Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Especially regarding the word "teabaggers"
now that remark was totaly gay and ghetto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
This past weekend about 6 of my female friends went to NYC for a much needed girls’ weekend out. One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by and my impatient friend starts complaining about the line, the people the atmosphere, etc.

At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.

The black girls in the group stopped in their tracks and got in her face calling her hair nasty and ghetto along with her outfit. Ultimately, all the other people in the line kicked all of us out and taunted us while we walked away.

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

Am I wrong by this? Should I have not been so upset? How do you feel about people sayings things are ghetto. I think its incredibly rude, disgusting narrow minded and embarrassing that I know her. What would you do in this situation?

That was very "trailer trash" and "ghetto" behavior on the part of your friend. She is obviously exactly what she professed to despise.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
now that remark was totaly gay and ghetto
You obviously have no idea what ghetto or teabagger means. You wouldn't know something ghetto if it came and sat on your face.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
You obviously have no idea what ghetto or teabagger means. You wouldn't know something ghetto if it came and sat on your face.

wrong and don't tell me about the meaning of ghetto if it came and sat on my face.teabaggers do that silly. It's just slang that the younger generation uses regularly these days and is not meant to insult or put down a certain group. hey I'm an old foggie and I'm cool with it so mellow out a little

Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I use ghetto to describe a place, a person's behavior, and when a proper resource/utility is absent, an inefficient resource take its place in order to fullfill a specific need/want. Ex. Using an iron, rather than a stove and pan, to cook a grill cheese sandwich is a ghetto way of trying to make the sandwich.

A lot of people use it to describe things of relatively poor/inferior/cheap quality.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-26-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
. It's just slang that the younger generation uses regularly these days and is not meant to insult or put down a certain group. hey I'm an old foggie and I'm cool with it so mellow out a little
Sorry, you are out of touch. Me and my friends use the term ghetto and believe me, it's meant as a put down.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
This past weekend about 6 of my female friends went to NYC for a much needed girls’ weekend out. One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by and my impatient friend starts complaining about the line, the people the atmosphere, etc.

At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.

The black girls in the group stopped in their tracks and got in her face calling her hair nasty and ghetto along with her outfit. Ultimately, all the other people in the line kicked all of us out and taunted us while we walked away.

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

Am I wrong by this? Should I have not been so upset? How do you feel about people sayings things are ghetto. I think its incredibly rude, disgusting narrow minded and embarrassing that I know her. What would you do in this situation?
So the black girls told your friend her hair and outfit were ghetto? It doesn't seem like they really have a problem with the word since they used it also.

My guess is the place probably fit the description, the way the other customers were quick to get in her face and all.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you are out of touch. Me and my friends use the term ghetto and believe me, it's meant as a put down.
DUH no kidding. glad you admitted you and your friends use it

Old 09-26-2011, 10:25 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I hate that word...just as offensive as "gay" and some of the other terms kids overuse these days for things they don't like.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So the black girls told your friend her hair and outfit were ghetto? It doesn't seem like they really have a problem with the word since they used it also.

My guess is the place probably fit the description, the way the other customers were quick to get in her face and all.
Seems you have a problem with reasoning skills.

So for no reason a girl is offended because a group of black girls walk past her, the black girls don't look at her, speak to her, or touch her, yet they're mere presence is enough that this girl will proclaim the place (which she was never in) as dirty and ghetto and direct it towards the girls that walked past her.

The black girls threw back the insult that had been leveled at them for no reason, and this is proof to you that they had no problem with the word??..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies