an entirely different body with it's own dna, heart, organs, brain, etc. Wanna kill yourself; knock yourself out (pun intended). Wanna commit genocide against an innocent pre-born baby; you're committing a heinous human rights violation, and I will loudly oppose you.
just because i can grow a baby if I want doesn't mean it isn't my body. I have the right to control my reproductive organs. not your business, sorry. until the fetus can survive on it's has not the weight that the woman has. her choice.

no one ever answers the questions...just how do you expect to make women carry babies to term if they don't want to? forced pregnancy farms? how do you regulate who might be in the first few days of pregnancy and what each woman might do?

are you ok with illegal abortions and the death toll of woman who seek out back alley abortions and self induced coat hanger abortion deaths? or are all the babies you would save worth the deaths of these woman?

the human rights issue is the woman, not the cell. women are free to have choice abortion is just one choice. many women never abort but they have the choice. to deny woman the choice takes away their freedom and rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies