Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So what's wrong with that?

Publicly traded corporations have no legal, moral or ethical duty to hire employees. In fact, the hiring of employees is incidental to the primary function of a publicly traded corporation, which is to make money for shareholders, and the corporations have a legal, moral and ethical duty to make money for shareholders.

If you don't like it, change the system. Publicly traded corporations are optional. They aren't a requirement. The US did quite well for more than 100 years without them.

And what's wrong with creating jobs in other countries? You got something against Indians or Chinese or Romanians or Tunisians?

So would you acknowledge that corporations are inherently evil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
It's strange how many white conservatives want to help transport their own families back to this:

Is it a cultural thing to need a master and to choose the position of peasant??
1. Yes, I think it is, especially if they are descendants of indentured servants and overseers. However, there must be other, and different people beneath them (socially and economically) for them to be content with their lot.

2. To be honest, though, I think unions have outgrown their usefulness. There are laws in place to promote safety in the workplace, prohibit child labor, protect the 40 hr. work week for hourly employees, etc. As long as these laws are enforced, I really don't see the need for unions.

3. There are people who have been conditioned to believe in trickle down economics. They are not going to think any different until the day comes when the only thing trickling down on them is ... pee, and that will only happen with luck. Like Ron White says "you can't fix stupid".

4. The oligarchy of yesteryear produced a lot of dimwitted offspring who cannot understand that when the majority of the people do fairly well, things are stable and everybody does well. Stability helps perpetuate their privileged position. There isn't much money left to keep the underclass quiet with welfare, food stamps, housing and medicaid. So, the oligarchs of today are not going to bat an eye until the fully armed malcontents from the underclass and the rapidly disappearing middle class outnumber the police and the armed forces and have absolutely nothing left to loose.

In the meantime, just pass the popcorn.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I agree some shops would be forced overseas, it's a gamble.

Most of the time a 2 tier system inreality means a slow death of the Union and a higher turnover rate as newer workers eventually realize that they will never attain anything close to what the senior Union members have.

The long term strategy works in managements best interest to weaken a Union. At least they're still working.

The last Union shop I worked at had a large percentage of Union members working WAY past their eligible retirement( peer 80 meaning that years on the job + age and then you're eligible for a full pension, ex: if you started at 21 you could retire with pension at 51)

And quite frankly at least half of them were dead weight that would and did agree to practically anything that would preserve their wages, benefits and perks .

Most of these guys could care less for Union solidarity, the Union itself or newer employees. Heck quite a few of them readily stated so.

Newer contract rules allowed for temp workers at a greatly lesser starting rate, no benefits AND they would still have to pay to join the Union and pay 1/2 the dues.
Don't you just love working alongside dead weight knowing that they're making way more than you?

If the unions are only taking care of the dinosaurs, then they have become obsolete.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
No those guys were conservatives. Point is there's blood on everyone's hands but you are right. There's no point in pointing out all these past transgressions. We can leave that for the historians. The problem is how do we get companies to come back and hire people here at livable wages?

The problem is that any 3rd world country can do the manufacturing we used to do better. And at a far far lower rate. For businesses, it all about the bottom line: Profit margin. The CEOs are there to increase for their shareholders.

Then there is the whole H1B1 clusterf*ck. At my main job, I'm still the only black person on my team in a sea of Indians and Chinese. Yeah, they ship these guys in here by the boatload and still pay them below "market" value.
Ahh! the H1B1 visa situation. Good point.

It sounds like a very good issue in an election year. Is anybody talking about it? Heck no.

Why don't you email everybody you know about the H1B1 issue and they, in turn, can email all their incumbents about it?

With an unemployment rate > 9% WHY are we importing workers?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Originally Posted by Dockside
Nobody owes you folks anything. Nobody owes you a job. Nobody owes you an income. Nobody owes you a meal.

I've been laid off before, and I always knew it was coming and why. If your skillset doesn't match your employer's needs, you will be laid off. And yes, they will lay you off with no regrets.

You dust yourself off, go back to school, and develop a skillset that will be valuable to someone who wants to employ you. If you're smart, you get proactive and go to school before it hits the fan. If you're a dope you sit around and complain about those mean CEO's.

You want the world to be a horrible place where your only value is what somebody else gives to you. You want this country, indeed this world, to be just an economy where value is traded back and forth and the quality of the lives of the people (pawns) are not relevant. It's true that nobody owes anybody a job or an income or a meal. And 99.999% of the planet agrees with that. But dismissing morality for a few dollars is unacceptable. The incorporation of business with limited liability, equal rights of citizenship, and no responsibility to the society that allows it to flourish was a horrible idea.

Life is more important than a job. It's not why we are here. If you want somebody else to give you your sense of worth and be nothing but a number, be my guest. I'd rather this whole damn corrupt thing crash and burn and the poor dance on the corpses of the amoral elite. Call me old-fashioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
So what!!! If you don't like it, as a consumer simply do not buy their product. If enough consumers object to the policies of a particular business they have the power to bring them down!

That's what America is all about.
America is a country, not just an economy. The marketplace is so vast now that what Americans do to a particular corporation won't amount to anything. Your approach only works on the small guy and s/he's got a tough enough job of it already. I think laws, responsibility, and morality should trump economic theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
You need to end and REVERSE the outsourcing. Levy a tax on ALL outsourced jobs, retroactively. Reverse the incentives to outsource, enact DIS-INCENTIVES. This is really what the 'occupy Wall St' demonstations are all about - even if they don't realize it.
Good proposal and yes, I too think the Occupy movement(s) would agree to such an idea if they ever come to a consensus.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Originally Posted by Dockside
Nobody owes you folks anything. Nobody owes you a job. Nobody owes you an income. Nobody owes you a meal.

I've been laid off before, and I always knew it was coming and why. If your skillset doesn't match your employer's needs, you will be laid off. And yes, they will lay you off with no regrets.

You dust yourself off, go back to school, and develop a skillset that will be valuable to someone who wants to employ you. If you're smart, you get proactive and go to school before it hits the fan. If you're a dope you sit around and complain about those mean CEO's.

You want the world to be a horrible place where your only value is what somebody else gives to you. You want this country, indeed this world, to be just an economy where value is traded back and forth and the quality of the lives of the people (pawns) are not relevant. It's true that nobody owes anybody a job or an income or a meal. And 99.999% of the planet agrees with that. But dismissing morality for a few dollars is unacceptable. The incorporation of business with limited liability, equal rights of citizenship, and no responsibility to the society that allows it to flourish was a horrible idea.

Life is more important than a job. It's not why we are here. If you want somebody else to give you your sense of worth and be nothing but a number, be my guest. I'd rather this whole damn corrupt thing crash and burn and the poor dance on the corpses of the amoral elite. Call me old-fashioned.

America is a country, not just an economy. The marketplace is so vast now that what Americans do to a particular corporation won't amount to anything. Your approach only works on the small guy and s/he's got a tough enough job of it already. I think laws, responsibility, and morality should trump economic theories.

Good proposal and yes, I too think the Occupy movement(s) would agree to such an idea if they ever come to a consensus.
Yes, the 'Occupy' movement need to coalesce around one or two central ideas - and this should be one of them.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Big American corporations are making more money, and creating more jobs, outside the United States than in it.

CEO pay, meanwhile, has soared. The median value of salaries, bonuses and long-term incentive awards for CEOs at 350 big American companies surged 11 percent last year to $9.3 million (according to a study of proxy statements conducted for The Wall Street Journal by the management consultancy Hay Group.). Bonuses have surged 19.7 percent.

This doesn’t even include all those stock options rewarded to CEOs at rock-bottom prices in 2008 and 2009. Stock prices have ballooned since then, the current downdraft notwithstanding.

In March, 2009, for example, Ford CEO Alan Mulally received a grant of options and restricted shares worth an estimated $16 million at the time.

But Ford is now showing large profits – in part because the UAW agreed to allow Ford to give its new hires roughly half the wages of older Ford workers – and its share prices have responded. Mulally’s 2009 grant is now worth over $200 million.

The ratio of corporate profits to wages is now higher than at any time since just before the Great Depression.

This Labor Day, we need protests | Need to Know | PBS

I have absolutely no problem with a CEO earning 90 million a year; however, ALL income over a million should be taxed at 50% including capital gains. So he would be paying 45 million in taxes. I think he should be able to have a good life on 45 million a year.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have absolutely no problem with a CEO earning 90 million a year; however, ALL income over a million should be taxed at 50% including capital gains. So he would be paying 45 million in taxes. I think he should be able to have a good life on 45 million a year.
The CEOs are making a fortune outsourcing America's future... they should be proud!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
The CEOs are making a fortune outsourcing America's future... they should be proud!
They don't care. Take care of that problem with putting tariffs on any service or product originating outside of the U.S. even if it is an american company that is outsourcing it. The fact is that there is little the public can do to control ceo SALAries. That is up to the board of directors of the company. However, there is a lot we can do about how much money they take home and about how many jobs they outsource.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
They don't care. Take care of that problem with putting tariffs on any service or product originating outside of the U.S. even if it is an american company that is outsourcing it. The fact is that there is little the public can do to control ceo SALAries. That is up to the board of directors of the company. However, there is a lot we can do about how much money they take home and about how many jobs they outsource.
I asked a vp once, what exactly is the cost differential that is causing them to outsource my job - he said 3-1, but the orders to outsource came from above. So who might that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies